If we need a grad transfer to shore up and perhaps start...
by Bacchus (2021-08-09 11:31:40)

In reply to: Interesting tidbit from Eric Hansen  posted by SEE

...for the O-line, then we have a real problem with depth and development. This is the one position group where that should never be allowed to happen at ND.

Theyve had two classes with almost no production
by SEE  (2021-08-09 13:27:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That’s Weisesque.

Does Kelly ever really give second string OL any snaps?
by jbrown_9999  (2021-08-09 13:16:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I might be mistaken but it seems rare for the starting OL to sit for any snaps even in blow-outs.

Did Barry Bonds "need" to do steroids?
by Boston Domer  (2021-08-09 12:01:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Madden is a reigning all-American at his position. He’d shore up any position group in the country.

Did Patches O'Houlihan "need" to drink his own urine? *
by notra_dahm  (2021-08-09 23:34:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

why didn't he go to the NFL draft?
by MrE  (2021-08-09 12:25:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Christ, he's almost 25 and coming back for a 6th year.

Maybe his AA status...
by Bacchus  (2021-08-09 12:37:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...was a lifetime achievement award.

That's not really the point.
by Bacchus  (2021-08-09 12:22:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As Madden cast about looking for an opportunity, he should have been able to look at ND's o-line depth chart and concluded, "Nope. No room at the inn." That doesn't mean that, looked at in isolation, Madden isn't a desirable addition.

The same might be said for Jack Coan (although I realize that QB is a different position with a history of more transfers among elite programs.)

We had 4 starters leave
by AquinasDomer  (2021-08-09 13:28:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Generally you have some drop off no matter how elite you are when that happens.

I think that the expectation would be
by jt  (2021-08-09 13:37:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that those 4 starters are replaced by guys who've been in the program 2+ years and had been developed.

At a place like ND that should be the expectation, at least IMO.

completely agree. Don't we also have two true freshman
by jt  (2021-08-09 12:00:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in the projected starting lineup?

That's problematic to say the least. At least they've been on campus for a full semester.

He's a bit of an odd case.
by Tex Francisco  (2021-08-09 11:54:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

PFF graded him as the top guard in college football last year, but he needs to show he can do it against top competition to move into the first two rounds of the NFL draft.

PFF is routinely mocked by OL experts
by jt  (2021-08-09 11:59:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

such as Duke Manyweather. PFF posted a video a few days back about an OL going up against Aaron Donald in a one on one and they had the OL winning, when it was clear that he was pushed back into the qb's lap (if a qb had been standing there). It went viral with guys like Duke, Willie Anderson, and current and former NFL players just mocking them.

I would take anything that they say with a grain of salt; even for guys who understand OL play, it's hard to evaluate guys without knowing the schemes and what they're being asked to do. On one play, it might look like a guy was beat, but if the scheme called for help and the guy next to him didn't do his job, it can make the guy look bad, and that's not something you would just know from watching tape and being in the room.

There was an example...........
by Ty Webb  (2021-08-09 13:13:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

where they gave Nelson a bad grade on a play in a Colts game. People pointed out that the grader didn't understand the blocking scheme and that Nelson, had in fact, made the right block.

They arent the only service that graded Madden highly. *
by 84david  (2021-08-09 12:19:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Madden might be a great player for all I know
by jt  (2021-08-09 13:35:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I am just saying that I wouldn't base any sort of evaluation off of what PFF says.