I questioned the validity as well.
by Goldhelmethead (2021-07-20 20:58:23)

In reply to: We shouldn’t care how other people spend their money  posted by DBCooper

Like all sports contracts, the key word is worth. I have no idea about this kids contracts or sponsors. I wouldn't be surprised if like pro contracts that they may be performance layered with different levels of incentives. Who knows? This is all so new and the scenarios and situations will take many different twists and turns as this thing continues to evolve.

I would give Saban the benefit of the doubt here. I doubt he would he say something like this if he wasn't at least somewhat aware of this kids deals.

yeah, I think that it's wise to give Saban the benefit of
by jt  (2021-07-21 00:27:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the doubt, considering he and his coaches likely put a lot of this together for the kids behind the scenes.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic.
by Goldhelmethead  (2021-07-21 06:03:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It doesn't sound crazy. Especially for some coaching staff's. I suppose there will be scenarios where a highly rated recruits college choice comes down to the NIL package in place for his signature.

I'm not being sarcastic at all
by jt  (2021-07-21 10:49:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of course the coaches are out front in this whole thing; it would be foolish not to be.

And this is not just Alabama; it's every coaching staff in America.

Makes sense that they would be out front.
by goldhelmethead  (2021-07-21 12:29:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The actual workings of the deal would be handled by an appointed group I suppose?

that I don't know
by jt  (2021-07-21 12:57:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but the coaches realize that this is a big recruiting opportunity for them and of course they are working things behind the scenes. That's why Saban made it a point to mention it yesterday. "This is what our guys are getting, before they even have started one game."

It's a powerful recruiting tool. I have no doubt that ND is also using it to their advantage.

I think that will be most elite recruits’ decision
by HScorpio  (2021-07-21 08:26:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I see Saban’s comments as a recruiting statement, mostly. Their QB has barely played and has now signed deals worth close to a million. I take it as a message to all the top players and future recruits - come here, and this is what you can expect.

The ROI will be worth it even if this guy doesn’t pan out as long as Alabama signs the next Trevor Lawrence or Tua or Cam Newton (not that they’ve had a problem doing that, obviously). Those players were certainly worth a lot more than "almost 7 figures" to their respective schools. Alabama just named the price for their starting QB spot. Recruits will notice, and other schools will have to keep up.