Shamrock Series uniforms for Soldier Field released
by roccoglobboschoolforwomen (2021-08-09 14:51:32)
Edited on 2021-08-09 14:58:38

Seems in line with the type of “alternate” jersey that this board prefers. I think they look good.

They’re fine but chock full of bullshit.
by Giggity_Giggity  (2021-08-11 17:06:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just make the damn uniforms and stop with the consulting jargon.

If you roll out a special uniform
by ndtnguy  (2021-08-10 13:31:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and the changes are so minor you have to explain them in a video, is it even still a special uniform?

I am unoffended. Doing something de minimis is basically a huge, well-deserved F-you to the entire special-uniform apparatus.

Of all our gadget uniforms these are probably the least
by CAFB4ND  (2021-08-10 00:44:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

objectionable. So there’s that.

Wisconsin should make us wear white. *
by ewillND  (2021-08-10 10:04:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe Wisconsin should make us wear badges *
by Frank Drebin  (2021-08-10 11:01:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I lol'd. *
by tdiddy07  (2021-08-10 13:33:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The explanation for each element makes them worse
by Groundhog  (2021-08-09 23:46:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just show them, no need to justify every add-on.

Jersey is bulletproof? *
by thethinman  (2021-08-09 17:01:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's a lot of stretching for some of that stuff
by El Kabong  (2021-08-09 16:29:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"The two gold stripes mean rivers and waterways".

Huh?

Uniform looks fine, I guess. I'm on the record as being against gadget uniforms of all stripes. Pick one and wear it.

I think that's the purported symbolism on the Chicago flag
by baronbutler  (2021-08-10 11:28:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One band for Lake Michigan and the other for the river.

Yeah that’s dumber than just “we thought it looked neat.”
by tdiddy07  (2021-08-09 17:14:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I also like how the video doesn’t explain how the pant stripes were a nod to the 1924 Notre Dame team.

Hey, both the 1924 and 2021 teams wore/will wear pants *
by ndzippy  (2021-08-09 19:22:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1925 Rose Bowl
by RJD  (2021-08-09 20:52:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't see stripes do you?

Aren’t we technically the road team?
by revressbo  (2021-08-09 15:17:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I thought we were supposed to be the home team for the Lambeau game. Is that not the case? Wouldn’t that mean this shouldn’t be a Shamrock Series game? The game’s on Fox, not NBC (or Peacock...).

Feels more like when when we played Navy in Ireland as the road team (and ironically had the Shamrock Series in Soldier Field that year against Miami).

Yes we are. This game is on Fox, Lambeau is our home game
by gordonbombay  (2021-08-09 16:01:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They announced when this series was confirmed that both ends of it would be Shamrock Series games (I recall a sarcastic 'yes, that means alternate uniforms' remark by Swarbrick). I suppose that there's no reason ND can't do all the things they typically do with a Shamrock game even if we're not technically the home team.

As for the uniforms, while it's not going to be confirmed, it's likely that UA just repurposed the uniforms they were planning for the Lambeau game for this one (same with the Wisconsin white ones). Those sleeve stripes they claim represent the two bodies of water or whatever sure look a lot like the Green Bay Packers sleeve stripes, and they probably tossed away the helmet they'd originally planned in favor of the Chicago flag thing.

No reason we can’t from outside stadium perspective...
by revressbo  (2021-08-09 21:16:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Things like the pep rally, tailgates and all that other stuff could be done. I guess ditto from a uniform perspective too if Wisconsin allowed it (which it sounds like they are).

But Shamrock Series typically uses ND-centric video highlights, ND PA announcer, signage around the field/ painting on the field/end zones indicating it’s an ND home game, etc. Seems odd that would be happening if Wisconsin’s the “home” team. Which wouldn’t really make it like the Shamrock Series but more like the Ireland situation.

Stripe on the pants looks a lot like the Packers as well *
by jbrown_9999  (2021-08-09 20:54:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The number font is the Green Bay font and size as well.
by joejacktalcum  (2021-08-09 19:07:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They've definitely just repurposed the uniforms and concocted a different story.

I think the new Lambeau date is after the end date of the UA contract, so they figured they might not get a chance to reuse the design if ND switches companies.

Good call. I wondered how block numbers were an homage
by Yodadame  (2021-08-09 21:17:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

To Chicago, where the Bears have a distinctive numeral.

Indeed, that was a criticism of the line Jack fed us.
by tdiddy07  (2021-08-09 17:20:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The game was so important to expand the brand and we do so many things in the location as part of the game. Of course, having the games be on NBC had nothing to do with that. It was an obvious home revenue grab that enabled a night game without the indignity of playing eight games on the home field.

Yes, there is no obvious reason why these games must be home games. And Jack eventually realized the original scheduling format blew and he needed to do something else to make it interesting. After adding night games to the home schedule and promoting special jerseys, revenue is boosted, which might make more flexibility for arrangements like this one. But at this point there’s little reason to make this an annual thing as opposed to an ad hoc event. Other than more night game revenue and jersey sales.

Adding night games to home schedules started in 1982.
by other_guy  (2021-08-09 18:41:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ND played Michigan under the lights in September of that year. The game was most likely arranged by Krause who retired in '81.

And ended in 1990 until 2013.
by tdiddy07  (2021-08-10 13:38:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I understand it wasn't the first time. But that doesn't change the analysis.

Why is there such an uproar every time? I can can imagine
by ColoraDomer  (2021-08-09 15:01:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the uproar in 1977!!! oh no. Kids love these. This is not your father's oldsmobile. Now get off my lawn!