Not sold on Buchner, yet. Pyne is the more impressive of the
by Hati Hijau (2021-11-12 01:55:03)
Edited on 2021-11-12 02:10:12

In reply to: curious qb poll  posted by CHUCKND

two QBs. He seems to have better field awareness, downfield sight, and "the swagger." Pyne may have enough Joe Montana/Ian Book attitude and skill to be "The One." If you can recall watching the eyes and demeanor of both QBs, Pyne looked the most comfortable and confident. He needs to be given more snaps to prove that Buchner's theoretical "upside" does not necessarily make a winning quarterback. The "QB Whisperer" and his "mini-me junior-self OC/QB Coach" may not have all it takes to elevate theoretical "upside" into applied practice. We shall see.

Edit to replace initial subject line and final sentence.

He NEEDS more snaps to disprove Buchners theoretical upside?
by NDavenue  (2021-11-12 06:27:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Uhh, not in an actual game he doesn't. If he's not good enough in practice to warrant more playing time, then he likely shouldn't be taking valuable game snaps away from Buchner (or Coan).

You call Buchner's upside "theoretical" but, want to hang your hat on Pyne maybe, possibly, if we hit the lottery, potentially being "THE ONE." The former is much more likely to be reality.

Pyne would not be the first ND QB to be a better game player
by Hati Hijau  (2021-11-12 12:49:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

than practice player. Give him the snaps to prove it! Nothing like being short-sighted and narrow-minded there, Dan Devine. You sound like you are vying for a spot on "Purple-Faced Meathead's" staff. You obviously agree with giving snaps to a theoretical "upsider", instead of making it an actual contest. That is the easy way out, but I guess that's why he gets paid the big bucks - to be a moran.

Feel free to keep being impressed by "The One's" 50%...
by NDavenue  (2021-11-12 15:05:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

completion rate and his 7.4 ypa. Little Ronnie might be another Montana too. We should give him game snaps.

Not a bad place to start under the circumstances at that
by Hati Hijau  (2021-11-12 21:06:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

time. I would be happy if he were another Ian Book. I can barely remember John Huarte, but will Drew Pyne be better than Terry Hanratty, or Joe Theismann, Tom Clements, Joe Montana, Steve Beuerlein, Tony Rice, Rick Mirer, Kevin McDougal, Ron Powlus, Carlyle Holiday, Brady Quinn, Jimmy Clausen, and Tommy Rees. Some were surrounded by great teams, some played under great coaches, some were fortunate with both, and others not at all fortunate. I have led a spoiled life, and enjoyed watching each of those quarterbacks perform on the field. If you can guarantee me that Tyler Buchner coached by Brian Kelly and Tom Rees will be better than half of those I listed, I will concede. However, that is still hypothetical. I have standards for QBs, and Kelly has screwed up too many QBs this past decade. Why should I trust him with any QB at practice? If he doesn't have the huevos to put them on the playing field in competition, he can kiss my Scots-Irish Catholic ass.

What are your standards?

Drew Pyne may not be another Joe Montana, but if he gets the opportunity to show that he may theoretically be better than any three or four of those I have listed, it is worth snaps in the games that remain this season. I want to see an equal number of snaps in comparable situations on the field, then you can throw around a QB's stats in derision. It's not personal regarding either QB, but it is a shame you do not recognize Pyne's potential "upside." I fight for the underdog!

Relax. If he sticks around, I'm sure there will be....
by NDavenue  (2021-11-13 08:38:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

a competition in the Spring. I don't think you fully appreciate the value of quality game snaps as a rare commodity.

Not a problem because I do appreciate the value of quality
by Hati Hijau  (2021-11-13 23:04:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

game snaps as a rare commodity. That is precisely why I would like to see Pyne get more of them.

Buchner looked more poised and confident this game, until the fumble. Of course, the shite HC put the collar back on him and attached a leash to the play calls. Purple-Face can f**k up QBs better than he can coach them. Thankfully, he allowed Buchner back in the game. Everything QB is a roll of the dice with the "QB Whisperer." I fear he will find a way to f**k up both the young QBs. God forbid.

Why isn't Pyne playing at all? *
by Dadknuknutesson  (2021-11-12 05:23:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Because Kelly is in a bit of a QB pickle.
by Otter  (2021-11-12 10:03:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Coan has been trending better but hasn't been as expected. Coan probably deserved to lose his job in the first five games.

Buchner isn't ready to start and play an entire game. Pyne is. However, Kelly knows that if he plays Pyne in the short term over Coan, it will send a horrible signal to any future fifth year transfers.

Kelly further knows that if he plays Pyne over Buchner and Pyne has success (imagine ND winning the Fiesta Bowl) Buchner may very well transfer as he didn't sign up to take a back seat to Pyne.

Kelly can sit Buchner for Coan because Coan is gone next year. But if he sits Buchner for Pyne, he risks losing his prized recruit.

Agree with this. He did not want Book/Jurkovec II
by irishdemon  (2021-11-12 20:17:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Where Pyne is just good enough to win games and hang on to the damn job.

Sure Book won a lot of games - but Jurkovec may end up being a first-round pick. Tough situation.

How many prized qb recruits has the "QB Whisperer" shat the
by Hati Hijau  (2021-11-12 13:43:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

bed on? That is not a theoretical question, but a practical one. How can anybody believe that Brian and Little Tommy will do any better in tandem? Let Big Game Brian's "shanty" record speak for itself. Is he paid big bucks to take the easy way out? H**y F**k No! It is only at Notre Dame that he be allowed that luxury. Thank you, Jack the (alleged) Molester Protector (JTMP!). Heaven forbid that pile of excrement (Kelly) has to exert himself and make a tough choice. If Buchner can't stand the heat of a playing field competition, he should go where his ego and feelings can be salved. A high quality coach, one with a theoretical upside, does not make assurances to a prized recruit that may eventually be contrary to the best interests of the team, and its players. We know Kelly is not "The One." Therefore, given Kelly's dubious reputation with QBs, that may occur with any number of prized QB recruits (like Buchner). Let in-game play with an equal number of snaps in comparable situations in the final games of the season decide.

Coan has been pretty much as expected.
by tdiddy07  (2021-11-12 13:27:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

His stats, which are pretty good, are just a shade below his junior year at Wisconsin. And his stats for the past four games--or after scheme adjustments have been made--clearly exceed any stretch of four games from his junior year in efficiency and would be the best, most consistent stretch of efficiency rating of his career.

Yes, he struggled in the beginning of the year when he had no protection and the scheme didn't account for this. And yes he has benefitted from mixing Buchner's run threat into the offense.

There just isn't room for Pyne. He hasn't demonstrated to be as good a passer as Coan and isn't quite as good a runner as Buchner.

Pyne was our best QB for the standard scheme. Coan is
by btd  (2021-11-12 19:41:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the best QB we have today for the modified scheme. Pyne was a mix of the other two -- the only one we have that can both run and throw today. That was needed if we stuck with the original slower scheme that relied on a strong OL we do not have and will not have this year (arguably ever again as long as Quinn remains OL coach).

It really is this simple. Pyne isn't playing now because Coan is the best QB with the modified offense and that modified offense is good enough to beat the teams we have left to play. Buchner is playing largely to get him reps for next season because he can be a better version of Pyne if he gets enough reps to learn how to throw and read defenses.

I wouldn't call our standard scheme having a porous OL.
by tdiddy07  (2021-11-13 10:24:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes, it looked like we may need a more mobile QB when the QB had to be running for his life. But that's not the same as saying that Pyne would be a better for our standard scheme.

Agree with this. *
by cincysubdomer  (2021-11-12 10:47:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post