Three ND players on preseason AP AA 1st Team
by mocopdx (2021-08-23 13:31:57)

Kyle Hamilton, Kyren Williams, and Cain Madden.

Jarrett Patterson made the 2nd team.

Either Madden is grossly overrated or all of the people who actually follow ND football for a living are wrong. I imagine it's the former, but I hope I'm wrong.

It’s based on limited information
by 84david  (2021-08-23 15:30:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Madden was a 2nd team AA last year, and is the only returning AA OL.
Thus, the media thinks, he must be a first teamer now, based on who is back.

We'll find out once the OL plays together enough to develop chemistry.
He has been the weak link so far in practice, but there is plenty of time.

I think most of these AP types just penciled in remaining
by bleedsgreen04  (2021-08-23 15:00:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

guys from last year's list where they could, moving up second team guys to first team wherever they could too. Lazy journalism at its finest.

Patterson should have been 1st team, and I can't believe Mayer wasn't a 2nd team guy at any rate.

Kyren making 1st team was a very pleasant surprise though.

What is the basis for Madden being overrated? *
by nd67  (2021-08-23 14:26:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

His pass blocking in practice has been less than stellar
by Jvan  (2021-08-23 14:53:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm being kind here.

If that's so obvious
by NDPittsburgh  (2021-08-23 21:06:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Are there no other options? I know spindler is only a frosh but ND had recruited some top ol.. are they all such bad misses? Is madden's run blocking so much better that they excuse the poor pass blocking? I realize it's hard to ignore the loss of 4 nfl linemen but nd should be 1 of the few teams that could respond. OL really seemed to be the best recruiting group outside maybe TE

Perhaps he will improve playing daily against a stronger
by Raoul  (2021-08-23 15:56:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

cohort. Everyone needs to improve. Hopefully he gives us some help in the rushing attack. I think we need to ghet more consistent there. and hopefully his presence pushes as opposed to delays development of Spindler.

He buys us some time we otherwise wouldn't have had *
by btd  (2021-08-23 17:11:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1st team AP All American is the best of the best
by mocopdx  (2021-08-23 14:41:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Madden hasn't played a single down of big time college football yet, and all of his hype stems from his great PFF grade. Many people who played and/or know football well say that PFF's OL grades are questionable at best, and often downright silly.

Reports are that he is solid- strong on the inside zone runs and not-so-strong in other aspects. Asserting that he is one of the best two or three guards in all of CFB without having played yet against a major P5 schedule is likely jumping the gun.

To put it simply- how many 1st Team All Americans are fighting for their job in camp and aren't even a lock to start with two weeks left until the first game?

What are your sources for badmouthing PFF
by RJD  (2021-08-23 19:25:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Blue & Gold Illustrated is always referencing PFF and understandably I have more confidence in them than you.

An example from PFF:

20% of Coan's deep throws were deemed "turnover worthy"- the worst rate in Power Five.

That's an interesting stat to chew on...Rick

I like Patterson as our best OL this year.... *
by Wolfetone  (2021-08-23 16:48:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post