Precisely.
by PeteatND (2021-07-01 17:38:22)

In reply to: so what the current QB gets...  posted by DavidAddison

These kind of conversations will be commonplace now:

“So, Mr. Big 12 2nd Team QB, I haven’t seen your name affiliated with any endorsement deals this year. Your school not taking care of you? Transfer here and we’ll have something lined up before fall camp even starts!”

“Really, Mr. Elite 11 QB, you’re considering ND? Yes, yes, it’s a fine school, but what kind of endorsement deals do they have lined up? Our last 3 starting QBs all had deals before the end of their freshman years.”

I really think people are fooling themselves if they think this kind of recruitment (for HS and current college players) won’t come to dominate the sport. This was obvious from the beginning.

that's how things work in this country
by jt  (2021-07-02 16:14:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm not sure why you think this is some kind of injustice.

Heaven forbid the kid make some marketing deals and future recruits are able to sign their own deals as well.

I think it gets back to a thread from a week or so ago.
by MrE  (2021-07-02 16:20:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I suspect most posters on this board understand the benefits of - and support - a free market.

But I think there is some concern, perhaps warranted, that the uniqueness of college football is rooted in the absence of a paid-player professional structure, and that the participants are schools, with students playing the game (regardless of how real that actually is).

This already happened under the old system
by bmoreirish  (2021-07-01 19:49:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

At least ND can now leverage our national profile and prestige to convince players they will get more lucrative deals to counterbalance the recruiting promises from other schools. Seems to me like we have a better shot at a more level playing field given our inherent advantage of people watching ND coast to coast.

We had one hand tied behind our back before. Maybe now we only have to start with one hand in our pocket.

You might have chosen a better example than ND QB. *
by rkellyatrecess  (2021-07-01 19:02:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post