why can't/couldn't we get a grad transfer WR or portal? *
by harigtad (2021-05-05 14:40:36)

In reply to: Some team stuff via run podcasts  posted by SEE

This user did not provide content for this post

Ben Skowronek
by Jvan  (2021-05-05 16:40:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Been there, done that.

Two main reasons why our WR recruits underperform. One, our staff does not develop home grown players very well. Case in point: Michael Young, who is not as talented as a few young guys on our roster, had a breakout year at Cincinnati in 2020.

Two, we haven't had a top QB and passing game in the Kelly era. Kizer had arguably the single best season in 2015 with Will Fuller as his main target, but every other year has been average or below average.

I do think your QB point is just as important
by MAS  (2021-05-06 09:01:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

as the WRs themselves if not more. Very good WRs can underperform with average QBs. Book for all his skills and grit was not a great passer. His accuracy was ok. He was not great on deep ball and he, whether by design or his conservative nature, would not make throws to give WRs a chance to make contested catches. And Book was the best of the group other than Kizer as you note. Kelly’s QB recruiting and coaching is one of his biggest failings among the list. I cannot understand how given the exposure a QB gets at ND he has failed to get elite talent. Buchner is the only hope to be that on roster and coming in.

The talking heads always defend Alexander,
by bill_brasky  (2021-05-06 06:34:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

which I don't understand. The level of talent has dropped exponentially since Denbrock left with multiple entire class whiffs. This last class looks decent but I'm not confident Alexander will coach them up.

In doing so they are actually covering for Kelly
by Hanratty5ND  (2021-05-06 07:31:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Par for the course.

All for access....which is almost nil to begin with.

why can't/couldn't we recruit and develop good players?
by jt  (2021-05-05 15:18:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

always the waiver wire, I suppose.

if you were a great WR, would you go to ND?
by irishrock  (2021-05-05 21:07:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'll use Claypool as an example. Great kid/player/measurables...he goes in the 2nd round and his rookie NFL production says he should have been a 1st rounder. Why wasn't he? I think it was because of Book and his inaccuracy...when he got to the NFL and with a real and accurate QB, he became a better and more effective player.

chicken/egg stuff, I guess. But the QB play at ND under Kelly has been mediocre. Golston may have been the most effective QB Kelly has had. That Tommy Rees was a multi season starter still boggles my mind. Kizer had a good first year. Zaire...nope. Wimbush...ditto. Great kids and athletes, but not elite college QB's.

WRs have a better track record than QB
by Groundhog  (2021-05-05 23:22:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not that it is overly impressive, but the QB development under Kelly has been terrible.

It's not a coincidence that top level QBs don't give ND a sniff.