The Covid year only matters for the 2020 season.
by revressbo (2021-11-12 01:57:13)

In reply to: Does the COVID year matter? Will that give him eligibility? *  posted by ryND

He actually didn’t play in 2020 (jt was incorrect on that) but it was irrelevant because last year was functionally a redshirt year for everyone. Now, jt was correct he played in 2017-19, but it’s possible he still could’ve redshirted in the latter two years with the new rules; however, he played in more than 4 games in each of them (and 2017, for good measure), at least according to und.com. Plus obviously this year.

I thought I read elsewhere that Kelly indicated he could come back, but I’m not sure how unless I’m completely missing something (like some weird quirk that, because he didn’t play last year his “covid year” could be applied to this year instead? But that seems very odd/unlikely).

He still gets a Covid year
by MBOIrish  (2021-11-12 02:46:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Quit thinking so logically. The rule is a blanket he still gets another year. So he will start against BC with Phil—get used to it.

He did get another year, and that year was 2021
by gordonbombay  (2021-11-12 09:47:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The 4-game redshirt rule wasn't in effect for 2017, so since he took the field that year it counted as a full season. So he played the 3 years prior to 2020, which was a free year, and now 2021 is his 4th. He can't come back next year.

Yup he could only play 5 years if 2020 was one of them* *
by MBOIrish  (2021-11-12 12:05:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This is the key point. You get 4 normal years of playing +
by btd  (2021-11-12 19:46:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

you got a free year in 2020 on top of that. This is his 4th year of playing outside of 2020. He is done after this year.