R.I.P. Professor Reilly
by Hipster (2021-09-24 07:59:42)

I’m sad to report that a great Notre Dame man and former Dean of the business School, Frank K. Reilly, passed away peacefully yesterday. Frank (ND class of ‘57) has a list of accomplishments too numerous to mention. If you took the C.F.A. Exam, or learned anything about Fixed Income as an undergrad or grad student, then you probably carry some of his knowledge with you. Thank you, Professor Reilly for representing our Ladies University for so many years with class, humor and excellence.

I never had him for a class but some of my friends did...
by Kbyrnes  (2021-09-24 19:08:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...and have nothing but good things to relate about him in their memories.

Mary had sisters?
by BeijingIrish  (2021-09-24 10:03:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's Our Lady's University if you really need to use that designation.

Please
by Hipster  (2021-09-24 18:41:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

cut me some slack. Frank Reilly was a good friend, one of the most accomplished academics we had, and a big part of Notre Dame's business school. He was a very good friend and I'm feeling the loss. You should maybe save that type of response for a different post. Thanks.

Wasn’t his son one of your homies?
by ACross  (2021-09-24 21:47:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If I recall correctly his son was a great guy. Your crowd was just awesome.

Mike K, You, the rest, what a bunch of memories from that year. And the next. Before Bro Ed launched me and Dirt within 48 hours of each other during finals. Nice touch, Bro Ed, you dumb dead drunk.

They would have been...
by Kbyrnes  (2021-09-24 12:36:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...Mary Ann, Mary Carol, Mary Elizabeth, Mary Ellen, Mary Katherine, Mary Patricia, Mary Ruth, Mary Susan, probably. That is, if Mary were from the south side, say, 54th & Loomis, back in the day, when Monsignor Byrnes (no relation) presided over Vis Parish and had big parties for Mary like this one:

That was my parent’s parish
by Son of Galway  (2021-09-24 18:12:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And they still would’ve been members in the early 50s.

That was my mom's parish...
by Kbyrnes  (2021-09-24 19:06:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...back when it was becoming gigantic (member-wise), 1920s-1930s.

No joke. My sisters were both Marys, also my Doherty
by sorin69  (2021-09-24 17:46:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

cousins.
Great photo. I'm a South Sider by birth (dad was a Depaul law student on the GI Bill) and we lived in Englewood before moving to the family's hometown downstate. Baptized at what was then St. Bernard's, I think, visible high above the west side of the Dan Ryan. Long since decommissioned.

St. Bernard's was over by 66th & Stewart...
by Kbyrnes  (2021-09-24 19:13:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...west of the Dan Ryan by a few blocks. They built a new church in the 60s after the old one's roof caved in from the big snow in '67.

I saw that when a Google search turned up the history
by sorin69  (2021-09-25 11:01:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of Englewood linked below. The history of St. Bernard's starts on p. 112. It was startling to see Englewood described as marsh land and to see that requests had to be made to cut down virgin forest in order for a former Baptist church to be moved as the future St. Brendan's, which began life as a mission church of St. Bernard's.
My dad rented the apartment through a law school friend whose family (last name of McKay) owned the building.
A South Sider twice over. Born at Little Company of Mary on 95th St. and a Ph.D. from the U of C in Hyde Park (late 1970s). I remember our dad taking us to watch the Chicago Cardinals play in Comiskey Park. Ollie Matson was their star running back.

It's believed Mary of Clopas was Mary's sister-in-law or
by G.K.Chesterton  (2021-09-24 12:07:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

even a half-sister. Does that count?

Hipster is angling
by ndtnguy  (2021-09-24 11:52:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to have the University rededicated to Vesta.

He was a great teacher and a better man *
by Santos L Halper  (2021-09-24 08:27:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One of the best
by bedfordirish  (2021-09-24 08:09:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

His love for Notre Dame, it’s students and for teaching finance was special.

No doubt. RIP, Dean Reilly. *
by nd76  (2021-09-24 11:21:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post