So Swarbrick is both an evil genius & a moron?
by Gregmorrissey (2021-06-24 21:03:09)

In reply to: It’s a capitulation that we will never win a NC…  posted by acrossdmiddle

He “bent over and took it” as ACROSS so eloquently put it in reference to the proposal, I’m guessing specifically our exclusion from bye/top 4 seed.

At the same time, he’s running an absolute master class in alumni misdirection to what end? Make less money every year as an independent? If he was so intent on maximizing revenue AND joining a conference then why wait? Why lead a negotiation to expand to 12 teams with 6 at large spots?

He should have masterfully “called a bluff” and convinced everyone that the path forward was reduction in revenue, staff sizes, support services, etc.? “Oh, that extra $1.2B and alumni goodwill for making the playoff sitting over there? You should ignore that. It’S nOt In ThE bEsT iNtErEsTs Of ThE sTuDeNtS.”

I get this is a message board on the Internet which allows for a certain amount of suspension of reality, but for God’s sake the playoff was expanding come hell or high water. “Arguments” to the contrary are merely wishful thinking. Now, if you want to argue that Jack did not thoroughly protect and advance Notre Dame’s interest in the expansion then that’s worth discussing. My opinion is he did a pretty good job. And my preference is he leads the discussion as opposed to sitting on his hands saying “I’m just happy to be here”