A Little information on our supposedly terrible team.
by Irishwest (2021-11-03 09:45:07)

Okay, so here goes on a little information for everyone. With all the wailing and complaining about the Offense or the Defense consider this. Our supposedly inept Offense has outscored the defense average points allowed ( per game) for every opponent EXCEPT Cincinnati. ( and we shot ourselves in the foot in that game) Here's the details by team.. Cinn. Allows 14.3 per game .. We scored 13 ( left 3-10 points on field due to turnovers).. Wisconsin Allows 17.0 .( #2 Defense). we scored 41.. ( Take out 2 pick 6's and we still score 24). Purdue.. Allows 17.1 --- we scored 27.. Toledo ( #9 Defense) .. They allow 18.3 points.. we scored 32. USC.. Allow 28.6 points.. We put up 31. North Carolina.. Allows 30.8 and we scored 44.. ( That could have been over 50 easily). Florida State allows 26.9.. We put up 41. Virginia Tech. allows 22.4 and we had 32 points. On the Defensive side, we held Cincinnati to 24.. Their lowest total of the season.. Purdue averages 22.9, and scored 16. Wisconsin averages 21.9 and got 17. Toledo averages 28.5 and we did allow them to score 29 ( more solid team than thought). North Carolina averages 36.5 and got 34. Virginia Tech averages 24 points and did exceed their average with 29. ( failure here). USC (Hated USC) averages 31.3 and was held to 16. Florida State averages 29.9 and managed 38 ( shootout).. So while the defense has at times had missed assignments and sloppy tackling.. for the most part they have held their opponents down.. The object is to outscore your opponent. Who cares if they run up and down the field BUT DON'T SCORE. Also the last two teams USC and North Carolina had the ALL WORLD wide receivers.. They both were very skilled at catching a lot of balls.. BUT neither one scored a TD.. which is the object. Let them catch 10-15 balls but keep them out of the endzone.

"Statistics are for losers"
by nannywarth  (2021-11-03 23:00:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Amos Alonzo Stagg first said that after the University of Chicago's game against Wabash in 1905.” “Statistics are for losers and assistant coaches. ... Just a month earlier, the other pro coach in town, the Giants' Allie Sherman, was quoted as saying, “Statistics are for losers.

Hey! *
by statsdomer  (2021-11-04 07:00:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

63.8 posters here would have reacted same. 18.5 hate Santa *
by Frank Drebin  (2021-11-04 13:14:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

100 percent of Eagles fans hate Santa.
by statsdomer  (2021-11-04 13:22:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

100 percent of Dudes hate the Eagles.

The football team or the rock band?
by BeastOfBourbon  (2021-11-04 15:20:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or is it even worth distinguishing between them anymore?

First reference: football team; Second reference: band (link)
by statsdomer  (2021-11-04 19:31:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One ranked opponent. Lost to them. *
by Bruno95  (2021-11-03 18:48:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Point of order....Wisconsin is ranked *
by crazychester  (2021-11-03 20:34:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They are indeed rank *
by Jvan  (2021-11-03 21:55:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What do you think about their execution? *
by notra_dahm  (2021-11-04 16:02:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And our game is our opponent’s Super Bowl!
by 2ndstreeter  (2021-11-03 17:28:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You forgot that. And several had an off week before they played us. Oh, and Navy uses chop blocks.

Navy does use chop blocks, though. *
by GoldCoastIrish  (2021-11-03 18:25:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Cut blocks, not chop blocks *
by garbageplate  (2021-11-03 19:22:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and the refs only make bad calls against ND. *
by MrE  (2021-11-03 17:48:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My head is humming and it won't go, in case ya don't know. *
by doolinbanjos  (2021-11-03 16:51:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You may wish to update your profile
by mkovac  (2021-11-03 16:20:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

at least the "Political Philosophy" section.

So did we beat Cincy? Because we throttled
by COLORADOMER  (2021-11-03 16:19:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

FSU, Toledo, Vtech. Oh, Cincy was more than a one score loss too. Look at all the respect they are getting on the national stage.

Try Enter or Return or ask Chicago99ND for Kelly bonding *
by NDinJapan  (2021-11-03 12:38:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's all relative
by BmoreIrish  (2021-11-03 12:25:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Compared to all of the FBS teams ND is of course not "terrible". But is that the standard? Definitely not. We should be elite, and compared to the elite teams we are nowhere close. That's truly all that matters here. It's great that Kelly is better than his predecessors, but it's not good enough.

I'll simplify your "info" for you - ND failed against the one team on the schedule worth a damn. Sounds familiar.

I'm fine with this post
by tf86  (2021-11-04 08:46:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If all posts on this board were critical of the football program and coach in this fashion, I would have no problems whatsoever with the board. It's when people stretch hyperbole to the point of ridiculousness (e.g., "Kelly is the worst coach ND has ever had," or posts to that effect) that the board starts to go off the rails.

I'm relieved we lost to Cincy
by rvaughn  (2021-11-03 12:07:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This team would get completely exposed in the playoff and we'd have another data point proving why they didn't belong.

I'd rather get blown out in the playoff...
by Revue Party  (2021-11-04 15:26:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...than to have lost to Cincinnati.

We're going to get housed in an NY6 game.
by GoldCoastIrish  (2021-11-03 13:27:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Unless it's the ACC champ.

Good news.
by gordonbombay  (2021-11-03 16:38:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's probably going to be the ACC champ. If Cincinnati ends up being blackballed from the CFP again, they'll be going to the Fiesta Bowl because they were in the Peach last year, and they're not going to arrange a rematch.

It would only be natural for the ACC champ to go to the Peach (the Orange being a semifinal this year), so there you go.

I'll take that bet
by Twinkie the Kid  (2021-11-03 15:39:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If ND matches up against UGA, Alabama, or OSU, then I'll agree with you. Anyone other than those three, I think ND would hold its own just fine.

Caveat
by BIG MAC  (2021-11-04 15:01:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

True, only if we continue to improve.

I suppose
by Twinkie the Kid  (2021-11-04 16:15:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I guess I'm just not impressed with any other teams outside UGA, Alabama, and OSU this year. My comment is really not so much praise for ND as it is an indictment against the rest of the college football field.

Could ND lose a NY6 game against Okie State? Sure. Will ND get "housed" -- I really doubt that.

OU is looking good with the new QB,
by GoldCoastIrish  (2021-11-03 18:24:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But they'll get the 4 spot barring something flukey, like a bedlam loss.

UM will have another loss, we won't be rematched with Cincy, maybe we'd get Bama if they lose to UGa?

Even if OU misses the CFP
by tf86  (2021-11-04 08:55:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They'll wind up in the Sugar Bowl if they win their CCG. The Sugar Bowl is contractually tied into SEC vs. Big XII, so we have no shot at that game. The only possible way we face OU in a bowl game is if they don't win the Big XII.

For my money, Oklahoma State is the most likely Big XII opponent in a bowl game. Even that is somewhat unlikely, though. Most likely, they would have to beat Oklahoma at Bedlam and then lose in the CCG. IF they beat Oklahoma twice, they'll win the conference and get the Sugar Bowl bid. If they lose twice, they'll probably fall far enough to be out of the running for a NY6 bid.

Didn’t they almost lose to Kansas
by smithwick  (2021-11-04 08:04:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

with that same QB like two weeks ago?

Watch our game and watch good teams
by Nyirish08  (2021-11-03 12:05:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We don't belong this year.

Who are the good teams? UGA, Bama…. *
by SEE  (2021-11-03 18:47:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We would give up 60 to OK or even OSU *
by Nyirish08  (2021-11-03 22:43:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Compelling
by ACross  (2021-11-03 11:57:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We still hover between suck and mediocre against a pathetic schedule.

we are the Mega Maid of College Football powerhouses
by jt  (2021-11-03 12:11:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Beating the "average" should be true of any top 25 team
by SEE  (2021-11-03 11:40:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

given that the average ranking of the teams they've played won't be 25 or less.

"[Football] is 90% mental. The other half is physical." *
by NJDoubleDomer  (2021-11-03 11:38:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Glass half-full guy...I like it...
by MR_IRISH  (2021-11-03 11:04:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm the opposite.

Succor for suckasses *
by ACross  (2021-11-03 14:09:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

37% of all statistics are made up *
by molecular  (2021-11-03 11:03:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The fundamental problem with statistics
by KnightlyRevue  (2021-11-03 10:34:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

should be the title of your post.

Wisconsin as an example of a #2 defense when they have padded their stats against: Eastern Michigan, Army, Illinois and Purdue is not an achievement. When Wisconsin has played decent teams: Notre Dame (41), and Michigan (38) they have not looked good on defense. Iowa and Penn State have proven to be mediocre at best.

Toledo has played absolutely no one and they just gave up 52 points to Eastern Michigan.

None of this matters by the way. If we were to play any of the following teams: Georgia, Alabama, Oklahoma, and probably Ohio State and Oregon we would lose and most would be blowouts if the opposing team had time to prepare, e.g. a playoff. Winning the stats battle is nice I guess but I am unmoved by year 11 of Camp Kelly.

As Chuckles used to say...“You are what you are folks"

Right now, we're a football team that beats up on weaklings/mediocre teams and wins the stats battle. When we play anyone with a pulse in a game that matters we have enough evidence to know the most likely result. For people who know Notre Dame's historical place at the table it won't and can't be good enough. No lipstick on the stats pig will change that.

Your point is valid on Wisconsin padding their "Stats"
by Irishwest  (2021-11-04 09:10:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

against mediocre teams. You could also probably find a dozen ( random number selection) that do so on offense. My point was intended to show that while the "offense" has not been lights out, you have to play whomever is in front of you. Navy has a terrible defense and we should score at will. Similarly their offense ( run, run and run) is not the juggernaut of past years.

Play the game and let's see how the cards shake out. And yes this team is not to our usual level. Go Irish..beat Navy.

So you're very confident that we're better than average?
by tdiddy07  (2021-11-03 10:09:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't think you're going to get much disagreement there. Because your position is not particularly bold. When you look at our opponents teams against .500 or better ACC opponents, our performance is toward the top end of a bad conference, but it isn't by any means impressive.

Against teams with a pulse, Va. Tech has given up 10 to UNC, 27 to WV, 32 to ND, 28 to Pitt, 41 to Syracuse. So we're better than average in the teams with a pulse category.

FSU has given up 35 against Wake, 38 (in regulation) against ND, 31 against Louisville, 30 against Cuse, 25 against UNC, 30 against Clemson. In the teams with a pulse we are tops but well within the range of how others have performed. Again Clemson has had a dogshit offense.

UNC has given up 17 to Va Tech, 39 to UVA, 35 to FSU, 42 to Miami. It also gave up 45 to 3-5 Ga. Tech. Our 44 is at the top end of what they've given up, but still in the range of what they've given up to 4-4 and 3-5 teams.

Also, we scored a non-offensive TD against Purdue. Our 20 points compares with Oregon State's 21, Minnesota's 20, Nebraska's 23. Wisconsin's 13 isn't surprising; their offense blows.

Wisconsin is the main outlier. Our 24 offensive points is better than PSU's 16, Purdue's 13, Iowa's 7, and worse than Michigan's 38. There's actually a reasonable gap between what we've done and what those below us collectively have done. Though we're still well below Michigan.

In short, this exercise doesn't tell us anything we don't already know. Our scoring offense is a little above average. Meanwhile, our yards per game and ypp are right about average or a little below average. These are trailing indicators for how our scoring performance might change over a full year.

Nit: Offense scored 20 against Wisconsin, not 24.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2021-11-03 11:20:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The other 21 points came from return touchdowns.

Thanks. I wrongly attributed Tyree's to the Purdue game.
by tdiddy07  (2021-11-03 14:24:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I didn't see it accounted for in the original post. So obviously my Purdue summary should be adjusted accordingly.

Plus imagine the bonanza of scoring
by ACross  (2021-11-03 14:11:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That surely would have occured had spme other QB started

Not sure why this is such a sticking point
by El Kabong  (2021-11-03 15:12:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In the first part of the season, Jack Coan looked awful running the offense. The plays being called for him did not maximize his strengths.

The choices, it would seem, would be to either change the quarterback (and both Buchner and Pyle showed some affinity for the offense being run) or make major changes in the offense.

If you foresaw Rees making those major changes, congratulations, because you're probably the only one who did.

Does that count as winning over all? *
by enginerd194  (2021-11-03 10:26:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They said their would be no math on this board. *
by TheRosadoBrothers  (2021-11-03 10:09:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm angry at numbers.There's way too many of them, and stuff *
by 84david  (2021-11-03 11:24:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

These PJs got yodas and sh*t *
by drmurray  (2021-11-03 13:07:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

they did say paragraphs though *
by DBCooper  (2021-11-03 11:01:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You misspelled bored *
by tar  (2021-11-03 10:17:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There are 130 FBS teams.
by revressbo  (2021-11-03 10:08:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And I'm assuming those stats from the opponents even include an FCS team as an opponent of our opponent in one of those games.

Not sure why it's supposed to be impressive we're outperforming the average opponent. FYI, if people on here complain we're "terrible", nobody means it compared to the average college football team. They mean it compared to ND's historical standards and/or the top current programs. ND is currently in the top 10% of FBS teams percentile-wise. That'd be nice if you're Oklahoma State and reason to throw a parade if you're Wake Forest. But not ND.

Also, claiming we scored 41 on Wisconsin offensively (as you allude with your "#2 defense" notation) is disingenuous at best. And that "more solid team than you thought" Toledo is currently 4-5 in the MAC and lost to Eastern Michigan at home last night.

You're missing a pretty big factor.
by VTND  (2021-11-03 10:03:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Most of those teams suck. Who cares if we score more than the average a team allows if that team is terrible?

Oh, and, Toledo is a more solid team than you thought? They're 4-5 and just lost to Eastern Michigan.

Yeah, line breaks *
by ndtnguy  (2021-11-03 12:01:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe I should put in a table format *
by Irishwest  (2021-11-03 09:46:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or at least embrace some basic sentence/paragraph structure *
by tar  (2021-11-03 10:15:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My zeal to put out information hindered
by Irishwest  (2021-11-04 09:14:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

my need to put in proper grammatical sentences. I am properly chastised.

My bad.

And placing single periods at the end of a sentence. *
by cujays96  (2021-11-03 13:04:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This is unreadable. *
by cujays96  (2021-11-03 09:45:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Indeed.
by OGerry  (2021-11-03 12:32:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Upon opening the post: Nope. Not going to do it.

I could follow it, but the DATA isn't USEFUL. *
by notra_dahm  (2021-11-03 10:59:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

*Aren't* *
by novadamer  (2021-11-03 16:48:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sorry . . . the DATA (set) AIN'T USEFUL! *
by notra_dahm  (2021-11-04 11:44:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post