Wherever the fault lies - just immensely disappointing.
by Irishdemon (2021-05-03 10:45:49)

In reply to: Jordan Johnson is entering the transfer portal. *  posted by mocopdx

Clemson's 5-star freshmen WR's make big time plays during the season and in the playoffs.

Notre Dame's 5-star freshmen WR's can't get on the field and in Johnson's case, ultimately hit the road.

We know where the fault is located. Big fat crack
by MDDomer  (2021-05-03 12:28:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in our head coach’s head

Explain Tyree and Mayer. *
by Irishdemon  (2021-05-03 13:09:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Different position coach? *
by enduff  (2021-05-03 13:25:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I guess one could blame Kelly for employing Alexander...
by Irishdemon  (2021-05-04 10:11:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

... or perhaps running an offense that's too complicated for young wide receivers to be able to see the field but to paint a broad stroke that, "Kelly won't play freshmen or can't recognize talent" is false when Tyree and Mayer logged significant minutes last year and were major weapons in the offense.

There's obviously a disconnect somewhere at the receiver position however. If Johnson's problems were more 'off-the-field', that's fine - but I always like to point to the 2017 Georgia game where Kelly's offense was shut down as he played Cam Smith and Freddie Canteen at receiver while a couple of youngsters named Claypool and Boykin rode the bench. Do you think those two future NFL wideouts could have helped in a one-point loss?

Not arguing your general point, just pointing out one
by enduff  (2021-05-04 11:04:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

notable difference between Mayer/Tyree and our WRs.

Given the talent level we have had, we have always had problem getting separation (save Fuller). The likely cause is a combination of scheme and positional coaching.

I’ve heard otherwise
by RoccoGlobboSchoolForWomen  (2021-05-03 12:39:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Situations outside of Kelly’s control (not playing time)

So sayeth many reliable sources.
by mocopdx  (2021-05-03 12:50:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And not typical BK ass kissers. We should recognize and admit when it wasn't the staff's fault. There are plenty of things to criticize BK and co for, this does not appear to be one of them,

Not sure this was a playing time issue, but the absurdity
by SEE  (2021-05-03 12:11:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

around wr playing time is still valid.

Just curious
by NDPittsburgh  (2021-05-03 18:15:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If the root of the problem is why Kelly didn't want to give him too much time on the field? I know 0 about this issue but if it's what is rumored, I wonder if Kerly's view is why start relying on him only to find later he can't use him anyway.

No. *
by oneill3b  (2021-05-03 21:05:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes- two things can be simultaneously true
by mocopdx  (2021-05-03 12:26:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1. Johnson's issues probably didn't have anything to do with the coaching.

2. Our coaching has done a poor job of getting WRs on the field early. I think the issue is overblown, as ISD did a breakdown of this and found that even guys like Justyn Ross don't really get a ton of time as true freshmen, but it does feel like you have to be a 3rd year player at ND to get more than five catches a year.

Ross had 46 catches for 1000 yards as a freshman
by goldenarms  (2021-05-03 17:58:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Are you thinking of someone else? When I think of freshmen not getting a ton of time, players like Golden Tate come to mind. Not many catches, but we saw enough to know that he had to get more playing time.

Yep. Pretty graceful exit too.
by ribs  (2021-05-03 10:53:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Tweet from Johnson linked below.

Sucks all around. It would be one thing if the receivers who beat him out were exceptionally productive or showed huge potential. We've seen nothing of the sort.