I think there is 1 team
by MAS (2021-11-11 12:26:02)
Edited on 2021-11-11 12:27:16

In reply to: right. # of teams capable of winning the national title.  posted by MrE

Georgia’s defense is better than anyone’s D by a mile and they have a very good offense. Usually I peg the number at 3-4 teams with a relatively close chance. Ohio St, Clemson, Bama usually the 3 every year with maybe Georgia sliding in. When the 4th playoff team is ND or even Oklahoma I still only see 3 capable. This year the difference between 1 vs the 2-4 seems much greater than normal. Bama and Ohio St are a hair behind their normal dominance and have some bigger warts than normal. and well I cannot explain Clemson. Holy lord bad.

I can't remember a year when Oklahoma 'slid in' as a...
by irishdemon  (2021-11-11 12:28:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

... viable national title contender - even with their Heisman quarterbacks and playoff appearances.

in 2017, OU went to OT against Georgia in the semifinal.
by MrE  (2021-11-11 12:31:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That Georgia team lost in the title game to Alabama in OT. So perhaps 2017 OU could be considered title-worthy.

Their lack of D (like this year) usually keeps them out
by MAS  (2021-11-11 12:33:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That team as you said may have been an exception

Speaking of their lack of D
by tf86  (2021-11-12 09:40:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was surprised that the 2018 team got into the CFP even as a 4 seed. If you watched them play at all that year, that wasn't even a Top 50 defense.