I can't ever remember a year with so many mid season....
by Marine Domer (2021-11-16 11:37:13)

In reply to: Fuente out at VT, effective immediately * *  posted by VTND

firings of coaches. Not even close.

This should make us appreciate Brian Kelly all the more.
by BeastOfBourbon  (2021-11-16 15:38:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

[Eyes rolling]

Off the top of my head
by tf86  (2021-11-16 13:20:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

At the Power 5 level alone, there's now USC, LSU, Texas Tech, TCU, Washington State, Washington and Virginia Tech. And chances are pretty good that I'm forgetting something.

TTU has named the replacement. *
by VaDblDmr  (2021-11-16 14:56:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

With Florida and Texas teetering on the brink... *
by ndzippy  (2021-11-16 13:43:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

UF would be foolish to rid themselves of Mullen
by roccoglobboschoolforwomen  (2021-11-16 13:59:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Though there is a LOT of clamoring for it down here in Gator country.

That would make my other alma mater 2 for its last 9 hires..
by Scoop80  (2021-11-16 18:04:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Spurrier was the returning hero whose coaching record clearly showed he was ready to come home, and they were ready to dump Hall, anyhow. The then UF president had been at Utah w/ Meyer, and the Zooker had run his course (while leaving behind vastly more talent than TW left at ND).

They had 2 home run hires in which happenstance played a significant role. The other 7 hires since 1969 ALL ended badly. Spurrier (12 years) was their only hire to last a decade. ND's hiring record, relatively speaking, looks better when you compare it to UF's.

Not sure about your last line.....
by Marine Domer  (2021-11-16 18:17:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ND's last 7-8 were Faust, Holtz, Davie, O'Leary, Willingham, Baer (interim), Weiss and Kelly. I think the success of Meyer and Spurrier matches up very favorably with Holtz and Kelly. And the rest of them......

I should've said that ND's record looks less bad when...
by Scoop80  (2021-11-16 18:23:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

you compare it to UF. Plus, you're forgetting Devine, who was .764 at ND and who posted a 3-1 bowl record (plus as many NC's in 6 years at ND as Spurrier had in 12 at UF).

But that ignores Florida's relative place in the game.
by tdiddy07  (2021-11-17 08:59:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Florida was not an elite program in 1969. It had gone to one Sugar Bowl in program history as a 3-loss unranked team and one Orange Bowl as an 11th ranked 2-loss team. Otherwise, it went to a handful of Gator Bowls as a decent but not elite team.

It's first conference championship was 1991. Up until the Spurrier hire, the coaches you would consider to be failures basically performed about as expected for the program's history. Spurrier greatly elevated the program's standing. It wasn't just a successful hire. It was a grand slam. I agree that it ought to be able to do better than it is now. But it basically followed the same formula Georgia did with Smart. Georgia just got lucky. And Florida got guys who started off okay and flamed out.

I can only assume you hate Florida.
by NDBass  (2021-11-16 17:09:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I do, so I hope they keep Mullen.

I think they would be foolish to keep him
by Hanratty5ND  (2021-11-16 14:19:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He is dead man walking.

Recruiting has taken a hit and if he stays it will fall off even more. Mullen is a PR disaster with his personality.In the conference they are in they can't afford to lose that much ground in talent.

That’s an overreaction.
by tdiddy07  (2021-11-16 17:55:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He has a small class rated 22 by 247, yes. But the last three classes were 12, 9, and 9, and the 2023 class has 3 early commits to put it at 9. So it’s not like he’s entering the Ty Willingham lazy zone.

Yes, the team went from being snakebite to basically quitting after the Georgia game.

If they have reason to think they have the inside track on some up and comer, I won’t categorically blast a decision to go for it. But I don’t see that being the case. It’s very likely that he will return UF to being a top ten team within the next two years. So it just comes down to whether they think there’s a champion out there. My guess is they’d end up testing out someone like Aranda who has some promise but has his own question marks in experience as a head man.

Getting consistently out-recruited by UGA is a problem...
by Scoop80  (2021-11-16 18:20:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

esp. when the in-state competition shouldn't be that fierce. Going 21-5 your first 2 years followed by 12-9 at a program where expectations tend to not reflect reality presumably makes my fellow Gators even more restless.

Since 2009, they've won 4 titles in what is clearly the weaker of the SEC's 2 divisions (after winning 11 from 1992-2009). They haven't won a conference title since 2008 (after winning 6 from 1991-2008). The alma mater I care about is more willing to accept relative mediocrity than the alma mater that I don't care about is.

Everyone is being out-recruited by UGA.
by tdiddy07  (2021-11-17 08:16:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They brought in the Rivals No. 1 class in '18, '19, and '20. They signed the No. 5 class in '21, and have the No. 1 class in '22 and No. 2 class so far in '23. That has more to do with them being hot than UF being bad. The '21 and '22 class has only three Florida kids each, almost all from Bradenton interestingly. Meanwhile, Georgia high schools keep churning out more kids.

Sure, you will have to keep your Florida kids to win a title. And it's doubtful that Mullen will be able to bring in No. 1 classes based on what he's done so far. It's possible he could hit a stride like Dabo and then sell success on the field to turn up recruiting. But it's not the typical path.

I don't know much about the AD. But I'd be surprised if he is ready to can his boy Mullen. And it's not like he has experience around elite programs. If you had someone who was respected and who you know coaches would listen to when he called, I'd feel better about making a move.

But I don't see an obvious path toward championship football. Aranda and Tucker I guess are the best bet with initial (though limited) head coaching success and big time coordinator experience. Then Fickell is the star of the small schools, and he may not leave the Midwest and I don't know what his relationship is with Urban these days to see if he'd have any influence. If you can beat USC to these guys, then I could see a move.

If you had an elite AD, then sure, you could beat SC for either of those guys. Or you could go up and snatch Cristobal. Maybe you could get him with an average AD. But I'm not confident that any of these guys are upgrades, though it's possible. But I could also easily see Florida having to hire Mark Stoops, who is basically a poor man's Mullen, or Dave Clawson who is a solid coach with no big-time experience.

And it may not even be over yet
by Buckyd9  (2021-11-16 13:09:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’d have to assume Manny Diaz and probably Mike Norvell are hanging in by a thread at this point. With Dan Mullen almost solidifying his departure with his teams performance last week, the Sunshine State May also have 3 vacant Head Coach positions available before the month is over.

I’m with you though, Marine Domer, I can’t recall so many firings/resignations before the completion of a season ever.

Me neither. Where are they going to get all the replacements *
by drmurray  (2021-11-16 11:56:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Central casting *
by Stonebreaker9  (2021-11-16 13:15:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There's been much discussion about this
by Irish Warrior  (2021-11-16 11:56:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

on CFB talk radio indicating it may be due to the early signing period. Teams don't want to be left out in the cold with recruiting if there's uncertainty about who the coach will be.

It’s clearly this, and was completely predictable
by Nathan  (2021-11-16 12:10:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think it’s a matter of time before a coach leaves for his dream job mid season and takes over immediately.

Jim Mora kind of did just that at UConn
by ndzippy  (2021-11-16 14:23:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Officially takes over next year, but joined this year's staff so he can start recruiting now.

(Though I realize he didn't leave another job to do so. But he strikes me as the kind of guy who would have.)

Didn't the guy who took the Texas Tech job do the
by TWO  (2021-11-16 16:45:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

same thing...left Baylor immediately and is in Lubbock. I think he's on the staff , so like Mora, he can recruit and evaluate, takes over as HC after the season.