Seven (7) of CFP top-ten scheduled FCS teams this year.
by G.K.Chesterton (2021-11-24 17:48:36)
Edited on 2021-11-24 17:49:58

The following teams all had the amazing courage to schedule and even beat FCS teams this year. If we beat Stanford on Saturday, I'll be disappointed if Kelly doesn't allude to FBS victory totals sometime before the playoff teams are announced. He did last year, IIRC.

1 Georgia
3 Alabama
4 Cincinnati
7 Oklahoma State
8 Baylor
9 Mississippi
10 Oklahoma

Gotta disagree with you re Kelly's voice.
by cmhirish  (2021-11-24 21:27:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Savvy already pissed away any leverage ND had WRT others playing FCS opponents when he rolled over on ND having the opportunity to ever land a first-round bye. Doesn't matter what Kelly says, that ship has sailed.

Besides, Kelly's opinion might carry more weight in the college football world had he actually done something other than shit the bed in playoff and major bowl games.

6 are still eligible to play an extra game (conf champ)
by ndzippy  (2021-11-24 18:49:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Which will bring them to 12 FBS opponents.

Would be a bit premature for Brian Kelly to crow about that.

But that "extra" game should make the total 12, not 13
by IrishTrpt07  (2021-11-24 19:33:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Stopping the "13th data point" argument.

Sure, but OP was talking about 12 FBS games
by ndzippy  (2021-11-24 20:46:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not 13 "data points"

Sorry for any confusion.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2021-11-24 21:53:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was simply about one-loss conference champions from that list that would have the same number of FBS wins as Notre Dame. A two-loss Alabama team would also have fewer FBS wins than an 11-1 Notre Dame team. That still leaves SOS analysis.

Obviously, we have many victories over mediocre teams and very few over top 25 teams, so I think our SOS will still sink us when people do comparisons, but I do wonder (honestly) if the Big 12 is overrated. The committee seems to have pre-ordained that a one-loss Big 12 champion automatically gets in.

We scheduled Toledo *
by Cards86  (2021-11-24 18:27:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In Massey composite ratings, they are 3rd-best in the MAC,
by G.K.Chesterton  (2021-11-24 21:56:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

though they are only 6-5 and two of their wins were against UMass and Norfolk St.

The Rockets give 85 scholarships - not so w/ FCS *
by oldtownirish  (2021-11-24 18:46:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And the Rockets beat two FCS teams this year
by Twinkie the Kid  (2021-11-24 18:56:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

By nearly a combined 100 points.

It's not the same. FCS teams are glorified scrimmages.

Sagarin has Toledo as 71.
by squid  (2021-11-24 19:04:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

72: Texas Tech
73: Missouri
74: Virginia Tech

It’s another example of stupid scheduling by ND. We don’t even know how to schedule a body bag team. I’ll repeat that I think we should only schedule marquee teams - every game should be the matchup of the week. Going 9-3 against the top 25 would be a great season. And more interesting than playing Tulsa and Toledo.

That's just as crazy as under-scheduling
by El Kabong  (2021-11-25 07:14:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Playing top-25 teams every week sounds like fun from a fan's perspective, but throws away the possibility of a national title forever. The players would get the crap beaten out of them. What would be the point of that?

MLB doesn’t play AAA.
by squid  (2021-11-25 11:21:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The talent and resource gap between the top 25 or top 40 teams and the rest of college football is real. And I think a 9-3 team would get in the playoff.