Connor Cook may not be the best test case.
by Keenan4w (2021-05-03 16:23:01)

In reply to: Fairly small sample size there. I don't claim to have the  posted by Carlos Huerta

I didn't follow his career as an NFL backup, but during the draft process he seemed to have more concerns related to character/locker room/teammate issues than just about any other QB I can remember.

It's not uncommon for guys to have those rumors, but it does seem pretty rare for QBs and it's reasonable to assume that it would impact the duration of his career as a backup. Who wants a cocky backup QB who's not that talented?

Chase Daniel *
by NDCuse  (2021-05-04 14:52:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Right but he's not an outlier. You're talking about guys
by Carlos Huerta  (2021-05-03 16:49:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

like Kyle Lauletta, Bryce Petty, Logan Thomas. All drafted within the past seven years in round 4 and not NFL QB's anymore. Thomas is in the league only because of a position change to TE which I don't think will be an option for Book. Again my point is that even if Book is a legit 4th round QB talent he would be beating the odds to have a lengthy NFL career.

Second Contracts
by jtnd05  (2021-05-04 09:28:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Interesting point. Seems like most QB's selected forth round or later are generally out of the league before signing a second contract.

Brady Quinn and Jimmy Clausen signed second contracts, one year deals in the $1 Million range, and were out of the league quickly thereafter.

Rick Mirer is the last ND Quarterback to have a lengthy career. Drafted in 1993. 12 years in the league, started eight games in Oakland in his 11th season.