I know Matt Balis is a terrific S&C coach, but he doesn't
by fr.langeboy (2021-02-19 16:45:20)

share Rockne and Gipp stories with his athletes the way Fr.Lange did with us. Nor was he the 4th strongest man in the world or world record holder in the bench press, as Fr.Lange was. It was primitive by today's standards, but Fr.Lange's gym was a very special place, overseen by a singular human being.

How many eggs did Fr Lange eat for breakfast? *
by arch_moore  (2021-02-21 08:32:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Great read. Thanks! *
by Barney68  (2021-02-20 13:56:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Did that story seem a tad homo-erotic? Asking for a friend.. *
by Frank Drebin  (2021-02-20 12:57:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nope.
by Otter  (2021-02-21 13:26:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What tickled your gay fancy?

There's a significant testicular focus
by elterrible  (2021-02-22 08:40:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"They ought to cut the Pope's balls off,"
"Don't come back or I'll etch my name on your balls!"

I think that's just busting balls
by Otter  (2021-02-22 13:12:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Have you ever used that term? Or have you or your friends accused someone of not having the balls to carry out an action? I bet you have.

Here's where I am. A longtime poster has considerable respect for Fr. Lange, to the point that his handle honor's the priest.

He's certainly not alone as a lot of older posters here have memories that are similar at least.

The customs of that era are strange to us and don't match the norms we have at Planet Fitness. I get that.

The priesthood has also been implicated in more of its fair share of molestation crimes during the time period discussed. All of that stipulated.

That said, I have heard nobody mention any accusations against Fr. Lange. He was certainly eccentric but I knew plenty of those types who weren't criminals or deviants. I think it's out of line for people to piss all over a thread that was started to pay homage to a dead priest that meant a lot to one of our posters. Yeah, it's a giggle and to call out the difference in norms from the 40s and 50s to now? That's fine. But the comments that joke or assume that Fr. Lange was a predator are simply sad and not appropriate on this board.

I was just breaking balls
by elterrible  (2021-02-22 14:41:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I enjoyed the article

I would never say anything on a message board that I
by fr.langeboy  (2021-02-22 13:57:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

wouldn't say to someone's face. That would be cowardly. And think about this: Fr. Lange is still being talked about at Notre Dame, 51 years after he died. My name is still in the Notre Dame record books, 51 years after I graduated. How many of the taunters will be remembered half a century after they leave their alma mater?

he sounds like an interesting character
by jt  (2021-02-22 17:19:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

all joking aside, I'm glad that you were able to be around him and it is obvious that he had a positive impact on your life.

Blaine and Antoine would approve.
by SWPaDem  (2021-02-21 11:26:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Responding for a friend.

Ok fine *
by Nyirish08  (2021-02-21 11:17:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This is uncalled for. *
by Otter  (2021-02-21 13:25:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

back in the day, priests could walk around shirtless
by jt  (2021-02-20 16:39:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and hang out with young men who were also shirtless and nobody questioned it.

And nobody questioned all the grunting they heard *
by strangebrew  (2021-02-21 00:10:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Is your friend Fat Eddy?
by Hatchet Man  (2021-02-20 15:16:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One of the greatest gift was my parents ever gave me was insisting that I swim competitively. I passed the ridiculous swim test and did not have to see FE every day.

I saw him every day - before and after practice,.
by ODSCHOOL  (2021-02-22 10:09:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My freshman year was the first year of freshman eligibility since WWii, I was told by everbody else on varsity that I would have to room with Fat Eddy and the bus driver. It has scarred me for life,

Really fascinating article. Thank you for sharing.
by doghoused  (2021-02-20 06:33:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Fr. Lange would've hated me. I was one of the 80% and my most strenuous weight lifting at ND was 16-oz. curls. Perhaps he would have credited me for many reps.

Enjoyed that, thanks *
by ND1986  (2021-02-20 01:44:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Enjoyed the article, very impressive man *
by trout  (2021-02-19 18:57:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Did you bench in the nude? *
by ACross  (2021-02-19 18:35:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Seems like a real bear of a man *
by Nyirish08  (2021-02-20 09:44:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Grrrr *
by Brahms  (2021-02-20 23:14:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Only on squat day *
by IrishLep  (2021-02-20 09:02:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Only when oiled up. *
by BeastOfBourbon  (2021-02-19 21:24:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

it's not 1988 anymore
by jt  (2021-02-19 19:32:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

we have rules these days.

Im laughing out loud
by Goldhelmethead  (2021-02-19 18:49:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No seriously.

I've heard of Fr. Lange before but never read that '87 story
by irishlaw2010  (2021-02-19 18:08:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It reads like a folktale about Paul Bunyan or John Henry. A larger than life character. Thank you for writing/sharing it.