On that note, is playing 1 ranked team an all-time low?
by ndzippy (2021-11-27 23:58:01)

In reply to: We lost to the only ranked team in final rankings  posted by btd

I was wondering about that earlier today; I can't imagine ND has ever gone 0-1 against ranked teams during an entire season before.

We played more than one ranked team this season.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2021-11-28 00:07:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Are you referring to final rankings? Those aren't out yet but let's assume that Purdue doesn't make it into the top 25 but technically, we won't know until after the bowl games are played.

In 1975, was USC the only team we played that ended in the final AP rankings? I believe that was the case but I could be wrong. Also, AP only ranked 20 teams at that time.

I think Pitt and Tony Dorsett finished #15 in 1975. They
by 1978Irish  (2021-11-28 00:22:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

won the National Title in 1976.

BC, Michigan State and Ga Tech all went 7-4.

Not a great schedule, but not terrible.

Thanks - Pitt is the second team in the final rankings. *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2021-11-28 00:29:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

At time of game, we played, what, two?
by ndzippy  (2021-11-28 00:17:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wisconsin will likely fall out after the loss to Minnesota.

If this season comes down to hoping an 8-4 Purdue team squeaks in to the Top 25 so Brian Kelly can claim a win against a ranked opponent, well, I think that tells you how good the season actually was.

In a composite of seven pre-season polls, we had four top-20
by G.K.Chesterton  (2021-11-28 00:24:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

teams on our schedule + Virginia Tech at 30th. Who was to know that four out of those five teams would end up crapping the bed this year? If anyone was certain of it, they should have flown to Vegas and bet the house.

Or you could use the AP *
by ACross  (2021-11-28 00:34:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think it's the same.
by doolinbanjos  (2021-11-28 00:40:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Preseason - UNC, Wisconsin, USC and Cincinnati were all ranked.

Dude, preseason polls?
by ndzippy  (2021-11-28 00:25:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Come on

My point is simply that at the beginning of the season, we
by G.K.Chesterton  (2021-11-28 00:27:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

had a good-looking schedule. No disagreement here that the schedule ended up like dog breath.

We get your "point." It's just completely irrelevant. *
by FL_Irish  (2021-11-28 00:36:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If playing one ranked team is an "all-time low".
by doolinbanjos  (2021-11-28 00:56:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

then it's relevant to point out that it is not how the season started. The "all-time low" was as much the result of opponents underachieving as anything else.

If the thread is about the all-time low in ranked opponents, wouldn't the causes of that be relevant?

Stop trying to change the topic of the thread.
by Otter  (2021-11-28 01:09:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Original point was congratulating Brian Kelly for going 11-1.

Counter point offered: Fine, but this was a shitty season with only one ranked team.

This isn’t a debate on whether ND scheduled a bunch of tomato cans on purpose. But the schedule ended up being total dogshit with Florida State, Stanford and USC being unbanked.

Enjoy the wins. I will. But don’t delude yourself. This 11-1 team is worse than ANY team Lou Holtz put on the field, including the 5-6 1986 team.

I'm not deluded.
by doolinbanjos  (2021-11-28 09:03:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This is a 7-5 team that got lucky with opponent's down years, injured opposing quarterbacks, and some last-second errors by bad teams.

After FSU and Toledo, I am extremely pleased with 11-1. This is not a playoff caliber team, and might even be the worst team of the last four years.

Of course not
by ndzippy  (2021-11-28 01:07:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Unless you're going to perform the same "analysis" for every single schedule ND has ever faced.

I don’t think they will
by DBCooper  (2021-11-28 00:23:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Dropping 10 spots after losing to a decent team usually doesn’t happen. Plus A&M lost and UTSA. I’m not sure who out of top 25 would easily jump ahead of Wisconsin (it probably needs to be 2 or 3 teams)

Fair point
by ndzippy  (2021-11-28 00:28:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There aren't a lot of quality teams in the bottom half of the rankings, so Wisconsin may well stick.

Also, Purdue was already drawing votes (3 pts in latest AP poll), so they may well find their way in.

So...maybe 0-1 vs. Top 15 teams, and 2-0 against #16-25. Which is what we'd likely all expect from a BK team.

Indeed
by DBCooper  (2021-11-28 00:35:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That’s why he is a good, not great coach :)

It’s hard to know where the committee has Purdue going in. The AP and the committee diverge a bit after the top 20 or so. Unless they are like 26th or 27th I think it will be tough for them to get in. But they probably should be a top 25 team. They have had a pretty good season. They lost to 2 top 10 teams, a top 20ish team and a borderline top 25/30 team. And they beat 2, at the time, top 5 teams. I’m not sure why that doesn’t get them into the the top 25.