Some non-expert reasons
by veets (2021-05-26 12:59:37)

In reply to: Who here wants to diagnose why we cant crack the Top25  posted by SEE

1. Crappy schedule--

ND doesn't pour it on after the game is in hand. We tend to tone it down. Problem is, there's never a big enough lead to get the 2nd/3rd team in to get reps. Offense stalls (on purpose). Shorter fields (because of a good defense) lowers total offensive yardage totals.

2. Predictable offense--

Bad teams can't overcome the athletes/talent ND has, so simple offense can score enough to win comfortably (see point #1). There's no urgency to make the offense more varied/unpredictable since it's good enough 10 out of 12 games. The losses (against great teams) are explained away with "we didn't make plays".

3. No QB "development"--

QBs never develop (I forget who made the point that the QBs don't regress. There's more tape on them as the season goes on, and into year 2 to the better teams can take away the few things the QB does well). Goes back to point #2. QBs don't grow because the offense is stagnant, and don't want to take more chances to make the throws they should.

4. Short WR bench--

Back to point #3. Few excellent receivers (or even very good) make it less likely the QBs will want to make the throws they should. No WR production means less attention to them and more to the rest of the offense--more bodies to take away TE routes, support in run game, etc.

You've known the problems for 10 years. They haven't changed.

Hold on...52-0 vs. USF, 66-14 vs. UNM, 52-0 vs. BGSU
by ndzippy  (2021-05-26 14:49:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

52-20 vs. Navy, 52-17 vs. Miami (OH), 56-27 vs. Wake, 49-16 vs. Temple. And those are just in the last four seasons.

We lay it on plenty thick when we play overmatched squads. That's not why we can't crack the Top-25 in offense.

a game or two per year won't move the average much
by veets  (2021-05-26 15:06:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We play enough overmatched squads each year to move the average. We don't.

You're leaving out the other part of my post about games against better teams. 180 yds & 302 yds against Michigan in 2019 & 2018. 248 yds against Clemson 2018. 261 against Miami (followed by 327 against Navy) in 2017.

No comment on the other points of my post?

You listed your reasons chronologically
by ndzippy  (2021-05-26 23:17:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I interpreted your post to mean that the #1 reason we can't crack the Top 25 is that we don't pour it on against teams when the game is "in hand". To your point about our performance against good teams, that tends to happen only when we play awful teams. And, over the last four years, we've poured it on plenty (unless you're looking for 70+ point performances against those teams).

It's not about the schedule. Ole Miss went 4-5 against 9 SEC defenses last year and finished #3 in offense. Unlike Brian Kelly, Lane Kiffin actually knows how to coach an offense.

Bama finished #4 in offense. Florida finished #9. Both teams played tougher schedules than we did. The difference? Coaching.

It's always coaching.

The points weren't in any particular order.
by veets  (2021-05-27 08:53:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think, other than scheduling, the common thread of my points was coaching.

Definitely with you on that *
by ndzippy  (2021-05-27 09:08:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post