Portal Figures - Alabama number staggering
by doublek97 (2021-04-22 15:13:04)

I was listening to ESPNU Radio yesterday, and the hosts happen to bring up the Transfer Portal. The focus was what they termed "the big three" in football - Alabama, Ohio State, and Clemson.

Alabama was called "The Gold Standard," and one host invited the other to guess how many Alabama football players had entered the portal since its inception in 2018. I was stunned to hear that 85 Crimson Tide players had placed their names in the portal over that time period. The more I thought about it, though, it does make sense. Every year Alabama goes after the top talent and their success rate is great. Since those highly ranked high school stars expect near instant gratification, no surprise that many would jump ship to find greener pastures. Every year, there is more 5-star talent coming in.

After hearing Alabama's number, I was interested in hearing the numbers for Ohio State and Clemson over the same time period. As it turns out, Ohio State has had 35 players go in the portal, while Clemson has had just 20.

I exited my car, so I don't know how many other schools they may have discussed. During the time I was listening they were focuses on those three programs.

Churn is great for Alabama
by SEE  (2021-04-22 19:42:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the cream rises the rest goes elsewhere... it's almost like a Navy Seal approach.

Of course that student athlete thing....

ND does the same thing.
by MrE  (2021-04-22 21:38:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

just not as well (ND starts with a less-talented base).

Where do the Alabama players end up? I image some of
by 1978Irish  (2021-04-22 17:40:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

them are good.

Do all of the players who "enter the portal" leave the school? Do some stay after looking around?

Of the 27 guys in their 2019 class, here is where the five
by Moff  (2021-04-22 19:08:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

guys who left went:

Taulia Tagovailoa: Transferred to Maryland for chance to play there.

Kevin Harris: Transferred to Georgia Tech

Ismael Sopher: Transferred to Southern Cal.

Scooby Carter: See link

Antonio Alfano: I'll put link in another post.

As for Antonio Alfano, see hard luck tale at link. (link)
by Moff  (2021-04-22 19:10:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That number doesn't look right.
by StetsonDan  (2021-04-22 17:40:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That number must include walk-ons and/or players who enter the portal but don't transfer because Bama has not had nearly that many scholarship players transfer.

Based on a five minute search of 247's tracking of the portal, Alabama has had 22 scholarship players transfer since 2019 (their database seems incomplete for '18).
2021: 6
2020: 9
2019: 7

For reference, ND has had 22 since 2019
2921: 12
2020: 4
2019: 6

While Saban does engage in roster management (this doesn't include greyshirting or players stashed at junior colleges), Kelly does the same thing.

Yeah, I just looked at their 2019 recruiting class and see
by Moff  (2021-04-22 18:50:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

that of the 27 recruits plus 2 transfers, all but 5 were still on the roster last season. For a couple of them it looks like there were reasons other than ability for the transfer.

In our '86 recruiting class, 5 guys didn't last long. For the 1987, class 7 guys were gone within a couple years.

For their 2018 recruiting class, I only see three guys not
by Moff  (2021-04-22 19:29:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

on last year's roster.

Eyabi Anoma was dismissed from Alabama and then Houston per this linked article.

Jerome Ford transferred to Cincinnati.

Layne Hatcher to Arkansas State.

This is less turnover than we had when we were raking in No. 1 classes every year.

Looks like a good move for Hatcher:

"2019: Sun Belt Conference Freshman of the Year . . . Started the final nine games of the season, including a 34-26 Camellia Bowl victory . . . Finished the season 204-of-310 passing for 2,946 yards and 27 touchdowns . . . 27 touchdown passes tied the second most in school history while ranking third in the Sun Belt 23rd in the nation last season . . . Posted a 167.9 pass efficiency rating that was the second best in Sun Belt history, and in 2019 was tops in the league and ranked sixth in the country...."

Entering the portal doesn't necessarily result in a transfer
by knutesteen  (2021-04-22 20:32:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

correct? That's like getting your potential draft interest provided and then deciding to play another season.

I think that's right. They can retract it. *
by Moff  (2021-04-22 20:40:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sabin culls the herd to reach the desired outcome.
by hibernianangst  (2021-04-22 17:26:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It appears he views the signing of a scholarship as nothing more than the privilege or ticket to attend the annual tryout camp.

I wonder if he also pushes out verbal commits
by MrE  (2021-04-22 21:39:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

when he gets traction with a better recruit or sours on a commit.

It is not like we are without sin *
by ACross  (2021-04-22 21:25:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just ask Jack Nickel
by Jvan  (2021-04-22 22:25:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Killed in the womb.

Post PG-13 *
by RJD  (2021-04-24 19:03:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That seems to answer the question...
by 105Marquette  (2021-04-22 15:50:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"How does Saban convince more 5-stars to join a roster that's already crammed with 5 -stars?"

At some point the 4.9-star recruits realize only 11 guys can get on the field.

right now it is a game of musical chairs
by jt  (2021-04-22 15:37:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

we're seeing a lot of bigger school kids ending up at mid major types of places and a lot of mid major guys struggling to find landing spots at all.

Michigan had 60..Dakich blamed that on Harbaugh's
by TWO  (2021-04-22 15:34:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

quirky personality.

edit: Am I the only one who thinks Dakich is a total dbag?

who is Dakich? *
by tmr779  (2021-04-23 15:21:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Well, so is Harbaugh
by Irish Warrior  (2021-04-23 15:17:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but, I suppose that goes without saying.

No, you’re not *
by Son of Galway  (2021-04-23 00:04:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He’s that, and then some *
by GolfJunkie17  (2021-04-22 21:19:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No, you're not the only one *
by ndzippy  (2021-04-22 18:44:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post