Things that make you go hmmm
by SEE (2021-08-05 12:23:39)

Kate Swarbrick | VP, Marketing, Peacock

To be clear no one should be throwing Shade her way.

That the NCAA banished a minor athelete for a Youtube
by 88_92WSND  (2021-08-06 06:59:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

channel while allowing the relatives of multi-million dollar salaried decision makers to work for companies with financial stakes as large as NBC and UA with out batting an eyelash apparently is disgusting.

An enterprising Observer reporter could make his/her bones
by FL_Irish  (2021-08-05 20:28:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...on this.

Indeed
by Raoul  (2021-08-06 13:13:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

it is not hard to use LinkedIn and a little thought to see more examples of ND leader's kids leveraging their parents' roles at ND - or should I say, more correctly, ND leaders seemingly using their influence and quid pro quo ability with the ND brand to assist their kids.

It is an old story in the world - who you know - but these days social media allows for an enterprising person to identify some of these relationships and at least ask some tough questions of those who are in position to exploit their roles.

It may well be there is no speific quid pro quo. There are certainly some appearances of it with Jack - and a couple others.

Meritocracy is critical to achieve for everyone, especially with divirse candidates. But dammit, let's not start until after my kids have had their chance to use my connections.

Jesus.
by airborneirish  (2021-08-07 22:04:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That or maybe the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree for interests of kids. These are high achieving people. I’m no fortunate son but this is pretty tame and not a good look for the board.

Have any of them worked for US Gymnastics? *
by 88_92WSND  (2021-08-08 17:30:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Mere coincidences, I'm certain ...
by CJC  (2021-08-08 17:01:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If these kids are as talented as their old man -- cough, cough -- they should have no trouble landing on their feet and even thriving a thousand places other than Notre Dame's business "partners."

It's not this board that's looking horrible here.

In the words of the first Mayor Daly
by tb-sb  (2021-08-08 16:43:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What's this world coming to, if a father can't help his kids?

Let them work for Nike, not Under Armour.
by squid  (2021-08-08 16:19:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

CBS, not NBC. CAA, not Wasserman.

And somewhere else, not Notre Dame.

The problem is not just Swarbrick's kids benefitting
by SorinBasement  (2021-08-06 14:03:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

from his connections. It's an even bigger concern that he may not be acting in the best interest of Notre Dame when he chooses to work with companies that employ his kids.

Is a deal with Under Armour the best deal for ND, or the best deal for his son? Is a deal with Peacock the best deal for ND (and its students, alums and fans), or the best deal for his daughter?

It is really very similar to the Varsity Blues scandal....
by Raoul  (2021-08-06 14:54:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You had employees of the university in position to influence outcomes (in that case if kids get in) willing to take bribes in exchange.

Here you could have him selecting (or maintaining) ND vendors and partners based on the child's employment. There is the initial job and then promotions as the relationship builds and the profits grow. He's a smart lawyer - this is far more difficult to prove. The best you can probably do is connect the dots and say this creates a bad appearance. And he can say appearances don't matter - everyone is getting their situation (partnerships, kid's jobs) through pure merit. Some companies would not allow this. ND obviously does. Jenkins knows - he officiated her wedding.

P.S. His son-in-law, her husband, appears to have also benefited. But his appear to be more of benefiting from Jack's connections rather than leveraging specific ND vendors.

Good point re: Varsity Blues. *
by FL_Irish  (2021-08-06 15:01:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Guess who negotiates our NBC contract? (Link)
by Raoul  (2021-08-06 15:29:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This is getting hilarious.....Wasserman (aka TeamWass) where someone named Connor Swarbrick works since 2011. Nothing like having family members cover all sides of a transaction. The big winner is Team Swarbrick.

Funny - Cal Swarbrick has a brother named Connor... *
by 88_92WSND  (2021-08-07 11:04:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

!! *
by squid  (2021-08-06 16:28:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That’s a great idea *
by Son of Galway  (2021-08-05 20:30:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Fire Jack Swarbrick *
by arch_moore  (2021-08-05 19:55:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'd like to believe that these bouts of self-dealing haven't
by VaDblDmr  (2021-08-05 17:47:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

gone unnoticed by the NCAA, ACC, or whatever other entities he has undoubtedly aspired to head but has come up short on.

I'm pretty sure they haven't gone unnoticed by ND either.
by SWPaDem  (2021-08-06 07:25:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But they obviously don't care. If only the NCAA or ACC didn't care enough to take him off our hands.

"Appearance of impropriety," a foreign term apparently *
by knutesteen  (2021-08-05 17:00:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hmmm again.
by squid  (2021-08-05 16:02:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Cal Swarbrick
Global Brand Marketing, Team Sports at Under Armour
Baltimore, Maryland, United States

"Begrudgingly, Cal had to miss the first 3 days of Senior year College Spring Break to go interview at Under Armour in Baltimore."

Must have been a challenging interview.

(Edited)

What a tawdry story
by ndtnguy  (2021-08-05 17:08:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It never occurred to me that people would gush about living together before marriage, or admit to asking one's intended mother-in-law whether to propose. Good grief, people, take advantage of the ability to tell a flattering version of your own story. Perhaps a lack of self-awareness runs in the family.

I wish I hadn't shared it.
by squid  (2021-08-05 18:04:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No one needs their wedding website critiqued. I didn't realize his position was already known by many on the board. And when I googled to see where the Swarbrick children worked, I found his wedding site first, typed it up and then backfilled with the LinkedIn. I could have just used that.

DId you read his linkedin profile?
by NDFanSince81  (2021-08-05 16:23:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Who, after seven years of experience, lists Microsoft Word as second most relevant qualification?

This screams sinecure and conflict of interest.

Rather unremarkable *
by elterrible  (2021-08-05 16:50:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So I should remove, I can ride bike with no hands as a
by ryND  (2021-08-05 16:26:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

qualification.

Depends...You ever take it off any sweet jumps? *
by TAR  (2021-08-05 16:53:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Pretty wicked on my Redline jumping off curbs *
by ryND  (2021-08-05 17:36:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A lost art!
by njnd96  (2021-08-06 08:43:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

When I was a kid, jumping off of rounded driveway curbs was 50% of your bike ride.

You got shocks, pegs... lucky! *
by TAR  (2021-08-05 20:52:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Swarbrick: ND VP & Director of Athletics & "Quid Pro Quo"
by Hickster  (2021-08-05 15:55:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Continual scheduling soup can games with the MAC, will result in all those games being televised by Peacock. All of the spinning that Swarbrick has made about being on Peacock is good, is bullshit.

Heck, Goldman Sachs restricts their traders to a maximum of one meal a month with their clients, to avoid the appearance of conflicts of interest. How much are those jobs worth for JS's children (a lot more than one meal a month). This goes way beyond an appearance of a conflict of interest - it is a flagrant conflict of interest. There is a trend here with his son being an executive with Under Armour. How are those Under Armour stock options going for ND's portfolio negotiated by JS - how much are those positions worth for JS's children?

This is real conflict of interest and unbelievable that Fr. Jenkins allows this to happen with JS - he has a fiduciary responsibility to correct this situation. The Board of Trustees needs to step in if Fr. Jenkins refuses to correct this.

Keep an eye out for "Allied Sports", as they
by 88_92WSND  (2021-08-07 12:21:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

also have a tie (a good number of former IMG employees left IMG/Endeavor when Allied was founded, it looks like)

I'm reminded of a Sly Stone classic hit now...
by Scoop80  (2021-08-05 16:13:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Being AD at ND is truly a family affair for $awbucks. Between naked conflicts of interest, his tenure w/ USA Gymnastics, and his stint as a part-time weather forecaster, he has compiled a fascinating record. Not every ND AD has seen the FB program have a preventable death at practice and a season's worth of victories forfeited during his tenure.

Nit: Two seasons' worth of victories. *
by IrishJosh24  (2021-08-05 17:17:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Two badly negotiated contracts, with Jack's kids
by ryND  (2021-08-05 15:59:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

benefiting in someway. Nah, nothing dirty or inappropriate in either of these deals.

Thought The Kennedy School of Ethics was at Georgetown
by Frank Drebin  (2021-08-05 14:40:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Didn’t realize it was recently transferred to Notre Dame

More appropriate if there was a Nixon Institute of Ethics at
by Hickster  (2021-08-05 16:13:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Duke, named after their Law School grad

I know I'd be fired from my job for this sort of thing.
by socal_doubledomer74  (2021-08-05 14:38:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Disgusting.

I almost miss El Medico Blanco...
by Scoop80  (2021-08-05 14:25:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ALMOST.

Ridiculous that Jenkins allows this to happen.
by ryND  (2021-08-05 14:09:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This screams conflict of interest. She has a right to work their , but it looks bad. Maybe that is why our contract is so undervalued.

You kidding? That's now the Notre Dame Way. *
by tdiddy07  (2021-08-05 14:23:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nobody could have possibly foreseen any conflict.
by Otter  (2021-08-05 13:13:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

NotreDameTrump twitter account was on this in 2017...

That's why we have never even entertained any bids from...
by Pangborn1976  (2021-08-05 13:08:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

other networks (like Fox) to televise ND f-ball games - and I bet it's costing us millions

Note: a 10-year extension was signed in 2013, which is the
by G.K.Chesterton  (2021-08-05 13:44:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

most recent contract extension with NBC. Was she already with NBC/Universal at that time?

I'm guessing that she was not a gymnast
by jt  (2021-08-05 12:51:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

allegedly

You're on a roll the past few days * *
by Scoop80  (2021-08-05 14:24:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

corporate partner
by SWPaDem  (2021-08-05 13:08:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

allegedly

if only ND were subject to sunshine laws... *
by melanzana  (2021-08-05 12:38:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nepotism has always been a big part of NBC/Comcast culture
by Raoul  (2021-08-05 12:38:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This makes complete sense now all around.

P.S. Apologies if not his daughter.

Nepotism is the sincerest form of flattery
by Murcer68  (2021-08-05 16:47:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We need to get a Savvy relative hired at Comcast so Murcer68 can access the ACC Network.

Absolutely his daughter
by Otter  (2021-08-05 13:02:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

See linked article. Married at Sacred Heart Basilica by the Rev. John Jenkins. Man, it's good to be born rich.

Wow, that is ridiculous *
by Son of Galway  (2021-08-05 12:32:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Looks like it’s VP of Creative Partnerships.
by A1Leprechaun (click here to email the poster)  (2021-08-05 12:32:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

“Creative Partnerships” indeed.

Partnerships: Swarbrick + NBC + Comcast - Not that creative *
by Raoul  (2021-08-05 12:39:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

When you add UA it is...
by graNDfan  (2021-08-05 14:54:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It takes some pretty creative work to tank a clothing company...

LinkedIn: “VP, Creative Partnerships, Peacock at NBC Univer. *
by rfk  (2021-08-05 12:30:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I love how her Linked In is Kate S. No last name
by 512  (2021-08-05 13:44:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

99.9% of every Linked In account I see has the persons full name.

Good job, you are fooling everyone sweetie.

Consider removing the last word of your post.
by IrishJosh24  (2021-08-05 13:51:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It is, at best, condescending and unnecessary.

The "partnership" and nepotism on display here is wrong and should be called out. But your parting swipe stinks of sexism.

Lighten up, Francis.
by The Beef  (2021-08-05 19:45:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You apparently don’t get the reference.

I agree with Josh.
by potatohouse  (2021-08-06 09:23:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't think 512 committed a felony. But I also don't think it had anything to do with Holly Rowe. Just an unnecessary pejorative that didn't need to be added to a good point already made. Were I a woman, I don't think I'd be amused.

Is the reference the video below?
by IrishJosh24  (2021-08-05 21:28:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I mean, it made me think of that video, which doesn't use the same pejorative and doesn't have anything to do with Swarbrick, his daughter, NBC, or nepotism. It's just a solid example of sexism.

But maybe there is some really fitting, hilarious, non-sexist reference there. If so, you're right; I don't get it, which is part of the reason I said "consider."

It's 49-21
by JimmyIrish  (2021-08-05 16:33:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sweetheart