Greg Cosell (NFL Films) discusses the Ian Book draft.
by G.K.Chesterton (2021-05-03 10:44:40)
Edited on 2021-05-03 10:45:08

Greg Cosell (yes, he's Howard's nephew) has worked for NFL Films for over 40 years, largely scouting talent on tape. He appeared on "The Ross Tucker Show" this morning and gave his sobering evaluation of Ian Book.

Sounds like Ian needs a quarterback coach... *
by dbldomer7375  (2021-05-03 14:58:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He's a career back-up who who will make a lot more money
by Wolfetone  (2021-05-03 12:49:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Than those sitting in a bin pounding away at a computer all day....

How long do you define as "career"? Whatever your answer
by Carlos Huerta  (2021-05-03 12:53:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

is I would imagine the odds of a 4th rounder lasting that long is below 50/50. I wish Book well but I'm not sure how anyone can make the statement that he'll be a career NFL backup with that type of certainty.

I hope he has the career of UFA Chase Daniel (2009)
by Rosecrea  (2021-05-04 12:32:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

still cashing checks in the league and has been a reliable backup for 11 years (69 games,5 starts). Signed by the LA Chargers a few weeks ago for the upcoming season.

A.J. McCarron was drafted in the 5th round in 2014.
by NDBass  (2021-05-03 13:24:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not sure if this will be his last year, but it isn't a bad career for a backup QB when you take into account his earnings and his future pension. I don't know if any of McCarron's contracts took into account he might be a starter or if that had to due with service time.

Fairly small sample size there. I don't claim to have the
by Carlos Huerta  (2021-05-03 14:46:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

stats but I looked back at the 2016 draft and there was one QB taken in the fourth round, Connor Cook. He only lasted a few years in the league. My point is the original post dismissed how incredibly limited NFL QB roster spots are.

Connor Cook may not be the best test case.
by Keenan4w  (2021-05-03 16:23:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I didn't follow his career as an NFL backup, but during the draft process he seemed to have more concerns related to character/locker room/teammate issues than just about any other QB I can remember.

It's not uncommon for guys to have those rumors, but it does seem pretty rare for QBs and it's reasonable to assume that it would impact the duration of his career as a backup. Who wants a cocky backup QB who's not that talented?

Chase Daniel *
by NDCuse  (2021-05-04 14:52:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Right but he's not an outlier. You're talking about guys
by Carlos Huerta  (2021-05-03 16:49:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

like Kyle Lauletta, Bryce Petty, Logan Thomas. All drafted within the past seven years in round 4 and not NFL QB's anymore. Thomas is in the league only because of a position change to TE which I don't think will be an option for Book. Again my point is that even if Book is a legit 4th round QB talent he would be beating the odds to have a lengthy NFL career.

Second Contracts
by jtnd05  (2021-05-04 09:28:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Interesting point. Seems like most QB's selected forth round or later are generally out of the league before signing a second contract.

Brady Quinn and Jimmy Clausen signed second contracts, one year deals in the $1 Million range, and were out of the league quickly thereafter.

Rick Mirer is the last ND Quarterback to have a lengthy career. Drafted in 1993. 12 years in the league, started eight games in Oakland in his 11th season.

let me try and translate
by jt  (2021-05-03 12:29:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

he believes that Peyton thinks that he has the intangibles (which don't always show up on film study) but that he really hasn't been properly coached. He leaves the pocket too quickly, doesn't let plays develop, and doesn't go through his progressions well.

Peyton thinks that with proper coaching he can develop him into an effective NFL qb and overcome the coaching he has had to this point. It's not all doom and gloom, Cosell seems to be saying that he is somewhat surprised that he was able to get away with playing this way for so long at ND.

“Overcome the coaching”..
by goirish89  (2021-05-04 00:49:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or lack thereof

On leaving the pocket too early — there was noticeable
by RoccoGlobboSchoolForWomen  (2021-05-03 13:04:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

improvement in 2020 in that regard. That was probably my #1 frustration with Book in his career, but he clearly got better mid season last year.

Ian needed to scramble for good yardage 6-8 times a
by 1978Irish  (2021-05-03 15:42:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

game to be effective. It isn’t what you want out of your starting QB, but gaining 50-60 yards on those plays kept drives going which would have stalled if he threw an incompletion.

Well, that and the fact he doesn't have an NFL arm....
by Marine Domer  (2021-05-03 12:37:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and never has. His arm was below average for Power 5 college. I'm certainly rooting for Book, but I don't see how he has the physical tools to succeed in the NFL. Perhaps Peyton sees him as a younger Drew Brees, but he has never had the arm, accuracy, or quick release Brees has.

That is what I do not get. Intelligence, etc aside
by ColoraDomer  (2021-05-05 14:53:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The hashmarks are closer in the NFL requiring a tighter, stronger throw. I do not see this.

That said, carrying a clipboard and listing to the headset with one of the best seat in an NFL stadium may be the worst job one could get.

I tend to agree with you that his arm is below average
by elcortez01  (2021-05-04 09:18:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But I'd also be interested to see what he does with a bit of confidence and the opportunity to rip some throws. Honestly I was shocked to see him drafted, but I guess they saw something in him. It would be awesome to see him succeed or at minimum collect an NFL check for a few years.

Book's arm is plenty strong
by arch_moore  (2021-05-03 16:53:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He might not be Uncle Rico throwing the ball over a mountain, but he can chuck it far enough.

there's not having an "NFL arm"
by jt  (2021-05-03 16:42:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and then there's being "unwilling to make the throws" that the NFL calls for. Guys without a strong arm can make it and still have some success (Jeff Garcia jumps to mind) but they have to trust the reads.

When did Brees get a strong arm? *
by Leeroy_Jenkins  (2021-05-03 16:24:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would say he has average NFL arm strength
by Son of Galway  (2021-05-03 22:07:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But perhaps the greatest accuracy of his generation.

Pretty good combo.

he's just not afraid to make the throws
by jt  (2021-05-04 00:03:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

lots of qb's get gun shy with certain reads, as they're scared of throwing the ball over the middle in traffic. Brees had complete trust in the system and wasn't afraid of any throw, until his injuries caught up to him last year.

In part because he can quickly make the read and know
by tdiddy07  (2021-05-04 09:44:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

where the target will be. Book has generally been a late decision maker, like a lot of good college qbs. There is more space in college to wait until the guy gets open. It will take a lot of patience and coaching to get Book to see the read progression first and then be comfortable pulling the trigger to throw a guy open.

Peyton Manning had a weak arm? *
by ACross  (2021-05-03 15:56:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm sorry, what?....
by Marine Domer  (2021-05-03 16:22:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I misspelled Sean Payton's last name, but made no mention of Peyton Manning.

Sean Payton. Peyton Manning. *
by Piertravlr  (2021-05-03 12:51:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Two guys who've never been in my kitchen. *
by Marine Domer  (2021-05-03 13:40:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not trying to create static.
by Piertravlr  (2021-05-03 19:37:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

When reading your post I was confused why Peyton Manning was commenting on Book's potential. And then I remembered that New Orleans drafted Book and realized you were talking about Sean Payton. Which makes perfect sense.

No static at all. I blame jt...
by Marine Domer  (2021-05-04 11:53:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I couldn't remember how Sean Payton spelled his name, and used the spelling from jt's post. Should've known better. He spells it like my niece does, and like the great Walter Payton. Favorite football player ever.

I had initially spelled it correctly
by jt  (2021-05-05 01:05:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and then looked at it and thought that it looked wrong.

Of course, I could have googled it but I was being lazy as hell.

I'll never forgive you. *
by Marine Domer  (2021-05-06 20:02:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ooh, that'll cost you $22,000 and leave you with nothing. *
by IRISHPRIDE09  (2021-05-03 15:09:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

His task in the NFL is to be a play-it-safe backup
by ndgotrobbedin97  (2021-05-03 11:43:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Don't throw picks downfield. Run a very basic, vanilla offense as a high IQ backup that comes in if the starter (or backup) get hurt. Know the offense, be competent but unremarkable if you're ever called upon. I can see him hanging around just as an emergency 3rd string QB, and then eventually graduating to the backup QB spot if he finds the right fit/coach/system.

He's never going to be a starter in the NFL. I was shocked he got drafted for that reason alone, much less in the round he did.

the fact that he was drafted at all, IMO
by jt  (2021-05-03 12:30:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

is that an NFL coach sees the positives and has little respect for the coaching he has received to this point.

That's my take as well. He was drafted in the 4th round.
by baronbutler  (2021-05-03 12:51:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You don't get drafted in the fourth round because they think you are going to be a play it safe backup. Payton likely thinks there's enough raw talent and skills that are transfereable with the right support and coaching.

Look at at the backup QB’s all over the league
by sprack  (2021-05-03 12:16:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Most of them will never be starters, but you to have them. I don’t think he was drafted to be a starter. Backup QB in the NFL can be a very nice gig.

Of course, most people thought he’d never start at ND either, so youneverknow.

Can’t disagree with anything he said. I hope he is wrong
by 1978Irish  (2021-05-03 11:08:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but that was my view too. He really needed to scramble/run 6 to 8 times a game to be effective and Clemson really shut that down in the rematch.

He reminds me of Trubisky with a weaker arm. Ian seems like a great kid and playing for NO gives him a decent shot, but I don’t see him as an NFL QB.

Everything he said sounded like a G rated version of
by GoldenBlues  (2021-05-03 11:00:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

a Romper Room football Saturday.

Here's hoping he's wrong, but he's probably right. *
by TheRosadoBrothers  (2021-05-03 10:50:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post