Layden .770, BK .730 (including vacated wins)...
by Scoop80 (2021-05-04 15:25:36)

In reply to: Depends  posted by El Kabong

That's a significant difference. I don't know what Layden's schedules were like--my guess is that they didn't include UMass, Temple, and a healthy dose of MAC teams. Both of them were at ND practices on horseback, although the picture of Layden on horseback (w/ his 3 backfield mates) is slightly better known than BK on horseback is.

As to BK v. Devine--1 of them had a 3-1 bowl record (3 majors, 1 near major). In postseason games of comparable caliber (counting Citrus win over LSU), BK is 1-4. The win resulted from a great catch & run in waning moments--all 4 losses were by 16+ points.

In Devine's last year, Irish were unbeaten (9-0-1) through 10 games. Like 2020 Irish, they lost their last 2--finishing by losing to an unbeaten SEC champ on New Year's. That SEC champ wasn't a Saban powerhouse, but the Irish gave a far better accounting of themselves. 1980 beat a 9-3 Miami team w/ J. Kelly @ QB, while 2020 beat a 1-8 USF team whose QB I could not name. 1980 also beat 2 major bowl winners (MI and AL). They put up an "uNDefeated" sign commemorating 2020 team in the Gug--1980 season, by contrast, was considered to be nothing special in context of the time.

Replies: