Earth to Brian Kelly
by Hanratty5ND (2021-04-17 14:58:28)

You can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit, you dumbass. Over 10 years at ND and you are still clueless. Learned zilch from all the Bama, Clemson,and OSU blowouts.

Expecting WR's Lenzy. Keyes, and Wilkins to make 'the next step' and be "great" is pure folly. Somewhere in there Kelly is absolving himself of recruiting failures.

OSU's #4,#5,and #6 WR's are better than ND's 1 thru 3. No exaggeration.

Go out and recruit better WR's and if that requires changing the WR coach, so be it.

Lots of injuries with those names. *
by 84david  (2021-04-18 15:53:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You drank 12 beers last night too, huh? *
by mocopdx  (2021-04-18 14:10:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Are the top 3 chicken salads that much better than 4-6? *
by Widespread Irish  (2021-04-18 03:50:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This post is in the money. *
by Simmle65  (2021-04-17 22:38:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One of the best I’ve seen *
by drmurray  (2021-04-18 08:47:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm willing to bet that if Kelly could develop a QB.
by daviehamsufferer97  (2021-04-17 22:32:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Our WRs would look great.

Other than taking a “shit”, what have you accomplished ...
by LAW83  (2021-04-18 06:53:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

in life? There’s a singular champion each year. In you’re world, is every other football a god damn failure? Ass clown !

It's unrealistic to expect a championship every year.
by revressbo  (2021-04-18 11:35:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

First of all, I agree with you that I don't really understand why the OP posted what he did. I don't necessarily disagree with the content of the OP, but, out of context and with its tone, it comes across as complaining just to complain and not extremely productive. Just my opinion.

With that said... I don't think it's unrealistic to expect the head coach at Notre Dame to, at least once in 11 seasons, field at least one team that legitimately competes for the national championship. Brian Kelly has yet to do that. (No, 2012, 2018 and 2020 do not count. 2017 Georgia is the type I mean.)

ND as an institution and many in the fanbase try to have it both ways. We like to act like we're special and different and more prestigious and better than everyone else (which I actually agree with a lot), and yet, try to imply it's "too hard" and tamper expectations. You can't have it both ways. (Bryan Driskell had a great article about this in the wake of the Alabama loss. ND tries to play both sides of the fence, emphasizing how special it is for money/prestige/notoriety/recruiting, while simultaneously making excuses to keep the fanbase from bringing out the knives/pitchforks. Pick one side of the fence. Either you are special and trying to compete for championships or you're not. Stop acting like you can do both.)

"Graduating champions" (emphasis on the champions) isn't my slogan. It's ND's/Kelly's. But then he'll make excuses like "Alabama destroys everyone." Was it true this year? Yes. But he could've said the same thing about Clemson in 2018 after we got destroyed by them and then they also destroyed Alabama. What happened since then? Alabama worked to become the greatest offense of all time (and possibly the greatest team of all time). We stayed content. In 2022, of the three teams dominated in the CFP this past year, which one(s) do you think are most likely to be able to pull a 2020 Alabama, and which one(s) will not?

Let's build all the strawmen in one thread *
by miamioh_irishfan  (2021-04-18 10:53:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And I thought grammar and spelling were important for
by ndstein04  (2021-04-18 10:07:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

lawyers. Your third grade teachers might want to revisit the grades they gave you. You’re being a pickle chugger. See how easy it is to use the correct form.

Interesting
by drmurray  (2021-04-18 08:50:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’m thinking about adding “taking a shit” to my resume.

“Having bad gas” has already been an effective door opener for me.

Enlighten me on Kelly’s great QB track record *
by Freight Train  (2021-04-18 08:32:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The most recent starter solidified his place in ND lore this
by LAW83  (2021-04-18 08:58:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

season, didn’t he? He’ll also more likely be drafted, or be given an opportunity to make an NFL team this upcoming season. The team is competitive and entertaining . Notre Dame isn’t unfortunately the desired destination for every 5* QB graduating high school anymore. Hasn’t been for several decades.
Hell yes. That’s current coach’s fault too?

Ian Book doesn’t even approach a place in ND lore.
by 2ndstreeter  (2021-04-18 16:00:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ND has quarterback legends and that’s what tradition and lore are made of. We can all name the names, the Heisman winners, national champions, etc. and Book is not on that list.

You've hit upon the recipe for being ordinary. *
by CJC  (2021-04-18 13:58:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We all agree Book played well this past season
by 96_ND  (2021-04-18 10:44:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think we would also agree that Book had some amazing plays and deserves high recognition for his contributions as a QB at ND. However, in watching his performance this past season much more credit goes to what Book brought to ND as a player and a competitor than anything he learned at ND.

It is more than fair to criticize Kelly in terms of his offense and QB development. Outside of Reese not a single QB has has shown improvement and his offense continues to be ineffective against top teams. No one is expecting a NC every year. However when the same deficiencies are apparent every season and there are no changes or measures being made to address them it is more than fair to call out the HC, especially considering all the resources he has been given.

Strangely, Alabama comes to mind
by Irish2003  (2021-04-18 12:09:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Fully agree on Book, and will miss him at ND.

Obviously, no coach is going to match up to Saban and he's built a machine not just for the players but also the mid-career coaching tuneup - Sarkisian, Strong, Lane, Locksley, O'Brian, Marrone - but solely in terms of scheme, I was thinking of the start of their run vs. what it is now. McElroy, Coker, and McCarron were guys who wouldn't screw up, but the scheme was based around a world class defense, punishing OL, and those sledgehammer RB's rather than a QB who could hurt you. He hated the spread, but adapted, and now they've become an explosive team across the board both with QB's like Tua, Jones, Hurd, and WR's like Smith & Waddle while still having the great defense, OL, and sledgehammer RB/LB in Harris. On your second paragraph, I am very curious to see what Tommy does on the other side of the playsheet. Like Book, he got the most out of his talent as a player, and I think we have a stout enough defense (IMO Freeman is a HR hire; like his predecessor we won't have him long, but glad he's here!) + talent gap over most of our schedule where we can open things up, and guys like Lenzy have the athleticism to open things up.

by Moff  (2021-04-18 08:26:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Take this posting style to Reddit *
by DBCooper  (2021-04-18 09:18:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’ve taken it behind the Chevron. *
by Moff  (2021-04-18 10:02:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’ll share one thing . The expectations of a select few on..
by LAW83  (2021-04-18 08:48:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

this board are unrealistic. The same bitching everyday. Happy to meet up . What works for you ?

How's the company line taste? *
by miamioh_irishfan  (2021-04-18 21:24:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is it unrealistic to expect a NC at least once in 11 years?
by Wolfetone  (2021-04-18 11:20:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Or at least a major bowl win? I don't think so....Or a head coach
who works his ass off recruiting?

by Moff  (2021-04-18 08:53:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

are you sure that he didn't say "meat up?"
by jt  (2021-04-18 11:40:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

perhaps he has tickets to a meat raffle or something.

by Moff  (2021-04-18 11:46:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the left hook is tricky
by jt  (2021-04-18 18:09:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

so many people think that it's a big punch, when the reality is that it's a close in/body shot type of counterpunch used to set up bigger punches.

If you're getting too "long" with that hook, it's ineffective.

* (link)
by Moff  (2021-04-18 18:47:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

looks more like straight lefts most of the time
by jt  (2021-04-18 21:17:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but I mean, I could be wrong. I'm not going to argue with the boxing analysts.

I think of a hook as when you're in close (usually after throwing a big straight) and you're trying to get the guys hands down and you throw that quick punch to the ribs.

I’d like to see where this goes. *
by Inigomontoya  (2021-04-18 10:52:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I get to play Sundance (link)
by OldIrishFan  (2021-04-18 14:38:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think any team would want to have Lenzy and Austin
by SEE  (2021-04-17 16:38:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

same for 5-star Jordan Johnson and Lorenzo Styles. Lenzy on speed alone.

Avery Davis looked very good last year, he was open a lot more than he was targeted.

ND has some high draft potential talent if they can stay healthy and we can get a QB who anticipates throws.

Book made a lot of spectacular plays that wouldn't have been necessary if he had made better reads or had better anticipation.

Kelly has to be more willing to play younger players earlier.

Everyone wants our WR’s yet...
by viciousweinerdog  (2021-04-18 00:13:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We started

-A WR in Davis who wasn’t good enough to play QB so they moved him to RB. He wasn’t good enough at RB so they moved him to DB. He wasn’t good enough at DB so they moved him to WR. Not good enough at 3 positions but one of the best 3 WRs we have.

-a WR in McKinley who couldn’t get any meaningful minutes until his senior year.

- a WR in Skowrenek that played for powerhouse NW and was good enough to start for us, immediately.

Do better.
by bill_brasky  (2021-04-18 09:12:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You can make your point without shitting on players.

Hopefully someone alerts BK of this urgent message brd post *
by ND44  (2021-04-17 15:53:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Earth to Brint. Earth to Meekus. *
by garbageplate  (2021-04-17 15:13:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This seems like an "Old Man Yells at Cloud" post.....
by Marine Domer  (2021-04-17 15:02:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is there any context here? Or did you just feel like yelling?

Give me five bees for a quarter! *
by Revue Party  (2021-04-17 18:00:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Old, gray mare just ain't what she used to be.... *
by ribs  (2021-04-18 10:16:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Which was the style at the time. *
by PWK2  (2021-04-18 08:36:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Get off that table Mable!
by Goldhelmethead  (2021-04-17 22:23:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That Quarters for beer!!

I don’t get the context
by drmurray  (2021-04-18 08:52:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But I liked this anyway. It seems like the right post at the right time.