I don't think that the SEC is going to do anything yet
by jt (2021-08-20 14:00:30)

In reply to: Thanks, I meant to ask that  posted by NDAtty

they're still the strongest league and by far have the most pull. With that said, they still at least somewhat need these other leagues for the championship revenue, etc.

I think everyone will just sit back for a bit and wait and see how this all plays out. Realistically, at some point in the near future there will likely be a split between the haves and have nots. I would imagine that this move by the Pac 12 is really just trying to get some security, as they are so far behind the other conferences in terms of revenue that they can barely compete.

The Pac 12 is the only conference with a geographic monopoly
by Tex Francisco  (2021-08-20 14:56:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

which is both a blessing and a curse. They don't have a lot of great expansion/growth options, but I do think they are fairly secure in the sense that it is unlikely any current members will leave.

yeah, that's the problem
by jt  (2021-08-20 16:19:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

certain schools are a complete drain. CU, as an example, brings just about zero to the table and recently lost their coach (1 year, losing record) because they couldn't pay as much as MSU could. They are not the exception in that regard, they are the rule. With Sc down, it is a mediocre conference in areas where the desire to go to a college game isn't very high.

I've heard a theory about one cause of decline of PAC12
by StetsonDan  (2021-08-20 20:26:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bud Elliott, currently at 247/CBS, has a theory that the Pac12 has been underperforming of late because there didn't seem to be as much defensive line talent out west as 15 years ago.

Bud Elliott is very good. *
by MrE  (2021-08-20 21:20:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would suggest it is a lack of desire by USC and UW
by MarkinSeattle  (2021-08-20 21:05:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to compete at a high level. You could add UCLA into that grouping as well, but they have struggled with that for a couple of decades.

I think that USC is just cyclical, they went through a period where they won some titles and were very successful by playing loose with the rules, so now they are focused on winning right.

As for UW, they haven’t been overly committed to winning since Pedersen started. Lake has made horrible hiring decisions and never proved himself as an effective coordinator. The loss of their DC to Texas is going to cause that program to nose dive. I doubt they find a good coach when they have to replace Lake.

The talent has been there. The #1 DL in 2021 was from Washington, but he signed with OSU. Washington and CA are producing talent, they are just leaving and heading East. UW has also been very effective at developing DL over the last decade, the problem has been an ineffective offense.

The Pac 12 has had a lot of uninspiring coaching hires
by Tex Francisco  (2021-08-21 07:16:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

over the last decade, and their one big time hire (Chip Kelly) is so far looking like a bust. Retreads like Karl Dorrell, Kevin Sumlin, and Jedd Fisch are not exactly bold moves by teams looking to compete with the elites. Mario Cristobal is kind of a retread too (27-47 at FIU), and despite his one good season, I'm not convinced he will have long term success. Obviously it's too early to say anything about Jimmy Lake, but he was definitely the safe, easy choice for UW. They may not ultimately prove to be anymore successful, but in comparison, the ACC has done a better job of grabbing up and comers still on the rising edge of their careers, e.g., Satterfield, Norvell, and Fuente.

Cristobal.
by Fresno Mike  (2021-08-21 16:27:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He's recruiting for long term success. Especially on the Oline. Four stars for the most part and he just got a commitment from a five star Olineman. And they are recruiting the other positions well. LB and WR especially.

The Ducks are leaving UW in the dust when it comes to recruiting. And that's the life blood. If Cristobal doesn't make it, it won't be due to a lack of talent.

Cristobal made a great OC hire in Moorhead.
by MarkinSeattle  (2021-08-21 17:33:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Moorhead alone as an OC will mean that they have a great offense. Cristobal apparently can also recruit well a d he was a good OL coach for a number of years.

DeRuyter is also a good DC as well. If you have very good coordinators, you will win at a higher level than your talent, and Oregon’s talent level is definitely improving.

With all that said, I can’t stand Oregon, so I am not looking forward to this. They are like OSU fans only they don’t have the history to back up their bragging.

They truly are some of the worst fans in CFB
by mocopdx  (2021-08-22 11:51:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Fresno Mike notwithstanding, he seems like a good dude, and of course there are others.

Still, they’re largely a cocky group of nouveau riche arrogant ass hats who think they are CFB royalty.

I too am worried with how well they’re recruiting, but I think Cristobal is kind of a crappy Gameday coach. I have a feeling they’re going to lose 1-2 head scratchers every year.

isn't USC at an elite level when they cheat? *
by irishrock  (2021-08-21 00:58:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They are, their desire to cheat is cyclical. *
by MarkinSeattle  (2021-08-21 04:21:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

on CU...
by MrE  (2021-08-20 19:47:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Obviously, you are a lot closer than I am (geographically and big picture-wise).

I would think a home and home for ND with Colorado would be pretty cool. Stadium/location looks like a great destination, certainly not a lot of recruiting value though, admittedly.

On the "value" side, does CU at least deliver a sizable revenue opportunity with the Denver TV market?

At any rate, maybe I have a soft spot for CU in my heart ever since Kordell Stewart beat Michigan in 1994 on that Hail Mary gift from God.

CU just doesn't have the money nor the desire
by jt  (2021-08-21 00:39:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

there just really isn't much of a point in talking about it. They can't compete and they really don't want to.

There are good recruits in CO (one of them in our DL rotation right now, for example) and NONE of them go to CU. CU wastes time going after kids from CA and TX. ND has been in on some of the kids recently (including AK, we also recruited a couple of OT's from Valor and at least one guy from Cherry Creek, and we definitely recruited Gavin Sawchuck who is at Valor and is going to OU).

Walking out of the Orange Bowl on 1/1/91 sure sucked.
by MobileIrish  (2021-08-20 22:01:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The only worse feeling was leaving ND Stadium on 11/20/93.

I still think of the hose job in that Orange Bowl when I think of CU. Maybe I’ll get over it if I live another 30 years. Maybe.

Best reason to live a good life is to not spend eternity
by ChestnutND  (2021-08-21 14:12:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in Hell, surrounded by refs who have made unforgivable calls against us (that's you PAC 10 refs) and the Satan who inspired them. I think I'll say a few extra Hail Marys tonight.

I still cannot watch a replay of Rocket’s return
by IrishLep  (2021-08-21 11:26:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It brings me back to that moment and the anger that I felt as a 12 year old

I'm originally from Texas and have a small data set, but in
by Tex Francisco  (2021-08-20 20:25:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

my experience, CU has a good chunk of out of state students who just want to be near ski slopes and really don't give two sh*ts about the school. Also, Boulder is like a Berkeley-lite. They don't like the toxic masculinity of football.

Which Pac-12 programs would be "haves" in your schema?
by dinger9927  (2021-08-20 14:43:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My initial guess would be only USC, UCLA, Oregon, and Washington but that's just pure speculation.

You might add Colorado and Stanford,
by G.K.Chesterton  (2021-08-20 15:10:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

depending on your criteria. Colorado's problem is that it's been down for a long time.

The Arizona schools have a lot of potential
by SixShutouts66  (2021-08-20 16:32:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

due to growth in the state and continued inroads to Californai's Inland Empire (Riverside, Corona, San Bernadino), which are now home to many families that used to live in the shadow of SC.

absolutely not CU *
by jt  (2021-08-20 16:23:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So let it be written, so let it be done. *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2021-08-20 17:24:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post