in an obvious pass pro situation, the NG one on one with
by jt (2021-04-20 00:57:25)
Edited on 2021-04-20 01:00:02

In reply to: Maybe our center is bad?  posted by molecular

the center is a huge advantage for the defense; it's a big reason why defenses like a 3 man front in nickel or dime, because the offensive line call almost always defaults to either man (5-0) protection or 5 man slide. That gives your interior DL a one on one with someone (the center in 5-0 and either the center or guard in a 5 man slide, depending on what gap he wants to rush) and it puts a back on one of your outside rushers (or he could be in a hot route, I suppose).

If you have a center who can consistently block a good pass rushing NG one on one it is a huge equalizer, especially if the nose guard has a 2 way go and can rush either A. If he can block him one on one, you can go with the 5-0 call and have the guards on the DE (most likely; usually responsibility is first DL his side of the ball) and the T outside on the edge with a back helping A gap to D gap (or hot). If you have to 5 man slide and the qb slides the wrong side, you can end up with an overload blitz and multiple guys unblocked.

Now, I hate that defensive scheme against a good rushing attack, because IMO it leaves a lot of bubbles in the interior of the defense (or if your DE are playing inside leverage in a 4 or 4i vs the tackle, bubbles in C gap) and you can get creased.