Not me. OSU and Georgia are the best teams.
by doolinbanjos (2021-11-24 11:00:49)

In reply to: Cincinnati  posted by wearendhockey

Alabama may be as well, but we will find that out.

The last thing I want is an undeserving team (putrid schedule) winning the NC because of the playoff. People will use it as an example to expand this crappy playoff system.

I'd prefer a steady stream of teams winning that would have won anyway without the playoffs. In any normal year, this would come down to Georgia, Alabama and OSU. Georgia and Alabama will settle their issue in ten days.

Agreeance. I think Cincinnati will get run off the field if
by VaDblDmr  (2021-11-24 14:32:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

they play Georgia, Ohio State, or probably Alabama. Their win over us makes them look better than they really are.

I'm in the camp that there are two or three elite teams and then a bunch of lessers fighting for fourth, which includes us.

So do I. But if they manage to beat both those teams..
by irishaddict  (2021-11-24 19:20:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don’t see how one could argue they weren’t a worthy champion.

How dare they prove it on the field!
by irishaddict  (2021-11-24 12:24:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If Cincy goes undefeated and then beats Ohio State and Georgia, seems a bit silly to say that they were undeserving because of their regular season schedule. Particularly, as OSU has a loss already, and Georgia hasn't really played a meatgrinder schedule.

From this point of view, why play the games. Just pick which team has the most NFL prospects or highest ranked recruits.

Proving on the field does not mean the last two weeks.
by doolinbanjos  (2021-11-24 13:52:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You've just made the argument for dumbing down regular season schedules everywhere.

Other than ND, Cincinnati has played no one in the top 40, two teams in the top 80 (SMU 44th, UCF 59th). Five of their opponents are ranked lower than 100.

No, I do not think they've proven on the field sufficiently to get a chance to prove it on the field in a playoff.

I don’t really buy that argument for a team like Cincy
by irishaddict  (2021-11-24 19:26:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It really isn’t their fault that they play in a second tier conference. A dumbed down schedule is not advantageous for anyone as it removes all margin for error.

Crazy to me that if Cincy was able to manage to beat the 2 best teams that they wouldn’t be considered a worthy champ.

Right it’s proven on the field September - December
by athlete37  (2021-11-24 17:19:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If you don’t like the teams with the most nfl prospects winning despite 2-3 losses before then, just wait till Alabama, Georgia, and Ohio Starw make the 12 team playoff every. Single. Year. Hell in a twelve team playoff Clemson would still have a shot. Even though they’ve proven “on the field” they shouldn’t.