No, the Fiesta will be required to take Cincinnati...
by irishdemon (2021-11-17 09:44:34)

In reply to: I think the Wake/Pitt option  posted by tf86

... this year. They have to take the highest ranked G5 team. It's not about Cincinnati playing in the Peach last year.

So if they don't make the playoffs, that's what setting off the chain reaction that puts ND in the Peach vs. the ACC.

If Cincinnati makes the playoffs, expect ND to land in the Fiesta against Michigan or Michigan St.

I think the rule is
by tf86  (2021-11-17 10:44:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The G5 team plays in each Access Bowl once every three years. I'm not sure that it's necessarily a Peach/Fiesta/Cotton rotation, and in fact, in the first two years, the rotation was Fiesta/Peach/Cotton. That was because Boise State was the G5 rep in 2014.

Either way, Cincinnati is in the Fiesta Bowl this year unless they go to the CFP. I agree that if Cincinnati makes the CFP and ND does not, ND will most likely be in the Fiesta Bowl.

I'm sure it's a rotation...
by irishdemon  (2021-11-17 10:52:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

.. but either way, the Fiesta Bowl is up this year - they're required to take the highest ranked G5 team and obviously that's Cincinnati if they don't make the playoffs.

The Fiesta is of course "thrilled to death" with the prospect of the Bearcats coming to Arizona.

Talking to their officials, they're praying for a Notre Dame-Michigan game - because why wouldn't they be?