SEC teams could forfeit games due to COVID (link)
by Ty Webb (2021-07-19 18:44:01)
Edited on 2021-07-19 18:45:07

Forfeits create more time for NIL activities. Human interest
by notra_dahm  (2021-07-22 06:55:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

stories relating to overcoming adversity, etc increase NIL revenue. It's a win/win/win. . . . win/win.

Sankey’s full-throated support of vaccinations is
by ndnjlaw  (2021-07-19 20:10:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Interesting given that the SEC footprint covers many of the least vaccinated states
In the nation. I wonder how it will play with the rank and file SEC faithful anti-Vaxxers.

If the SEC required vaccination to attend games
by NDCuse  (2021-07-20 13:43:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

we would reach herd immunity before kickoff.

SEC only requires a rabies shot to attend games *
by Frank Drebin  (2021-07-20 15:55:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's mascots only... *
by OITLinebacker  (2021-07-21 13:13:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I do not understand the anti-vaxxers. The development of
by FrMiceli  (2021-07-19 21:48:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

this vaccine is one of the biggest medical accomplishments of the last 100 years.

Reported Reasons and a Speculative Thought
by NDTwice  (2021-07-20 12:49:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

(A) Reported Reasons: I have heard it reported in various media outlets that -- 1) Some African Americans are skeptical because of the Tuskegee Syphilis Study. 2) Some illegals are hesitate to get vaccinated because of fear of deportation. 3) Some do not trust the government. 4) Some have concerns regarding the side effects of the vaccine because there isn't a long-tern record of its effects. 5) Those under 50 or so were not getting Covid until recently. 6)An emerging reason is a loss of confidence in the vaccine since some fully vaccinated--and notable persons (key Democrats and sport figures)--have contracted the Delta strain. 7) Some wonder if Covid is so serious why are thousands of untested illegals being allowed to enter and being spread across the country.*

* Many on this board could readily provide solid objections to these concerns but that is beside the point. People follow their "Perceptions" irrespective of whether they are objectively correct or not.

(B)A "New" Sociological Thought: There are some in our society who live in the present with little or no thought of future consequences. Social scientists have labelled this "a concern with immediate gratification" or a "it can't happen to me" syndrome. Whatever, there are some people like this. They smoke in spite of cancer warnings. They have unprotected sex in spite of all the pitfalls that accompany it. Retirement plans never enter their minds.

Regarding the vaccine, I don't think it is a Salient Topic for such persons. It's not on their agenda. They don't distrust it or the government, they are simply living their lives without giving the issue much thought.

FYI: I am fully vaccinated.

Q uite a good list, not missing anonything *
by HScorpio  (2021-07-20 12:54:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A gree *
by jt  (2021-07-21 15:52:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nobel Prize worthy
by Son of Galway  (2021-07-19 22:44:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I agree, I don’t understand their concern.

I would wait on the Nobel...we might turn into zombies
by fourputtmd  (2021-07-20 11:12:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and Will Smith will have to save the day

I would almost guarantee it will win a Nobel
by carroll2005  (2021-07-20 08:34:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The prizes tend to lag by a decade or so

Messenger RNA development seems on a fast track
by SixShutouts66  (2021-07-20 12:33:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Katalin Karoko, a Hungarian scientist, spent 3 decades of rejections of her theories of m-RNA before it became more mainstream. Drew Weissman developed a method to avoid rejection by the body. There could be others, but it seems the development of mRNA technology is a clear Nobel winner,

The vaccine itself should also be a winner; however, it's not clear who or what step in the process has the right credentials.

From the lates Scientific American there's also good work going on to develop "artificial proteins" to combat diseases.

(Disclaimer - I don't work in the field)

Stiff competition. It’s up against Bonger/Jvan’s volcano *
by Frank Drebin  (2021-07-20 10:26:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Depends on the "impact" of the discovery
by fontoknow  (2021-07-20 09:42:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

While Higgs formulated the Higgs Boson in 60s, it wasn't discovered until 2012. Higgs won the Nobel in physics the next year.

Geim and Novoselov won the physics award in 2010 from work published in 2004.

rarely is impact realized immediately as the basic science typically needs to become applied in some form ... or the theoretic science needs to be demonstrated through experimentation.

In the case of the COVID vaccine, I could see multiple winners involved in the development of the mRNA vaccines this cycle across the award categories of physiology or medicine, chemistry, and peace.

We are a nation full of stupid, lazy, selfish a$$holes.
by Giggity_Giggity  (2021-07-20 08:12:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Remember this during times like these (see also toilet paper hoarding, the “gas crisis,” etc) and it will help with your understanding.

Name calling is an excellent way of changing minds.
by MarkinSeattle  (2021-07-21 01:21:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Some of us can’t get this vaccine due to medical conditions, while others can but have higher risks. Calling someone stupid, lazy, selfish and an a$$hole because they are concerned about their health is divisive, alienating and does not reflect on you in a particularly good light.

You obviously feel strongly enough that I presume you have received the vaccine. That is great, you are protected if you come into contact. Why are you so angry about other people who are not vaccinated? If they feel they would be better off getting the virus naturally then that is their right and they might be correct. They are adults, they can make these decisions, just as they can make the decision to smoke, drink, go sky diving and rock climbing.

Medical decisions are hard and should be made by the person who has to live with the results.

Name calling is an excellent way of changing minds.
by MarkinSeattle  (2021-07-20 18:25:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Some of us can’t get this vaccine due to medical conditions, while others can but have higher risks. Calling someone stupid, lazy, selfish and an a$$hole because they are concerned about their health is divisive, alienating and does not reflect on you in a particularly good light.

You obviously feel strongly enough that I presume you have received the vaccine. That is great, you are protected if you come into contact. Why are you so angry about other people who are not vaccinated? If they feel they would be better off getting the virus naturally then that is their right and they might be correct. They are adults, they can make these decisions, just as they can make the decision to smoke, drink, go sky diving and rock climbing.

Medical decisions are hard and should be made by the person who has to live with the results.

While I agree in general about name calling
by dulac89  (2021-07-20 21:04:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Medical decision making should be made by the person who has to live with the consequences, except when those consequences can cause harm to others and the financial ramifications for being wrong will almost always be borne by others.

Oh come on.
by Giggity_Giggity  (2021-07-20 18:37:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You really think I’m referring to people who can’t get vaccinated for medical reasons, including my own 11 year old? That’s not just a reach, it’s stupid. I didn’t think I had to put an asterisk on my hyperbole and list obvious exclusions.

I am, of course, referring to the much larger population of lazy, stupid, selfish assholes out there who aren’t getting the vaccine—and thus putting the aforementioned medically-unable and under 12 population at risk—because they’re lazy, stupid, selfish, an asshole, or some combination of the four. Let’s not kid ourselves: nobody’s changing their minds, name calling be damned.

Everybody else seemed to understand the gist of my post. Direct your misguided outrage elsewhere. Might I suggest the lazy, stupid, selfish assholes out there that ACTUALLY don’t care about the immune compromised or people under 12?

Oh wait—you actually made excuses for them.

Say…you wouldn’t happen to actually believe that it’s cool for 40+% of the population to blow off getting vaccinated because they might want to “get the virus naturally” because it’s their “right?” Would you happen to be one of the folks over twelve/not immune compromised that my post is referring to, hence the nerve strike?

I would happen to be an over 40 immunocompromised
by MarkinSeattle  (2021-07-21 02:59:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

with a 9 year old nephew who is immunocompromised. I have been in the hospital for approximately 4 weeks in 4 stays including a week and a half in the ICU over the last year and a half dealing with three distinct different heart conditions.

Your hyperbole was inflammatory and intended to demonize those who have not received the vaccine. Calling people names is not “hyperbole”, it is just demeaning and insulting. Hyperbole is increasing scale.

My county has one of the highest vaccination rates in the country, yet the cases have recently surged. There is no correlation between cases in highly vaccinated areas and rates of COVID. I interviewed a guy a month ago who was home with COVID after being fully vaccinated in April.. Hopefully I am wrong however it doesn’t appear that this is going away no matter what percentage of people are vaccinated.

As for concerns about the vaccine, there are many valid reasons to be concerned. Anecdotally my brother lost a 42 yo college buddy to a stroke a couple weeks after getting his vaccination. The odds of that is less than 1 in 50k. Yet my sister lost a coworker who was also 42 yo to a major stroke within a week of getting his vaccine, same odds. The odds of that happening to two friends of my siblings within 3 months of each other would seem to be exceedingly high. My sister has a childhood friend who just turned 40 who was diagnosed with a very rare cancer of the fat tissue (she runs marathons and eats healthy). Her specific cancer type is a 1 in 250k likelihood, even more odd is that they found 6 different distinct cancer strains of the same type of cancer in her system. She works in the medical field and was vaccinated in Feb and had a grapefruit size tumor appear in the month leading up to the diagnosis in April. She has been told she should get her affairs in order. I manage an employee who for the last four months, starting approximately 2-3 weeks after being fully vaccinated, has woken up every morning with a 102+ degree fever, it dissipates by the afternoon. They have run him through every test and diagnostic machine they can and haven’t been able to figure out why.

All of these things are just exceedingly rare happenstance. Were any of these caused by the vaccine or their bodies reacting to the vaccine? Who knows, technically the answer is “no proof”, but if look at all four proximities to getting vaccinated, it has to make you wonder how much greater the odds of two people dying of a 1 in 50k stroke that close to getting a vaccine, certainly higher than 1 in 50k. One thing that I have learned after two week long visits to the ICU is that it is okay to ask questions and there are some things the medical community isn’t sure about. People should thoroughly investigate and only make decisions they are comfortable with.

Having said all that, if I get the approval to get a vaccine I will. I am personally at a very high risk if I get this thing, however I am also in a very high risk group for having an issue from the vaccine (myocarditis and periocarditis) as well. One thing that should be apparent to everyone is that this isn’t going away no matter the number of vaccinations. That is exceedingly obvious, especially with an effective rate of just 63% by vaccines against the variants. If you believe that in your son’s case he is better off getting the vaccine, then I hope you get that chance as quickly as possible. But don’t fool yourself into thinking this thing will disappear because enough people were vaccinated.

The plural of anecdote is not evidence *
by Roy  (2021-07-21 12:06:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Well, I stand by my sentiment.
by Giggity_Giggity  (2021-07-21 09:00:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm surprised you're not similarly angry at the folks putting you and your nephew at risk, but there's an awful lot to unpack in your post and I don't want to turn this place into the Political Board. So...I'll just tell you that I hope you and your nephew stay safe and healthy. Good luck.

"Direct your misguided outrage elsewhere." Now THAT'S funny!
by ndfamily  (2021-07-21 00:45:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

GG, you might want to take some of your own advice. Just sayin'.

My ire is appropriately directed, thanks. *
by Giggity_Giggity  (2021-07-21 09:00:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ding ding ding. We have a winner! *
by Roy  (2021-07-20 16:13:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I took a walk down the Vegas strip last night.
by Queensman  (2021-07-20 13:12:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And the only things I could think of were:

Now I know why we have so many not vaccinated and this is Exhibit A as to why we are fucked as a nation.

And seem to be moving more in that direction daily. *
by Irishintheville  (2021-07-20 12:34:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and local governments are tiptoeing around mandatory
by fourputtmd  (2021-07-20 11:17:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

vaccinations for employees, until completely FDA approved

Happened to catch a great PBS show last night about the
by FrMiceli  (2021-07-20 10:07:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

polio epidemic back in the 40’s and 50’s. The Salk vaccine was rushed out (a lot more steps were skipped then - which was NOT done with the Covid vaccine) and parents were overjoyed to get their kids protected.

I tend to think that if this had affected children more
by jt  (2021-07-20 10:39:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

people would have reacted much differently.

These next variants may bring that to bear, unfortunately *
by Irishthinclad  (2021-07-20 13:54:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Same in the Big 12. *
by TWO  (2021-07-19 19:56:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post