Maybe our center is bad?
by molecular (2021-04-19 22:54:25)

In reply to: Sounds like Hinish may be biased too  posted by Athlete37

And that is why he is winning more one on one matchups?

He's talking about the centers playing for our opponents *
by Jvan  (2021-04-20 12:19:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in an obvious pass pro situation, the NG one on one with
by jt  (2021-04-20 00:57:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the center is a huge advantage for the defense; it's a big reason why defenses like a 3 man front in nickel or dime, because the offensive line call almost always defaults to either man (5-0) protection or 5 man slide. That gives your interior DL a one on one with someone (the center in 5-0 and either the center or guard in a 5 man slide, depending on what gap he wants to rush) and it puts a back on one of your outside rushers (or he could be in a hot route, I suppose).

If you have a center who can consistently block a good pass rushing NG one on one it is a huge equalizer, especially if the nose guard has a 2 way go and can rush either A. If he can block him one on one, you can go with the 5-0 call and have the guards on the DE (most likely; usually responsibility is first DL his side of the ball) and the T outside on the edge with a back helping A gap to D gap (or hot). If you have to 5 man slide and the qb slides the wrong side, you can end up with an overload blitz and multiple guys unblocked.

Now, I hate that defensive scheme against a good rushing attack, because IMO it leaves a lot of bubbles in the interior of the defense (or if your DE are playing inside leverage in a 4 or 4i vs the tackle, bubbles in C gap) and you can get creased.