Yep.
by mocopdx (2021-11-02 13:07:45)

In reply to: 100 percent the truth  posted by El Kabong

It's no coincidence that Holtz's performance began falling off after the last of the Cerrato classes graduated. It's no coincidence that that meathead Coach O won a title with a shit ton of NFL talent and then looked mediocre when they left. It's no coincidence that Saban went 7-5 his first year then won a title when his first couple classes were old enough to contribute.

Talent alone won't win a title, but even the greatest coaches of all time need talent to win a title.

Your last point is overstated.
by tdiddy07  (2021-11-02 14:24:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Saban then went 12-2 in year 2 with wins over Nos. 13-14 UGA and Ole Miss, having only signed one full new class. (I don’t know if his hiring made an impact in February 2007, but usually late hires only affect the margins of the existing class.)

Yes, elite coaches tend to bring in elite recruits. But they also show a clear trajectory toward elite performances well before they have a roster packed with elite talent.

No doubt.
by mocopdx  (2021-11-02 14:33:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But my point is one needs truly elite talent and good coaching to win a title. Going 12-2 is something Brian Kelly can do.

Although only recently with any consistency.
by tdiddy07  (2021-11-02 15:39:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Great coaches don't need 3-4 top ranked classes to win a title. But yes, based on Kelly's good but not great coaching, he will need to improve recruiting to win a title. (And there is certainly room for improvement.)

Maybe not 3-4, but definitely 1-2.
by mocopdx  (2021-11-02 15:48:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I forget where I read it, but since the modern era of recruiting, Clemson was the first team ever to win a title that didn’t have at least one top 5 recruiting class. And Clemson had Deshaun Watson and some stellar front 7 talent that performed well above their rankings in high school.

Even the best coaches have to have some elite classes on their roster to win it all.

That sounds right.
by tdiddy07  (2021-11-02 16:09:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And two Top 5 classes out of every 4 (with the others top 10) is certainly attainable at ND.

Prayers work better when your players are big *
by El Kabong  (2021-11-02 14:23:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And luck follows speed *
by IrishRed  (2021-11-02 16:38:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A while back, Olson was doing recruiting class summaries
by montroy28  (2021-11-02 14:18:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

on Cartier Field. He was doing years ending in 1 - 1951, 1961, 1971, 1981.

I was really hoping he would do 1991, because that was my class, and also because there's an impression that it was a class that Holtz really struggled recruiting-wise.

*small nit
by Chicagond99  (2021-11-02 13:34:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

According to most here, Saban actually went 2-5 his first season. It doesn’t matter what actually happened on the field.

It takes talent to win but you can lose with it. *
by Luke  (2021-11-02 13:42:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's not his angle here
by ndzippy  (2021-11-02 13:56:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

First, he's talking about the fact that Alabama went 7-6, but that 5 victories were later vacated.

Second, he's mocking those of us who believe ND should stop ignoring the NCAA ruling handed down while promoting Brian Kelly as the "winningest" coach in program history.

In other words, he's kind of being an a-hole. As usual.