You're not going to convince me Dan Mullen is worse than BK
by ndzippy (2021-11-22 21:58:20)

In reply to: You are confusing two points  posted by DBCooper

You're just not.

What Dan Mullen did at MSU is better than anything BK has done anywhere. He had that program--that program--ranked #1 in 2014.

He's got a 7-3 record in bowl games, and he's actually won a BCS-level game.

I don't know what happened to him this year...it's weird. But BK's 2016 season was worse.

I think Mullen is a good coach, but I'm always
by smithwick  (2021-11-23 08:40:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

skeptical of guys who have successful programs built on the backs of JUCOs which was his MO at Mississippi State. That model obviously wouldn't work at ND.

2-9 against power 5 in his last 11 games
by DBCooper  (2021-11-22 22:08:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If Kelly did that he would be fired too. Yes, what Mullen did at Miss. St was impressive. He was #1 in early November. Then they lost 3 of their next 4 and ended the season out of the top 10. Is it more impressive than making a championship or 2 playoff spots before getting crushed by an obvious superior team? Maybe, but it’s not like losing to a 12th ranked Georgia Tech is much better in a bowl game is much better. .

I agree with your last sentence. I don’t know why Mullen fell completely off this year, and it may be worse than Kelly’s 2016 season. Kelly should have been fired back then. No argument. But he was given another chance and he has made the best of it. Some appreciation should be granted for that 180.

Mullens biggest issue seems to be that he sucks at recruiting, if he was recruiting at the level he should, especially when you consider that Miami and FSU suck right now too, he probably would still have a job.

To consider the SEC and the ACC
by ACross  (2021-11-22 22:47:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As some sort of homogenous group is silly.

I have always thought he was a meathead but most of his losses have been in the SEC which are different losses and different wins.

Kelly went 2-10 Power 5 in a 12-game stretch...
by revressbo  (2021-11-22 22:27:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

starting Stanford 2015 and ending UGA 2017.

So, no, he wouldn't be fired.

He just gave up SIX first half TD’s to Samford
by crazychester  (2021-11-22 22:06:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This board would cease to exist if ND even played Samford.

Yep. And ND needed a mini-miracle to beat Toledo
by ndzippy  (2021-11-22 22:18:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Shit happens sometimes.