An alternative viewpoint
by amw2320 (2021-11-21 18:31:34)

In reply to: ewill, in answer to your question from yesterday...  posted by El Kabong

I want to hop out of the shadows as a long time lurker myself to voice my concern over both the banning and especially this response.

I've followed NDNation for a long time, probably longer than most. It's been a staple of my reading since being a freshman on campus in 2003 - back in the glory years of the ND online community with Blue-Gray Sky, Oldie videos, and numerous online forums. The online scene has changed considerably since then, forums were swallowed up, locked down, and neutered by paid sites (which I could never afford as a fresh grad). The hard work of the board-ops on NDN have kept it a constant source of high quality ND football content (not to take away from all the other ND sports well represented on this board as well).

I think it's fair to say posters in Rock's House always had a conservative view of both the university and it's football program. The fact that we have not had a national championship team in that time is seen as a failure at the highest levels in fulfilling our historic standing as the premier football program in the land. Continued failure in this regard has led to a undertone I believe I can rightly call pessimistic, an undertone has become stronger over the last 10 years. It seems to have become a fight to the bottom of who can be the poster angriest about the state of football, even during highlights of a 55-0 point blowout on senior day.

To add to the frustration, like everywhere in the US, politics has started to spill over this board more frequently, and a conservative viewpoint in the same vein is prominent. It has become tough for me to read as a younger, though no longer young, grad whose political leanings don't lineup, and who just wants a break in all of this polarization to read about football.

I fear the combination of pessimism and politics, has this board is turning into (perhaps already turned into) and echo chamber that, regardless if it reflects the views of most domers, suppresses viewpoints of many ND grads and fans. Outside views of this board often refer to this board as "toxic", a description I may not use, but also one that I have a hard time refuting.

I do hope you realize that when you state an "alleged graduate from a Catholic school" who wonders if individual players faith should be intertwined with the football program "is so antithetical to what ND (and its graduates) should stand for, I made the decision to kick his worthless ass out of here", you are talking about me, and an incredibly large portion of my ND classmates, and other ND alumni. Please don’t forget that 20% of the student body (and likely a higher percentage of the football program) are not Catholic. I say this as a Catholic myself.

Maybe this poster was just a troll, but picking this reason for booting them is disheartening. It tells me and other like minded fans who love ND football that their views are not welcome in this community. That this is the board only for the “good Catholics” with proper views on the state of the program. I certainly don't want to come across as board ops as to how to run this site - as was pointed out, it's your board and you have put in an incredible amount of work to sustain it over the last 20 years. But as a fan who sees one of what I would consider of the great ND football communities continue wall itself off from other viewpoints of its fans and fellow alumni, I’m saddened. But I guess I’m also just wishing for the good ‘ole days too.

What do you view as political views bleeding onto RH?
by tdiddy07  (2021-11-22 12:49:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm at a loss for how anyone could come to that conclusion.

This is well thought out and I agree a bit
by ravenium  (2021-11-22 12:37:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I wasn't the world's most...responsible poster back in the day, so hats off to you for taking a much better path.

The main reason I generally avoid much of the football section is because of what I refer to as "negativity at all costs". I mean, I get it, it's a football board, and people shouldn't be forced into false optimism just because someone wants an artificial balance. But there does seem to be a race to the bottom sometimes to show who can be the most angry and pessimistic.

I think the problem seems to be a sort of a combo of things:

1. A lot of people feel like they personally think the solution to problems are so obvious, why won't we just take these steps, they know because they were there 30 years ago. As someone who got to see that as a small child, but arrived to Bob Davie, I am incredibly jealous. I don't think it means one opinion is more valid than the other. And while we're long on problems, we are short on solutions.

2. Straw men. Somewhat related to #1, I take exception to the idea that just because someone wasn't present during the 77 or 88 seasons, they somehow think it's ok for ND to go 10-2 and get blown out in any major game. I would be quite surprised to find someone who wanted ND to be a regular Wisconsin and have their team's ceiling be a Rose Bowl win (and yes, right now we'd love a NY6 bowl win, but it still shouldn't be our ceiling)

99% of the posts here are that Kelly has hit his ceiling and is a dunce, Jack is a bureaucratic chump who has enough skeletons in his closet to decorate a haunted house. I agree. I'm sure most of the posters on this page agree. Why is it that most posts start as if somehow they are the lone voice in the wilderness railing against oppression of Kelly Lovers, when there don't seem to be any to be found?

A lot of it reminds me of the early 2000s in Boston, where the Red Sox were perennial heart breakers, the off season was arguments over who needed to be fired, etc. Then they won, then the Pats win. But holy hell, you'd think the world was against them. "nobody believes in us!!!" got really grating.

As far as politics, it's an unhealthy obsession that's pervaded society, and it's hard to stop. I haven't seen it hit here, but I confess I haven't been looking.

I used to have to run a large-ish forum for video gaming, so I can greatly empathize with ElK and the others for having to make hard decisions about what to allow, what to boot, etc. The hard part about here is we all are ostensibly ND-affiliated in some way and are Fully Adults - the standard should be higher. We've definitely been getting more than a few "Twitter" style posts as of late, so it may be inevitable. I still appreciate raging against the dying of discourse.

I think you make a great point that can't be stated enough - we should strive for some modicum of respect in our behavior to others. We are young, old, we have a variety of backgrounds and life experiences. That doesn't mean we need to coddle each other, but my rule of "if you wouldn't say it to the person next to you at a tailgater, maybe don't type it" seems to have worked so far.

And finally (and maybe most contrarian to my previous ramblings), Rock's isn't Bean Bag. Expect arguments to get shot apart, dissected, and battled. Come with your homework completed (not specifically you, just in general). We still should strive to not be dickheads to our fellow posters, but be aware of the difference between rudeness and spicy disagreement.

I appreciate the reponse (edit)
by El Kabong  (2021-11-21 21:31:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A couple of my own:

In re politics, we do our best to restrict posts on political views to the Politics board, and we've also tried to limit the more extreme positions on that board as well, so I'm not sure how to address your concern about the "combination of pessimism and politics". If there are people making political points on this board, I would hope people would hit "report post" to bring them to our attention.

In re the pessimism, I believe the biggest difference between NDN and a lot of the other sites out there is our participating audience witnessed actual championship football, either as students, alums, or fans. We know what championship football looks like, and we're concerned the administration of the school would like nothing better than to rid itself of the pressures of said same. If we allow "pessimism", it's because so many other sites have decided to go along to get along, whine about how hard things are now (like ND only decided to move the campus from Miami to South Bend and demand kids go to class in the early 90's), and hold no standards whatsoever.

If you go back to the days when NDN started, this is always how it's been. As you noted, every year we add to our championship drought makes it more frustrating. I'm not sure what you want the alternative to be, because we will NEVER be "that's alright that's OK" about lowering standards. I suppose the best cure is a title, and while we're closer to it than we were under Davie and the rest of the clods, I still consider that an incredibly low bar to clear. I'll settle for being competitive in a meaningful post-season game, and Kelly is 0-4. I think if you saw that change, there would be a miraculous change in the attitude.

I don't care if people are "good Catholics" or not, it's none of my business. Although I also feel if you attend a Catholic school, you should expect to experience Catholicism, and I know a number of former football players, some of whom aren't Catholic, for whom attending Mass was never a hardship. That said, the guy was booted for a months-long trolling campaign that I finally got sick of. There was plenty of other bullshit before his comment about Mass.

Edit: revressbro gives a good summation of the issue above (linked)

Respect your thoughts. I have a simple reply.
by Otter  (2021-11-21 19:31:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The post about Kelly ruining the pre-game mass tradition was out of place during a celebration of a kick ass win. I think many if not most would agree.

Proper response: "Hey man, can't we celebrate and have fun here for 24 hours before bashing Kelly or anyone else?"

That's a reasonable response and I promise even the conservative baddies like Andy would at worst, leave that response alone.

ChicagoND99's response: "Bullshit. Mass sucks. I'm glad it's gone. Never should have been going to mass in the first place."

Ok, I'm paraphrasing, but that's the guy's tone. His entire history here was like Jack Swarbrick mixed with that guy you hated in high school trying to pick a fight. Well, he finally got one.

I'm still steaming over his enthusiastic defense of ND gouging it's own alumni for tickets. My mind remains blown. If we don't like paying high prices for good games, there are always shitty ones like Toledo for cheap. This is a fellow alum allegedly.

Peace to you.

To be clear, his post was before the game *
by El Kabong  (2021-11-21 21:16:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That you view posts as “pessimistic “
by pants  (2021-11-21 19:08:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is a sign you might need to check your own beliefs and bias before you check in here

I don’t think your view of the political leanings of the
by ACross  (2021-11-21 18:51:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Board is accurate at all. And spare me the melodrama about this board “only for good Catholics.”

Now, that doesn’t mean that people like Molly McGuire are representative.

Sounds like you are just a Kellyloving liberal.

The views are not the problem. How those views were presente
by veets  (2021-11-21 18:35:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

was. Good faith discussions between those with opposing views are welcome.