It was a monsoon there in 1985. No snow.
by Moff (2021-02-18 17:34:59)

In reply to: At Penn State 1985, perhaps. Snow and rain... *  posted by Homeboy73

It snowed there during the 1987 game and we lost, but not for the entire game. I had the pleasure of being at both.

87 game: coldest I've ever been
by Flanner89  (2021-02-19 09:36:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was at the '85 and '87 games as well. Stayed with a good friend of mine both times. The 1987 game he was in a frat house, and the boiler broke, so we didn't have hot water or heat in the house the entire weekend. Plus I only had tennis shoes and for some reason no socks, so I was frozen at that game.
And those stupid frozen marshmallows being thrown all over in the student section. Actually that may have been one of the highlights of the game -- throwing those marshmallows back at the PSU students all around me in my ND gear.

The two worst games I ever attended.
by SWPaDem  (2021-02-19 07:37:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sitting with my dad both times three or four hundred rows up at the top of that erector set on aluminum benches with the coldest rain and snow coming at you from every direction. And then there were the games themselves, especially the 1985 game.

As I recall, my dad was not Gerry Faust's biggest fan (yours truly also). The Miami game couldn't come soon enough. I remember not even hating Jimmy Johnson as much as maybe I should have as I realized he was the definitive agent of change - as if there was any doubt at that sorrowful time.

My dad gave Lou a pass after the 1987 game as you could see we were indeed headed somewhere good with him.

I hate that Stadium and almost all of their fans. Ask Band
by NDFlyer  (2021-02-19 13:41:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

members how they enjoyed marching there in 2007. My daughter said it was the only time she felt fear for her safety. Drenched in beer, middle aged women giving her the finger, people in their faces screaming the F bomb. She hates them too. Unfortunately, my nieces went there and they worship the great enabler, so I need to sit on those feelings at family gatherings.

Same experience in 1987.
by Moff  (2021-02-19 15:46:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

After the last second loss on the failed 2 point conversion, we got to walk off the field through the crowd under the stands. They basically stop pedestrian traffic under stands to allow the visiting team through to the little lockerroom building under there. So their fans lined up on either side, point blank. I remember one guy yelling "taste it you f***ing losers!" Me being me, I stopped nose to nose with him and gave him my death stare. I'm told its pretty, pretty, pretty scary. He briefly shut his mouth. I turned to his wife and said "you must be very proud." At that point one of the players shoved me in the back to get me moving, telling me he wasn't worth it.

Fortunately, I know a lot of good people that went to Penn State, so I am not going to hold it against all of them, but they certainly have a trashy element.

The heart of Pennsyltucky *
by ksqdomer  (2021-02-19 16:28:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You are right. Heavy snow on the drive there
by Homeboy73  (2021-02-18 18:42:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

from New York/New Jersey, but turned to rain monsoon on approaching Happy Valley.