I appreciate the reponse (edit)
by El Kabong (2021-11-21 21:31:51)
Edited on 2021-11-21 21:34:07

In reply to: An alternative viewpoint  posted by amw2320

A couple of my own:

In re politics, we do our best to restrict posts on political views to the Politics board, and we've also tried to limit the more extreme positions on that board as well, so I'm not sure how to address your concern about the "combination of pessimism and politics". If there are people making political points on this board, I would hope people would hit "report post" to bring them to our attention.

In re the pessimism, I believe the biggest difference between NDN and a lot of the other sites out there is our participating audience witnessed actual championship football, either as students, alums, or fans. We know what championship football looks like, and we're concerned the administration of the school would like nothing better than to rid itself of the pressures of said same. If we allow "pessimism", it's because so many other sites have decided to go along to get along, whine about how hard things are now (like ND only decided to move the campus from Miami to South Bend and demand kids go to class in the early 90's), and hold no standards whatsoever.

If you go back to the days when NDN started, this is always how it's been. As you noted, every year we add to our championship drought makes it more frustrating. I'm not sure what you want the alternative to be, because we will NEVER be "that's alright that's OK" about lowering standards. I suppose the best cure is a title, and while we're closer to it than we were under Davie and the rest of the clods, I still consider that an incredibly low bar to clear. I'll settle for being competitive in a meaningful post-season game, and Kelly is 0-4. I think if you saw that change, there would be a miraculous change in the attitude.

I don't care if people are "good Catholics" or not, it's none of my business. Although I also feel if you attend a Catholic school, you should expect to experience Catholicism, and I know a number of former football players, some of whom aren't Catholic, for whom attending Mass was never a hardship. That said, the guy was booted for a months-long trolling campaign that I finally got sick of. There was plenty of other bullshit before his comment about Mass.

Edit: revressbro gives a good summation of the issue above (linked)