No. 5 in the AP poll *
by panamirish (2021-11-21 14:11:35)

This user did not provide content for this post

Remember that time we were #5 in the AP
by Lloyd Braun  (2021-11-21 19:00:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Back in December of 1977?
That was good enough heading into the Cotton Bowl.
I think I like the old system a lot more than what it's turned into now.

If committee can't deny Cincy, will blame ND and rank #5. *
by rfk  (2021-11-21 16:20:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Some harsh playoff realities...
by irishdemon  (2021-11-21 15:38:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Even though ND continues to rise in the rankings, I think their chances are looking somewhat bleak as this thing crystalizes.

If Georgia, Ohio St, and Cincinnati win out, the final spot will come down to:

11-2 Alabama
11-1 Notre Dame
A 1 or 2-loss B12 Champion

I know many are adamant that a 2-loss Alabama team won't make it in over ND but that will be irrelevant if the B12 Champ has one loss because that team will get the final spot over both ND and Alabama. If the B12 Champ has two losses, that final spot will then come down to ND and Alabama.

Again - which way will the committee lean if it's between a pair of 11 win teams in 11-1 ND and 11-2 Alabama?

If Cincinnati loses that will open up another spot in the top four.

Again, if the B12 Champ has one loss, they'll get one spot alongside Georgia and Ohio St. Which means it will again come down to Alabama and Notre Dame for that final spot.

Considering our 11-1 is soft as sh*t, I'm not so confident we'd get in over Alabama. Others may disagree but I just don't know.

Now if Cincinnati loses and the B12 champ has two losses, that could render the playoffs:

Georgia
Ohio St.
Alabama
Notre Dame

I think the committee would stick 11-2 Alabama at #3 to avoid back-to-back-games with Georgia.

Having said all that, I know many would prefer The Fiesta Bowl vs. Michigan or Michigan St. anyway - and that's two more Cincinnati wins and two more Alabama wins away from being 100% a reality.

In your scenario, I think the pick order would be
by svdomer  (2021-11-21 16:15:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1st – 1-loss Big XII champ
2nd – 11-1 ND
3rd - 2-loss Big XII champ
4th - 11-2 Bama

A 2-loss Big12 champ is what we need the most to get in. *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2021-11-21 18:01:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

... and a Cincinnati loss to Houston --
by irishdemon  (2021-11-22 09:41:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That would take the ND/Alabama debate out of the committee's hands.

I'm personally strong now in the camp that if it comes down to it, an 11-2 Alabama team will get the nod over an 11-1 Notre Dame team.

Need three things to happen ...
by NDFanSince81  (2021-11-21 15:01:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

tOSU, Alabama, and Cincinnati are in a virtual tie. One of them has to drop out of that group to make room for ND, with Alabama facing the most difficult challenge. tOSU and Cincy holding serve and a close game between Alabama and Georgia would lock this group into the CFP. If two teams fall out then our prospects might actually look pretty good.

ND, Michigan, and OkSU are in a virtual tie for the first team out, with OU on the outside looking in. Beating Stanford is not going to elevate ND above the other two. We need both Michigan and OkSU to falter in some way without OU gaining ground.

We just elevated ourselves over UM and OSU…
by Vairishfan1  (2021-11-21 18:12:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

By beating…Georgia Tech!!! Of course beating Stanford in such a way can elevate us even more

Simplest Playoff Path?
by NJDoubleDomer  (2021-11-21 14:22:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Michigan and Cincy both lose? I presume we jump a 1-loss Cincy team due to SOS and optics. I don't have as much faith in jumping a 2-loss Bama in a close one w/ Georgia

AL, Mich, tOSU, Cincy, OK, other OSU all lose another game
by nihilist in golf pants  (2021-11-21 20:19:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If enough of those six happen, we're in!

Cincy will drop 6-9 spots with any loss
by Btd  (2021-11-21 17:27:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They will lose to a ranked team at least - but not a power 5 team, so by definition their loss will be bad. Ours also is bad, but earlier in the year.

Alabama will be out with a loss of any kind. Why? Because they are going to be 3rd not 2nd in the new poll. They would go from 2-4 with a close loss, but they won’t go from 3 to 4 with a close loss - especially since that makes it a first round rematch.

I think that's the most direct. Not sure how likely it is
by ufl  (2021-11-21 15:02:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Michigan is about a one touchdown underdog to OSU, Cincy is more than a two touhdown favorite in their game and I don't believe their conference has a championship game.

I just noticed that they have posted a line for the SEC championship game: Georgia by 4.5

Edit: On the subject of betting lines: The initial line for Florida vs FSU made Floruda a 10 point favorite. Florida is now a one point favorite. Of course we know the event which came between the two lines.

Cincinnati will have a conference championship game
by statsdomer  (2021-11-21 15:15:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

vs. Houston, who will most certainly be 11-1 after playing UConn this upcoming week. It will be a reasonably tough matchup.

Thanks *
by ufl  (2021-11-22 09:13:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The OU/OSU game is a factor, too
by NDFanSince81  (2021-11-21 15:14:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Right now the line is OU by 13.5 over OSU. If the favorites all hold serve next few weeks, then we might come out in a pretty good position.

Georgia beats Bama and OU/Ok St split their remaining games
by RoccoGlobboSchoolForWomen  (2021-11-21 14:55:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don’t see how the committee could justify giving a 2-loss Bama team another crack at the undisputed SEC Champs

We'd get beaten badly by OSU, Bama or UGA
by 105Marquette  (2021-11-21 14:51:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Does anyone think otherwise?

Quite possibly. But I’d much rather take our chances against
by 84david  (2021-11-21 18:47:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The best, and risk getting killed than taking the pu$$ified way out and engineer
a “major bowl win” against a a 2nd tier Pitt or WF.

No. Not at all. *
by Ryno  (2021-11-21 16:33:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I honestly don't know about Bama this year.
by Radi-skull  (2021-11-21 16:03:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They have disgusting talent but could have lost two home games to a not good LSU and good but not great Arkansas.

They can beat anybody at any time but their armor also has some chinks this year.

Agreed.
by Twinkie the Kid  (2021-11-21 16:56:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

OSU and UGA seem to be playing a different level of football than everyone else.

Alabama doesn't seem to have that aura of invincibility as it has had in years past.

But Saban with 3 weeks to prepare for Kelly/Rees? *
by cujays96  (2021-11-21 18:32:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's where I'm at.
by 105Marquette  (2021-11-21 19:34:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Prior to the game Saban would do what he always does: Sandbag with the best of them. "No team has improved through the season like ND has. Their DL gives me nightmares. They've got a stable of first rounders at RB who refuse to go down on the initial contact."

And all those accolades would be long forgotten when Bama's up 3 or 4 TDs at the half.

What's ND's point differential in last 3 playoff appearances *
by thethinman  (2021-11-21 15:39:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There is no objective reason to think otherwise *
by goirish89  (2021-11-21 15:13:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

alabama close lost w Georgia would be terrible
by BRIAN1956  (2021-11-21 14:40:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

much faith in jumping a 2-loss Bama in a close one w/ Georgia