Buchner has a higher ceiling
by Jvan (2021-11-11 18:29:18)

In reply to: I'm not convinced Buchner is better than Pyne.  posted by cincysubdomer

The coaches see it. I see it. Sorry that you don't see it.

The talent is there
by MAS  (2021-11-11 23:36:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hopefully he can be coached to maximize it. Pyne is not even close to him in talent. Neither is Coan honestly, he just has worlds more experience. If Pyne starts that is a problem in development. Pyne is smaller, slower and probably a slightly weaker arm. I am not sure why people are negative on Buchner. The two pick vs Va Tech were bad but they also lose that game without him and outside that he has been damn good.

Higher ceiling, probably. Better this year…prolly not. *
by dweglick  (2021-11-11 21:23:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The question in the original post referenced only 2022
by Jvan  (2021-11-11 21:25:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I responded accordingly. Not sure why you didn't.

Because it’s still the 2021 season.
by dweglick  (2021-11-11 22:16:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’ll worry about 2022 in 2022.

You are responding to a thread about next years QB *
by dulac89  (2021-11-12 07:50:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So by playing Pyne this year, who I believe is a hybrid
by dweglick  (2021-11-12 11:09:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of our other two qb’s and at this point, better equipped to run the offense, has no effect on next years starter? You really cannot answer the OP’s question in a vacuum.

The vacuum is between your ears
by Jvan  (2021-11-12 11:26:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The coaches have already elevated Buchner over Pyne, both on the field and in practice. It's no longer a 50/50 proposition.

Personal insults for not agreeing with your opinion. Nice. *
by dweglick  (2021-11-12 12:13:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not personal - just calling it the way I see it
by Jvan  (2021-11-12 13:34:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If you ever post something of value, I will praise you until the cows come home.

Let's hope he gets close to his ceiling.
by rockmcd  (2021-11-11 20:17:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Unfortunately, Kelly's track record is pretty poor when it comes to development of QB's with high ceilings - Crist, Golson, and Wimbush all lost their starting jobs. He seems to do better at getting serviceable production out of QBs with low ceilings and/or limited experience.

Is that a reason to start Pyne over Buchner?
by Jvan  (2021-11-11 21:22:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or even express a preference for Pyne?

Start the QB that gives us the best chance to win each game.
by rockmcd  (2021-11-11 21:35:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We're not rebuilding. If the coaching staff believes Buchner gives us the best chance to beat Ohio St on 9/3/2022 then that'll be a good sign.

They appear to have already made that decision *
by Jvan  (2021-11-12 11:17:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post