I'm glad we did too
by garbageplate (2021-10-19 20:19:01)
Edited on 2021-10-19 20:23:38

In reply to: Glad we gave LaPhonso a chance  posted by ACross

He's a prince of a man. That was 35 years ago though and I don't think things have improved much in the city.

I think it's reasonable to infer that academics might be a significant hurdle given the academic profile of the high school. According to a recent profile, 1% of the students are proficient in math and 5% in English, which doesn't augur well for college readiness at ND.

So the pond would be good for them? *
by ACross  (2021-10-19 20:27:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Good lord
by garbageplate  (2021-10-19 20:34:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You're right- I'm sure it's a wonderful school with plenty of students who are qualified for ND and I'm just misguided. I'm baffled at why we haven't had more success in Camden, NJ or right up the road in Gary.

We can and often do take chances on guys who wouldn't otherwise be admitted into ND and I think it's great that we do. There are countless numbers of success stories with which we are all familiar. That doesn't change the fact that it's hard to find students who are prepared to succeed at ND from a school with an academic profile like East St. Louis.