Clemson with -5 total yards Qtr 1 *
by Irish72 (2021-09-04 20:48:31)

In reply to: Overrated  posted by Jvan

This user did not provide content for this post

3 top-15 ACC teams lost this weekend. *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2021-09-05 00:09:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But they were just first games so they dont count
by ACross  (2021-09-05 08:30:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That’s good OL SEE, clinging to the notion that we have a difficult schedule and those losing teams are really winning teams.

I think their run is over. *
by WilfordBrimley  (2021-09-04 23:38:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Clemson OL is atrocious
by JayInTX  (2021-09-04 21:57:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

DJ has had a few chances to take off and run, but his OL is more like ole tonight and looks to be making him gun shy.

Fortunately for them, there's no DL like that in the ACC. *
by NDBass  (2021-09-04 23:08:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I just hope ours is better *
by Jvan  (2021-09-04 23:00:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Clemson QB sure looks worse than he did against ND
by 1978Irish  (2021-09-04 20:56:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

last year.

As I type this he throws a pick 6.

He looks down right ordinary
by TWO  (2021-09-04 21:01:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Of course it could be the difference in facing a good defense vs an elite defense.

Etienne and Rodgers are also gone as well.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2021-09-04 22:25:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Georgia's defense is better than ours, but it's not like the 2020 Clemson team (minus Lawrence) is playing tonight.

We thought we were elite...
by revressbo  (2021-09-04 21:02:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Because we beat this trash QB and half of Clemson’s starting D in OT at home. Kelly’s best win in 11 years.

So, now we’re calling people “trash?”
by mkovac  (2021-09-05 03:35:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That young man is someone’s son. Would you want someone to call your son “trash?”

I shouldn’t have used that word.
by revressbo  (2021-09-05 08:38:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Both because he’s not a bad QB and I shouldn’t have called him that, you’re correct. For clarification, I was only referring to his play (even though it wasn’t accurate to describe it that way anyway) and nothing about his character or anything of that sort.

To answer the question, if it were my son, and some random non-fan on a message board described my D-I son’s play on the field as “trash” or the relatively mundane “awful” or the even more derogatory “shitty” (which are all implying the same thing) I wouldn’t like it of course, but I wouldn’t get particularly offended or care about it too much, and would know it comes with the territory. Still, the middle word choice there would’ve been the more humane choice and the word I should’ve used (even if an inaccurate assessment in this case) and will use moving forward. Thank you for your call-out.

The overall point was Clemson last year was a good, not a top-tier win, but that was proven when they were full-strength against us in the ACC Championship and their subsequent performance in the Playoff against OSU, so really just re-hashing what we already knew. New season tonight.

That “trash” QB was the HS POY and will almost certainly
by NDCuse  (2021-09-05 00:51:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

be a 1st round pick. No QB was going to look good behind that o-line play. Clemson’s team is very different from last year. The returned everybody on D and very little on O.

"Trash" was too far from me.
by revressbo  (2021-09-05 01:30:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He's probably solid, not really good or great, at least not at the moment. He missed a lot of throws tonight; it was not just on his OL. Beating him last year was not a particularly noteworthy achievement. Good win, not great. That Clemson team last year that you say was "very different" from this year's was completely embarrassed at full strength by a great but not elite Ohio State. Beating them in OT at home when they had their backup QB and 4-5 starters out on D is nothing historical or anything that should go in ND lore, despite them being #1 at the time. That was not a #1 team, not even close. Seemed much bigger/a much better achievement when it happened than it actually was. (I am glad for the students though that it did seem bigger at the time than it really was; they got to have a great, fun night they'll remember forever in what was an otherwise awful year due to Covid.)

The saddest thing is, as mentioned, that that win is probably Kelly's biggest win in 11 years. Either that or Stanford or OU 2012. It's embarrassing for Notre Dame that that's acceptable from the head football coach in more than a decade. Thank you Davie/Weis/Willingham for your complete incompetence that this is now the standard.

Nobody thought we were elite.
by SUJB9  (2021-09-04 21:14:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We haven't had a statistical top 10 defense since 2012. We hung with Georgia twice when we played them. This game doesn't change anything about us. We're very good but not at the tier of Bama, OSU, good Clemson. The ACC Championship and the Playoff game proved that. It still was a good (but not great) win over Clemson last year.

There were some in the fanbase that insinuated it.
by revressbo  (2021-09-04 22:26:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Your post overall is ultimately correct, and the main driving factor of division among the fanbase. This is as good as we’re going to get under BK. Good, not elite, and unable to beat top teams (which the Clemson version in South Bend last year wasn’t). To many it’s acceptable. To others, given ND’s history/tradition, it’s not.