.750 used to be expected standard for a ND HC...
by Scoop80 (2021-09-25 16:20:48)

Devine was barely accepted at .764. Even if you count BK’s vacated wins, he’s at .736. Plus, Devine never faced a MAC team, nor did he face Temple or UMass.

Devine had a 2-1 major bowl record, all against power conference champs (2 of whom had perfect records coming in). He also had a NC, something that none of us expect BK to ever attain.

No one ever CONSIDERED comparing Devine to Rockne.

Consider who is doing the comparing
by ravenium  (2021-09-25 18:37:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's ESPN. I have yet to see someone actually make the argument that BK is defined by more than longevity, at least with any seriousness.

I'd feel confident in saying that 99% of this board thinks he sucks ass, at least by our standards.

Scoop I agree with you. We now accept mediocrity
by Pghdomer  (2021-09-25 16:43:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Kelly apologists telling us it's cool that he broke the record, that we should be happy we beat a (really bad) team.

I refuse to "Get used to it."

Sober up.
by irish2x  (2021-09-25 16:47:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Many of can't stand Kelly. Don't want him here. Don't think the Gatorade bath was a good idea. Are pissed he broke Rock's record. And are not impressed with Wisconsin.

And yet, we won. I enjoy it when my alma mater wins. I enjoy it when they win handily. I enjoy it for the players because many of them could have taken easier roads than ND, but they chose my school. And while they deserve more than what Kelly can give them, they should be happy because they earned a win.

Christ, you people make me wish BoardOps would just launch me. A suicide ward is more uplifting than you people. I just assume all of you have are miserable at your jobs and have small genitalia.

Kelly is still the guy that would have bolted for the NFL...
by thethinman  (2021-09-25 18:46:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

after the NC game against Alabama.

I know that.
by irish2x  (2021-09-25 18:57:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Where did I say anything about liking Kelly in my post?

Yup. *
by Barney68  (2021-09-25 17:24:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

dude? do you not enjoy any win? *
by 84david  (2021-09-25 16:38:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Well, if the announcers stopped the Rockne's record talk
by cbiebel  (2021-09-25 20:16:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The record stood for 90 years, well...

First, Kelly stayed longer than any other ND coach (Holtz could have easily beaten the record with one more season).

Second, he had more games per year.

Third, as pointed out, he had more "minor conference" teams (Except for BYU and the academies, ND didn't schedule teams from minor conferences from the 1950s until Davie).

Fourth, how many wins were against top 10 opponents? In his prime at ND (1987-1993), Holtz was amazing against top 10 and even top 5 teams. One season he literally beat 4-5 different conference champs.

Fifth, he has the most number of losses for a ND coach as well. That's 39 losses,Holtz had 30, Weis had 27, Faust had 26, Davie had 25, and Kuharich had 23.

Then there are the vacated wins.

Can I be happy about this win? Yes.

Should I be tolerant of all the talk about "breaking Rockne's record?" No.

Mute the tv
by ravenium  (2021-09-25 21:49:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If I didn't do that I'd have mailed Tom Hammond a bag of dog crap a long time ago and probably been known as an even bigger weirdo than I am.

The next time an announcer says anything useful will be the first.

I enjoy plenty of wins—I didn’t enjoy 2 weeks of constant..
by Scoop80  (2021-09-25 16:53:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

touting of something that was clearly not worthy of such commemoration.

It was an impressive win and an exceptional Q4. It would have been more enjoyable had it not featured a 2d week of comparing BK to someone whose ND tenure he hasn’t come close to matching. Others here obviously feel differently

He's just channeling his "inner ACross" *
by Irisharab  (2021-09-25 16:43:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

C’mon Scoop. Save it for tomorrow *
by NavyJoe  (2021-09-25 16:36:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Kelly said he knows his place right now.
by NW Ohio Irish  (2021-09-25 16:27:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So he clearly understands he has accomplished nothing.

This was a great win. Enjoy it.
by Tex Francisco  (2021-09-25 16:25:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Everyone knows the state of the program, but it's still ok to have some joy every now and again.

Denis Leary applies here
by ravenium  (2021-09-25 18:41:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Take happiness in small doses, like a cookie or a cigarette or a kickoff td return. Focusing on the negative probably will kill us all sooner.

Agreed. I'll be opening a nice .750 to celebrate the win *
by Idsoonerbeirish  (2021-09-25 16:39:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Co-sign for today. *
by VaDblDmr  (2021-09-25 16:30:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Happiness is almost actively discouraged here. *
by irish2x  (2021-09-25 16:29:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They are insufferable *
by jmabc  (2021-09-25 16:33:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Who is they? *
by ACross  (2021-09-25 18:14:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Agreed
by mjbirish  (2021-09-25 16:28:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Enjoy the win. The players today have very little to do with the past, if any.