I think we would beat them. But I don't expect to be playing
by Raoul (2021-11-15 17:46:03)

In reply to: I disagree on a rematch with Cincy  posted by Jvan

them again - not in playoffs or anywhere else.

P.S. If we were playing them again, it would mean that we won our last two games playing reasonably well. Again, even if we play great, I have no reason to believe we will make the playoffs. UGA even with 1 loss is in as well as an undeafeated Cincy. I assume if Bama beats UGA in SECCG they are in. Doesn't leave room for many others. Winner of OSU-UM (i.e. winner of Big10) seems likley #4 as is winner of Big12. Both highly likley to be ahead of us.

#6 seems like our fate if finish 11-1.

Only possible meeting is a bowl if both missed the playoffs
by Jvan  (2021-11-15 18:00:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They haven't looked great lately, but my feeling is they are worn down to an extent because they don't have tons of depth. We could play them next week and win.

The problem with playing them again is they would get a month's rest before a bowl game and have plenty of time to recharge. They are also well coached as we have seen. To say the game wouldn't be close is disrespectful to them and overrates our offense. Left tackle is not a huge problem anymore but the rest of the line (particularly Madden and Lugg) are not that good.

I don't think Cincy belongs on the field with Georgia, Alabama or Ohio State, but neither do we.

They might also have the distraction of a potential....
by Marine Domer  (2021-11-15 19:21:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

coaching change. I think Fickell will be highly sought after, and there are some really plum positions likely to be available.

Where would he go?
by tf86  (2021-11-16 08:43:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I could see maybe Penn State, if Franklin takes the USC job, or Michigan State, if Tucker takes the LSU job. But beyond that? I don't think he's interested in any of the Pac-12 jobs, and he doesn't even seem to be on LSU's radar. I suppose Virginia Tech is a possibility, but I don't think that job is as good as the perception around it, and it's a bit of a reach for Fickell under any circumstances.

It's been posited here that he's interested either in Ohio State, Michigan or ND, and none of those jobs figures to open up this year.

Florida and Texas might be interested as well. TCU? *
by Marine Domer  (2021-11-16 11:38:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And bowl games studiously avoid rematches, so don’t hold
by FrMiceli  (2021-11-15 19:19:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

your breath.

I’m not - I don’t want to play them again *
by Jvan  (2021-11-15 22:04:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Good point on wearing down. That is the one advantage
by Raoul  (2021-11-15 18:10:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the big boys like ND and the best of Power 5 have. They get used to playing and adapting. We still have Colzie and Styles despite all our injuries. Alt playing as a FR is an incredible luxury I have to believe many don't have. Our DL is so deep and kept fresh with rotations.

Of course imagine the depth at UGA and Bama. Must be incredible to behold as a coach on the sidelines.

Cincinnati could lay an egg vs. SMU
by Asian_dude_4  (2021-11-15 17:55:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We will jump them