I'm more concerned with your second point.
by tdiddy07 (2021-11-11 22:26:55)

In reply to: I agree. Buchner hasn’t shown he can read defenses  posted by 1978Irish

Of the few public passing reps, I've seen a number of real clunkers. People got excited about his spring game performance, but if you look beyond the highlights he had a high percentage of poor throws. The pass he threw against Carolina in the red zone on our last drive was particularly ugly, but it's not remembered because he got bailed out by a generous pass interference call. But the throw scared me in thinking about where he would be if he had to take over the job now.

I'd expect to start Pyne over him next year without notable improvement in consistency.

He definitely needs to improve consistency, but...
by KeoughCharles05  (2021-11-12 10:22:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

he has made some great throws. A deep ball to Austin, and a dart to Mayer over the middle in a tight window stood out to me. The latter especially struck me.

He's also had some real ugly throws and interceptions. (Though, Pyne has just been more lucky with some balls that probably should have been picked).

I like Pyne, I like his confidence, I like his ability to come in and sling the ball around. But if Buchner doesn't beat him out next year, it'll be a real disappointment. Frankly, if Buchner hasn't beat him out by the time the post-season rolls around I'll be disappointed.

Buchner was 6 of 16 with 3 interceptions against VA
by 1978Irish  (2021-11-12 12:17:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Tech and Cincinnati when he was asked to do more with the offense than just be a change of pace QB. Against USC, NC and Navy he was 5 of 5 with a TD in his limited role.

Overall he has 3 interceptions in 25 passes. Maybe he could improve if he played a whole game against a bad team, but right now he is effective in a limited role throwing play action passes on running downs and not throwing on third and long.

Yes, both balls impressed.
by tdiddy07  (2021-11-12 11:18:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And Buchner stood a little taller and quieter on the deep ball than we've seen from him before. I would love to see him improve that consistency enough to take a step forward. But he's got so much noise in his motion, it's going to take some work. Kizer struggled with consistency. He would have some head scratching misses and follow it with a beautiful strike. He evidently wasn't impressing people in practice as a freshman to get buzz. So maybe Buchner can make a similar leap. But I'd take Kizer's base mechanics over Buchner's.