To them, the ND game is a non-conference game.
by G.K.Chesterton (2021-11-03 01:10:01)

In reply to: Is he done for the season?  posted by TWO

If they beat Pitt and Va. Tech, they'll be in the ACC title game. I'd be surprised if he's done for the year and I wouldn't be surprised if he's not cleared for our game.

Bo Schembechler for 200 *
by RJD  (2021-11-04 09:24:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If playing ND is less significant than playing a conference
by Exquisite_Corpse  (2021-11-03 03:11:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

oppenent. That makes us look weak.

The use of idle weeks before playing ND suggests we are at least as significant as a conference opponent. But it's a bad look if teams start resting starters when they play non-conference ND.

What I am saying is, the chance for an ACC title, especially
by G.K.Chesterton  (2021-11-03 10:41:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

this year, a down year for other ACC powers, may be more important than beating Notre Dame.

That said, he still might play against us with a rib jacket.

Similar sentiment when we played at Tenn in '04
by NDCuse  (2021-11-03 11:27:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Tenn was 7-1, No. 9, and essentially out of the running for the BCS title game which USC and OU were cruising toward. Thus, the game took on an air of a soccer "friendly" with Vols fans concerned with their shot at an SEC title (and generally entertained by ND fans chanting "Fire Ty" during the pregame). While we are much better than in '04 and UVA is not UT, it would not be surprising if Bronco protected a banged up QB for the ACC title shot. Conversely, I expect the fan base wants some revenge after Will Fuller abruptly cancelled their party.

It has nothing to do with our strength, or lack thereof
by tf86  (2021-11-03 09:20:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It has everything to do with the current status quo.

If Virginia wins the conference, they play in a NY6 bowl. If they don't win the conference, even an upset win over us, even without Armstrong, won't be enough to get them into the NY6.

If you're Bronco Mendenhall, given that set of facts, which of the remaining games on the schedule is the least relevant?

I wouldn't call this "resting starters"
by VT2ND  (2021-11-03 08:47:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think that our game is big and very meaningful to them. But winning the ACC is a ticket to a major bowl game. Their starter has a nasty injury and *could* be cleared after a few weeks. The Pitt game for them is three weeks after the injury occurred, which is the minimum time for that type of injury to start healing. Playing against us at 2 weeks - in a game that likely will not impact their ability to reach a major bowl game - probably would not be a wise decision. It's not like they're angling for a playoff spot at this point.

Conference teams value conference/division championships
by TerryD  (2021-11-03 09:55:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

When ND beat Virginia Tech, for instance, Hokie fans shrugged it off, saying that it was irrelevant to the ACC title and "all of our goals are still in front of us."

Virginia would love to beat ND for national exposure, but they want to win their division and play in the ACC Championship game much, much more.