it's a buyer's market right now
by jt (2021-05-18 15:41:39)

In reply to: The majority of players graduate after 3 years now  posted by btd

give you an example--I believe New Mexico just added a qb who was a 3 year starter at Kentucky. No offense to UNM, but my guess is that he had his sights set higher when he entered the portal. A lot of guys aren't getting the offers they had planned for unless they meet a specific criteria (big multiple year starters on the OL seem to still be in demand, for instance).

True. I'm talking more about kids that never get to play
by btd  (2021-05-19 10:54:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

versus the ones like the QB that thought he could upgrade to a better team. My sense is this year is abnormal due to the 2020 waiver. Getting past that, it strikes me that teams are full of players every year that have graduated in 3 years and have never played -- and see no path to getting more than special teams duty.

Those kids probably aren't looking for a better team to be on -- and would be happy to step down to a team where they can play. I agree that right now even those schools don't have enough room right now given the spike from 2020.

Historically, 1/4 to 1/3 of each recruiting never contribute
by rkellyatrecess  (2021-05-19 21:40:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

There's only so many spaces to go around. Coaches can try to get a high school recruit who can contribute for four years or opt for a grad transfer and roster flexibility.