Sure they can.
by PeteatND (2021-07-01 17:42:01)
Edited on 2021-07-01 17:44:51

In reply to: So now players that were fine  posted by jameszuro

They’ll just have to expect to get their asses kicked on the field by SEC behemoths laden with fully-endorsed 5 star talent. ND was already struggling to land top talent; I can’t imagine how bad it’ll get if their top boosters don’t get on board with the new system.

We’d better start by making absolutely sure Kyle Hamilton gets a solid deal before the year is out. Otherwise Sonny Styles is going to have a lot of birdies on his shoulder asking him what he might be missing out on.

People want players to have a chance to market themselves. What they’re going to get is just one more escalation of the arms race.

Yeah, poor ND won't be able to keep up
by jt  (2021-07-01 23:47:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You're all wet on this one.

I think it will have the opposite effect.
by bill_brasky  (2021-07-01 19:33:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes Bama will still get their players but they get whoever they want anyway. Now Johnny Five star from out of state may stay home and be able to market himself at state U. I think it will spread out the talent somewhat. At least that’s what I’m hoping.

Hamilton already has a deal
by Final_Flanner  (2021-07-01 17:51:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Shortly after midnight, #NotreDame athletes Kyle Hamilton, Kyren Williams and Sam Brunelle posted paid promotion of YOKE Gaming, which former Irish RB Mick Assaf founded, on their Instagram accounts. The NIL Era is here.

10K+ college athletes have a "deal" with Yoke.
by Tjmcfly  (2021-07-01 21:33:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And it's climbing as fast as Mick and his cofounders can reply to emails.

As I understand it, it's nothing out of pocket for them, and no guaranteed income for the player. It's cameo but for video games. Not really the kind of "deal" we're going to need in order to stay competitive with regard to recruiting (or keeping) players.

it could hurt too
by DBCooper  (2021-07-02 07:59:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Imagine Kyle Hamilton missing out on game tape of his next opponent because he has to individually play 50 "fans" on Call of Duty

These are basically just examples of these
by bleedsgreen04  (2021-07-02 11:06:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

kids getting paid for hobbies they already currently enjoy. I don't think it will interfere with any current ND players' schedule.

Yeah that seems like a disaster waiting to happen.
by tdiddy07  (2021-07-02 09:52:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's one thing to shoot commercials and things with rigid schedules. But I suspect that this and Cameo and the like will stretch college kids pretty thin.

I have to imagine, and hope, that coaches
by DBCooper  (2021-07-02 10:52:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

will make sure these things happen more in the off season. But, maybe they wont have the ability.

Could be an interesting way to get after an opponent. Big game coming up in a week, lets get 100 fans to bombard the opposing QB with video game appointments and cameo videos so he doesnt have much time during the week to focus on the upcoming opponent.

I assume this will create new problems to deal with that have not been thought of yet. And Im all in favor of athletes getting paid in some capacity.

Can college athletes now go on Cameo? *
by Raoul  (2021-07-01 22:35:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hopefully, otherwise this has a new layer of crazyness
by Tjmcfly  (2021-07-02 00:08:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There are several (could be in the 10's) of thousands listed as of 12:01 Thursday morning. We have several current players listed.

Case in point:

Understood
by Final_Flanner  (2021-07-01 21:49:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think the point is that this went online minutes after it was legal. I don’t think ND is going to get caught flat footed here. Parents of recruits have already commented positively on ND’s NIL pitch.

I genuinely hope you're right
by Tjmcfly  (2021-07-02 00:15:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And you very well may be, that's the weird thing. Nobody really knows yet.

I just don't think any of us know how this is going to play out. What scares me is why can't some school, (even a lesser school) show one of our players how much more they could make were they to transfer. It won't hurt their NFL stock, and it means they can ship a boatload home while making some dime for themselves. We don't like to admit it, but there are plenty Group of Five boosters who've got deep pockets.

For the record, I was a bench DII baseball player 13 years ago. I get the grind college athletes go through. I assume our football players face roughly 1300% what I did. I want them to be able to profit from things like video games, cameo, NCAA deals with EA Sports, ESPN etc... But I worry opening this up to outside influences is going to be a bad thing.

Again.... I have no idea... but even if this is eventually a good thing (which it very well may be) it's going to take a decade and a half or two to get the kinks worked out.

MI-T-MART? *
by Father Nieuwland  (2021-07-01 18:48:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I know the manager, he used to work at All American Burger *
by NJND96  (2021-07-02 09:49:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's all about the brand, man.
by SWPaDem  (2021-07-02 07:42:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I probably should have said, "Dude".

I saw that. It’s “a deal”, that’s true.
by PeteatND  (2021-07-01 17:56:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I doubt it’s that compelling, especially if it’s the same one Sam Brunelle got.

Either way, we’ll know soon enough, because “average endorsement” (or some variation thereof) is about to become an everyday conversation piece in the recruiting universe. As I’ve said, I just hope we’re competitive.

YOKE requires them to actually play video games/be present. *
by MrE  (2021-07-02 00:57:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post