Navy could give ND fits on Saturday.
by mkovac (2021-11-04 20:41:01)

OK, follow me here. It's going to be a bumpy ride.

Let me lay the groundwork.

Lou's teams sometimes struggled with Navy for the first two series. Navy would march down the field and either give up the ball on downs or kick a field goal to take an early lead, causing me to start looking for the Pepto Bismol.

And, remember 1988? (see below - sorry for the poor quality) ND played probably its worst game against Navy, winning 22-7. It was a frustrating game to listen to on the radio. I kept wondering when ND would break the game wide open. Didn't happen.

And, most of us remember when Ara decided to retire: it was during the 1974 game against Navy. Notre Dame won that game 14-6, but it was kept close by Navy's punter, John "Boomer" Stufflebeem, who earned his nickname because of his booming punts. He kept sailing his punts deep against Notre Dame, pinning the Irish deep into their own territory, frustrating Ara, who decided that this was going to be his last season.

Ah, yes. 1974. What a year. ND squeaked past Navy and then we got our hat handed to us in the LA Coliseum by USC. I remember that day. I've never heard the Coliseum so loud as that day.

It's hard to fathom that ND ended the season with a win over #2 Alabama in the Orange Bowl, but we did.

And then, those losses to Navy under Charlie Weis. Ugh. Double Ugh.

Football is a game dominated by the quarterback. If a team has a good quarterback, they will almost always have a very good season. Witness LSU under when Joe Burrow led his team to a National Championship, and how the wheels came off after he left.

The service academies have had success with option football ever since Ken Hatfield, and then Fisher DeBerry instituted it at the Air Force Academy. Soon, the other service academies followed.

I remember listening to the December 31, 1985 Bluebonnet Bowl when Air Force beat the Texas Longhorns 24-16. Bart Weiss was the Zoomies quarterback and he was a good one. One play that stood out was when Weiss called his own number and ran right up the middle and ran for 40 plus yards, untouched, for a touchdown.

And, let's not talk about that Air Force victory over ND in 1985. I witnessed that one. A typical Gerry Faust blow job.

So, what should we expect on Saturday? Well, Navy comes into this game 2-6. I watched part of their game against Tulsa. Navy won that game 20-17, but I was not impressed by their quarterback. If Navy does not have a good quarterback, then he gets pounded and tackled in the backfield before he has a chance to execute more than the first part of the triple option, the fullback plunge. It's a long day for a Navy quarterback if he's not very good. Triple option football. First option, fullback plunge. Second option, take the ball out of the fullback's gut and keep it yourself and dive off tackle. Third option, fake the dive off tackle and pitch the ball to the trailing running back. Not too much mention of the fourth option which is to fake the run and pedal back and pass the ball. If you are not a quick quarterback and not a great ball handler, then as you are pedaling back, before you have time to plant your feet to set up for a pass, you are being pushed backward by an onrushing defensive tackle or a blitzing linebacker or safety and you are feeling your sternum being pushed into your spine and you are trying to remember if it's day or night and whether your girlfriend is Teresa from next door or Mother Teresa.

I anticipate that it's going to be a long day for Navy's quarterback, and that ND's defense might score off of a fumble or an interception, or both. At any rate, I predict 33 points by our offense and 14 by our defense, and 10 points by Navy's offense in the first half and 13 by Navy in the second half, with a final score of ND 47 - Navy 23.

Adding on
by ram  (2021-11-05 12:34:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I watch Navy every chance I get & saw most of Cincy & Tulsa

The QB is big so not as elusive but can run over people and, as indicated by the OP, is not as nifty as previous Navy QBs. Bo Bauer should get some hits on this guy, as well as Foskey & a couple of others. Also he makes mistakes with decisions that his predecessors never seemed to make

The other problem they seem to be having us the FB is getting stoned a lot - maybe due to the interior OL not getting a good initial cut or bad reads (as noted above)

Vs Tulsa, they made most of their yards going wide
Tulsa had them 3rd & long several times & they either made the FD or 4th & very short

Everyone gives ND fits. Why should Navy be any different? *
by NDde  (2021-11-05 11:02:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

potd *
by mkovac  (2021-11-05 11:51:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Navy is ranked 94th in the country in rush yards per attempt
by Carlos Huerta  (2021-11-05 10:49:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In the last ten years we played them ('10-'19) their average rank in that category was 12.3 and never worse than 32nd in any single year. This is nothing close to the Navy offenses we've seen and there is no excuse for them to be able to string together lengthy clock killing drives as in the past.

it's surprising that with all of the unlimited scholarships
by jt  (2021-11-05 10:57:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and cut blocks that these service academies still manage to be mediocre at football.

Option defense requires gap and assignment discipline.
by 84david  (2021-11-05 09:16:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And our defense has neither. Freeman's defense gives the DLs and LBs the freedom to do whatever they want to create "havoc." As a result, big holes are opened up and we get gashed for huge gains(especially with 3-down).

That doesn't mean that they wont implement gap and assignment defense. I'd like to see us go with a 4-4-3 defense, given that Navy only throws the ball 5 times a game or fewer. But, we haven't played that way all year.

Navy will be sky high and dedicate the game to Goose. *
by Irishintheville  (2021-11-05 06:54:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Top Gun 2 delay sent some players to the transfer portal
by irishrock  (2021-11-05 09:46:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Iron Eagle 3 is attracting a lot of guys to AFA, fwiw

This is a really bad Navy team.
by revressbo  (2021-11-05 02:31:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It does seem they’ve improved in recent weeks but they’re still awful.

While we should “never” lose to Navy, we should never ever ever lose to this version.

you forgot an option
by jt  (2021-11-05 00:28:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Midline--this is the play that killed us in 1996 vs AFA (the announcers kept calling it a "duck" play). Qb reads the first DL outside shade of the guard out (usually a 3 technique, but it could be a 4i, 4 or 5--inside shade to outside shade of the tackle). If the DL stays home, qb gives to the fullback. If the DL crashes on the dive, qb keeps and then "ducks" up the midline, off guard.

it is a double option play, no pitch option. You also can just run speed option, which involves no dive key (and which Nebraska used to run all the time with Crouch, and the play that set up their play action passes to Winstrom the TE). Most of the qb's I worked with when we ran this offense hate this one, because they're exposed to a hit from a crashing OLB right NOW! However, it puts a lot of stress on the defense, and I know Holtz loved it (believe McDougal ran it for a long TD vs Michigan in 1993). We would have qb's however who hated the exposure and would just check to triple option and not even read the dive key. In essence, it was the same play but just with different blocking; on the true triple option, you leave 2 guys unblocked as your read keys--first DL outside shade of the Guard out and end man on the line of scrimmage (dive/pitch respectively). On the speed option, you either leave just the end man on the LOS unblocked or you can "load option" and lead on him and try and option the second level (which can lead to huge plays, but you need a really good qb who can read that pitch key on the fly down the field).

Thank you, jt.
by mkovac  (2021-11-05 12:16:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I enjoy your x's and o's posts.

I enjoy all your posts!

mk

Lou ran counter option well with Rice & McDougal too
by JBrock18  (2021-11-05 11:41:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was one of my favorite plays looking back. He’d pull the guard and have him block #1 and then either have a receiver crash and block #2 or have that wing back arc block. Both Tony and Kevin were great at getting around edge and executing that play.

yes, he would try and catch the backside OLB fast flowing
by jt  (2021-11-05 13:52:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

he ran that shit with Powlus and Ron was just too slow.

Yes he did and yes Ron was. *
by JBrock18  (2021-11-05 20:47:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Appreciate this- I think Navy ran some midline recently
by garbageplate  (2021-11-05 10:57:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I can't remember the year, but they had success with midline at least once in the last decade.

it's been a core part of their offense
by jt  (2021-11-05 10:58:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'd be stunned if it isn't one of the first things installed in the spring when they put the offense in.

They might run it more in certain years, depending on personnel, but there is no question that it's a core part of the veer offense.

Good stuff. *
by DawsonMayes871  (2021-11-05 08:15:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Appreciate this kind of analysis! Thanks
by drmurray  (2021-11-05 06:54:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Also, Michigan sucks

I made the trip to Philadelphia for that Navy game with
by ArasEra  (2021-11-04 23:28:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

a couple of my brothers and a few friends.

We were sitting near the last row of Veterans Stadium and I swear Stufflebeem's punts went higher than where we were.

The Irish scored early in the 4th quarter after starting at the Navy 27 to make the score 7-6.

The game was still in doubt until Randy Harrison made an interception for a touchdown with less than 4 minutes left in the game. Irish 14 Navy 6.

Ara has said that after that game he made up his mind to call it quits after that season.

1997: We came thisclose to losing on the last play.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2021-11-04 22:44:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was in the south end zone watching the Navy dude coming towards us. We came thisclose to losing. Bob Davie got bailed out by Allen Rossum.

and then the Navy team pushed through the ND Band
by ND Stegs  (2021-11-05 14:38:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Navy football players were apparently so annoyed at the results of that play that they disrupted the ND Band postgame show. I was a senior trumpet player.

We marched from the sideline onto the field playing "Down The Line" as usual. When we were done with that I heard a noise that sounded like it might be another flyover and I was confused until I realized it was the crowd booing. We just stood there for a while with our instruments still up. The band didn't have a horns-down signal, but after a bit the drum major kind of made one up on the spot by doing the horns-up motions in reverse order. As a trumpet player I was in the front part and couldn't see what was happening, but I later heard.

The Navy players had been roughly pushing along through the rear ranks of the Band, mostly consisting of piccolos and clarinets, and therefore majority women. I later talked to some clarinet players who said they'd been quite roughly handled. I heard that the State Police on the field showed up and requested that the Navy players leave.

The Navy coach later said that they'd only been trying to do what they always did, and go to midfield to pray after the game, and "we've never been booed before for praying". The problems with that were: 1. ND and Navy had played every year since 1927 and this wasn't something we were used to them doing ; 2. for the same reasons, they would have been well aware that the ND Band would be on the field at the time ; 3. a clarinet player I later dated said she's never yet heard a prayer that included the words "F*** you! Get the f*** out of my way!"

The ND Band office was subsequently inundated with e-mails from Navy students, officers, and retirees expressing regret for the actions of their team and their coach.

A postscript to it was that when Army visited the following year, they politely asked the Band to hold off for a few minutes on the postgame show so they could do their own Alma Mater and then run down the field to the tunnel. The ND Band waited as requested and all went smoothly.

I recall the incident with the Navy players and the band ...
by Seamus  (2021-11-05 17:25:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My viewpoint was from the corner where the flag pole was situated. Yes, the booing first, then I realized what was occurring. The Color Guard was magnificent that day as an order was given and they marched toward midfield to confront the Naval players. That wouldn't be remotely possible with their current personnel.

The man just didn't know how much time he could take off
by gozer  (2021-11-05 10:16:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

with the play clock when the other team has timeouts...

Same dumb shit he did against lsu the next year that lost Jackson for the USC game while taking an intentional safety...

I definitely blamed Davie
by drmurray  (2021-11-05 06:56:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That Navy losing bastard

Davie tried to lose in 99 as well
by ND44  (2021-11-04 23:18:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He got bailed out by a favorable spot on a 4th and 10 play

I was at the game and could tell from the stands
by MDDomer  (2021-11-05 09:46:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

how Navy got screwed on the spot

That's Awesome Rossum to you. I do believe he earned it *
by denver95  (2021-11-04 22:51:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The “Boomer” retired as a Rear Admiral. *
by usmcirish  (2021-11-04 22:11:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They’ve had a ton of injuries *
by athlete37  (2021-11-04 21:38:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1988 game
by molecular  (2021-11-04 21:03:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was at the 1988 game. It was my second ND game I attended with the first being the 1986 game also in Baltimore. I was a senior in high school and had just finished my ND application. I remember being incredibly disappointed in the game, but had fun sneaking beers while tailgating.

Driving home, we learned that UCLA had lost, and that ND would probably jump from #2 to #1 despite the underwhelming performance.

Back to Saturday’s game- I think it will be a slow start, but I think we will win by double digits. I just don’t see Navy having the talent to compete. I am worried the offense will start slow as we will get cute with our play falling but then we will get into a groove. And bear in mind, I am a natural pessimist and typically expect to lose.