Depends
by El Kabong (2021-05-04 14:30:05)

In reply to: If Brian Kelly were to decide to move on after 2023  posted by MrE

If he left it better than he found it and the job was attractive to successors, I would deem it "successful" relatively speaking.

It would not be get-him-a-statue successful. In the pantheon of ND coaches, he probably would be hanging out behind Elmer Layden.

I think the timeline matters
by BmoreIrish  (2021-05-04 20:41:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If you squeezed Kelly's accomplishments into a 5-year tenure, then I would have considered him a success based on where the program was versus where it is. Stretching that out over a decade-plus means he has simply set a new standard of what is acceptable.

Along with agreeing with Andy ...
by CJC  (2021-05-04 18:43:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

especially at a place with Notre Dame's legacy, a head coach that takes the program from one level to another intermediate level, without reaching the highest level -- and takes 11 years, or longer, to do so -- doesn't deserve that kind of leash or that kind of credit.

If Kelly had moved the program from Point A to Point B in 3-5 seasons and then got the hell out -- or was removed by leadership that clearly understood Point B wasn't an acceptable final destination, I'd be more inclined to view his tenure and contributions charitably.

Plus, again, what Andy said.

Exactly. Longevity does not correspond with success
by knutesteen  (2021-05-04 20:53:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Particularly at Notre Dame. He's like a roach-will survive a nuclear holecaust, but does that deserve credit? With an Athletic Director enabler?

I think they should build a statue of Kelly,
by MukIrish  (2021-05-04 19:01:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

well actually hundreds of them. And put them in the bottom of the stadium urinals. That would be fitting tribute.

I think they should build one 50% the size of the others.
by Giggity_Giggity  (2021-05-04 20:34:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Because that would piss him off forever. Little four foot BK statue next to the others.

That would be cruel and unusual punishment.
by SWPaDem  (2021-05-05 07:32:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ingenious but cruel and unusual. Mini-Bri. He could stand there next to Moose on the bench.

I think I could dig it. Skilled or unskilled Photoshoppers - here's your chance.

not one (to date) major bowl win over a major program
by irishrock  (2021-05-04 16:43:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

25% of his success was because of ND being ND...a lot of coaches have been successful at ND...only the clowns really floundered.

75% of his success has been due to a watered down schedule that has helped him get into bowl games where he has gotten his arse outcoached.

Got our doors blown off in all three playoff games as well. *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2021-05-04 22:25:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I heartily disagree
by ACross  (2021-05-04 16:22:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It is not merely a review of what others would call "metrics."

It is the net result of his tenure. He has dragged ND down, with the complicity of Swarbrick, to a different and lesser place. He endeavored to define success downward. He has made the program indistuoshable and fungible. The damage he has done is permanent.

But do you strenuously object? *
by usmcirish  (2021-05-05 11:50:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

True, but I place much more of the blame on Swarbrick
by garbageplate  (2021-05-04 21:41:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Kelly is who he is: a football coach who spent most of his pre-ND career toiling at the lower levels of college football, which, along with some of his inherent shortcomings, has led him to fall short on the historical standard at ND both on and off the field.

On the other hand, Swarbrick is Kelly's boss and, more importantly, an alumnus who attended ND during the glory years. He should've known better and should have forced Kelly to adapt to ND instead of the other way around.

Plenty of blame to go around. Jenkins, BoT, other enablers.
by irishintheville  (2021-05-05 10:15:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Swarbrick is not a leader, but rather a self-absorbed strategery aficionado who enabled the largest case of sexual abuse against girls and young women in US history. But don't call him a liar.

Amen. *
by Giggity_Giggity  (2021-05-04 20:33:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He will be the longest tenured coach at ND without a NC. How
by thethinman  (2021-05-04 16:30:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

did it come to this at this storied school?

Is Kelly Grima Wormtongue?
by graNDfan  (2021-05-04 16:52:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes. The next coaching search should target a real wizard.
by Moff  (2021-05-04 17:49:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Confederacy of Dunces
by NJDoubleDomer  (2021-05-04 16:34:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Tag line for the Swarbrick/Kelly Era

Layden .770, BK .730 (including vacated wins)...
by Scoop80  (2021-05-04 15:25:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's a significant difference. I don't know what Layden's schedules were like--my guess is that they didn't include UMass, Temple, and a healthy dose of MAC teams. Both of them were at ND practices on horseback, although the picture of Layden on horseback (w/ his 3 backfield mates) is slightly better known than BK on horseback is.

As to BK v. Devine--1 of them had a 3-1 bowl record (3 majors, 1 near major). In postseason games of comparable caliber (counting Citrus win over LSU), BK is 1-4. The win resulted from a great catch & run in waning moments--all 4 losses were by 16+ points.

In Devine's last year, Irish were unbeaten (9-0-1) through 10 games. Like 2020 Irish, they lost their last 2--finishing by losing to an unbeaten SEC champ on New Year's. That SEC champ wasn't a Saban powerhouse, but the Irish gave a far better accounting of themselves. 1980 beat a 9-3 Miami team w/ J. Kelly @ QB, while 2020 beat a 1-8 USF team whose QB I could not name. 1980 also beat 2 major bowl winners (MI and AL). They put up an "uNDefeated" sign commemorating 2020 team in the Gug--1980 season, by contrast, was considered to be nothing special in context of the time.

Perhaps, but not sure who else would fit in there...
by Irisharab  (2021-05-04 17:28:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think most people would agree that the Top 3 ND coaches (in no particular order) are Rockne, Leahy, and Ara. People could argue for hours about which order these three belong.

I think there is general agreement that Holtz, Devine, and Layden are 4, 5, and 6, respectively.

I wouldn't put Kelly ahead any of those six men. But looking at the rest of the post-Rockne coaches (excluding McKeever and Devore), I don't think any of them belong ahead of Kelly either.

I wouldn't change your order, but
by SorinBasement  (2021-05-05 08:23:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would put Holtz in the top tier at #4. He was a far better coach than Devine. His record from '88-'93, against schedules tougher than any we've played before or since, places him much closer to Ara than those behind him.

I agree--BK is #7--big gap from #6, and big gap to #8 *
by Scoop80  (2021-05-04 21:33:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No UMass, but we did play WashU, Drake, and Pacific, though. *
by StetsonDan  (2021-05-04 17:16:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How soon we forget. We tied a 1 win GT team in '80. *
by 84david  (2021-05-04 15:52:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't understand your point ...
by CJC  (2021-05-04 18:39:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

does that single game place Devine closer to the Kelly neighborhood than the Holtz neighborhood in your estimation?

I struggle to accept that as "success."
by MrE  (2021-05-04 15:06:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For one, some of those left-it-better-than-found-it dynamics are:

A) driven by forces above Kelly and/or decisions made in spite of Kelly (firing his S&C coach, improving his staff by going with younger, non-family members, investments in facilities and nutrition, etc.).

B) in the relative context of a horseshit list of coaches preceding him.

And, second, the description fits a "bridge" coach - someone that gets you out of the desert but not to the goal (championships). And I struggle to think that should be considered success when it is a 14-year term.

He definitely won more games than Weis.

As I said, he's Elmer Layden
by El Kabong  (2021-05-04 15:07:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If Elmer Layden was an asshole, of course.

I think this is right.
by mocopdx  (2021-05-04 14:44:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He's clearly not a success as far as what the standard is for Notre Dame football. You *must* win a title to join those ranks.

However, he is quite clearly a step up from Weis/Willingham/Davie, solely because he has made the job attractive again. I do not believe the same quality of coaches who will be interested in taking over for BK would have been interested in 2001, 2005, or 2009.

Put it this way- the Utah version of Urban Meyer would likely take the 2023 Notre Dame job that he turned down in 2005.

Elite coaches should understand, now, that it is absolutely possible to win a title at ND if you work your ass off in recruiting and know what the hell you're doing on offense. Would that BK make it easier on us and just do those things himself...

That is completely false
by ACross  (2021-05-04 17:35:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ND had plenty of options after each of the aforementioned were fired. Only incompetence, faulty process, bawrongheaded priorities, woeful recruitment of candidates.

Comparison?
by ND75  (2021-05-06 14:50:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How would you compare Kelly and Swarbrick's performance the way that Davie, Weiss, and Willingham, with the complicity of Wadsworth, White, and most notably Malloy handled things?

and let's not overlook the fact
by jt  (2021-05-05 01:02:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that when the time comes to hire a new coach, the assclown posse will be demanding a guy like Rees or some other on-staff assistant to "maintain recruiting continuity" and the same types of guys who hired and kept Kelly will be the ones making the decision.

Freeman shows you do not need "recruiting continuity"
by jbrown_9999  (2021-05-05 09:46:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

if you hire the right replacement coach.

and recruiting continuity would be a key thing to eliminate. *
by MrE  (2021-05-05 09:52:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post