Deep thoughts
by SEE (2021-11-01 13:23:28)
Edited on 2021-11-02 12:43:14

> It's taken 11 years for Kelly to begin using tempo as a weapon, which is frankly what was behind most of his offensive success at UC (which was really only one year of top offense.)

> Punt returns can be a weapon. Really.

> Our offensive line seems to have arrived at a strategy of waltzing with defenders.

> BVG's defense was actually pretty good in year one halfway through the season and then the wheels fell off. Don't know what to think about Freeman.

> Kind of feels like Foskey and Hamilton wasted their years. Great talents.

> Kyren Williams and Avery Davis have moved into Theo Riddick love territory - Anyone see Davis hustle down the field on Williams run? Davis needs more touches.

> Wait, are you telling me that freshman can play at wide receiver? Styles already looks like out best WR.

> As I pointed out below, Styles, Diggs, Alt, Fisher, Evans, Buchner and Colzie all appear to have potential.

> If ND wins out, they will at least bet in spitting distance of the playoff.

I disagree with point one
by BmoreIrish  (2021-11-01 14:58:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He has used tempo before, particularly in the early years with Rees. There was much discussion here about his philosophy that time of possession doesn't really matter, which many here thought (in my opinion, correctly) that a tired defense does matter in big-time games.

The problem is he grab bags. It takes him half of a season to figure out his players' strengths, which should really be done in practice. I think this comes down to the fact that Kelly's offensive "system" (if you can call grab-bagging a system) doesn't mesh well with what ND is traditionally good at, specifically a run-first, play-action offense. Obviously a coach's job is to tailor the plays to the players, but he has trouble because what we have often doesn't align with what he wants to do. He has always felt like a square peg in a round hole.

How far can you spit?
by NJDoubleDomer  (2021-11-01 13:50:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not sure it's past a 1-loss Georgia team or even a 2-loss Alabama team, and certainly not past a 0-loss Cincy team.

Yeah this is nonsense. A number of teams will be adding
by Carlos Huerta  (2021-11-01 15:05:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

their second or third quality wins over the next five weeks and we'll be left asking people to ignore that we remain at zero because after all "if we didn't turn the ball over vs. Cincy we might be undefeated." This in a game where we averaged a whopping 4.61 yards per offensive play losing at home by double digits. Pathetic.

Sagarin currently has our SOS as the toughest in the top 10
by SEE  (2021-11-01 15:46:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the rest of the field is lacking all around.

Team Rankings has us 3rd hardest in the top 10 and we're currently ranked 8th.

Just about everyone else's schedule sucks too and there's a lot of losing to go around still.

If ND wins out, they're going to be on the bubble. I doubt they get in, but they'll be in spittin distance for sure. No lower than 6th and probably 5th.

I like being 5th or 6th. If we would some how come in 4th
by Jymbo  (2021-11-01 17:57:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

we would get our asses kicked by any of the other top three except maybe Cincy. They maybe the ND of the playoffs. Going up against GA, AL, or $OSU could look pretty ugly in the end.