Who's #3 Jersey is it that someone buys? *
by Irishdog80 (2021-01-15 00:47:16)

In reply to: Name, image and likeness discussions getting interesting  posted by jt

This user did not provide content for this post

Joe Montana should get a check every time.
by 84david  (2021-01-15 09:45:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Every #3 is for Joe.

Babe Ruth will see Joe in court *
by Frank Drebin  (2021-01-15 14:32:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Demetrious Jones, duh *
by ColoNDFan  (2021-01-15 09:42:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

“Last time I checked no busters wore #3”
by captaineclectic  (2021-01-15 10:28:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

This would belong in the dictionary next to “tempting fate” if Charles Weis had been born mute.

Good point (link)
by Irishdog80  (2021-01-15 18:01:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

duh
by irishrock  (2021-01-15 09:23:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Arnaz Battle

(who I enjoyed watching as a player)

that's going to be separate
by jt  (2021-01-15 01:25:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

my guess would be that someone would have to buy the jersey (with the school getting the proceeds) and then the player might be able to autograph it down the line for a fee (or whatever).

Don't confuse the issue. Basically, at the end of the day yours is a nonsense question.

I don't think it's nonsense
by HTownND  (2021-01-15 14:20:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think it's legitimate, because traditionally with the pro teams, the money goes to the players association and is distributed evenly to the players.

Are the college players going to have an "association" or union that tracks and distributes it? Is it up to the university to figure out?

Apparel and merch is a huge piece of the revenue pie. If I buy my nephew a Number 11 Texas jersey, who gets the money, Major Applewhite or Sam Ehlinger? What if I don't put a name on it? What if I do?

It's not a reason not to do it and it's not the main question, but it's an important one to figure out given the amount of money tied to jerseys and merchandise. For the professionals now, even if your jersey sells more, Mike Trout isn't getting a bigger check from the MLBPA. But he makes more than most on other endorsement deals, etc.

Is that how it's going to be for college? The money gets shared evenly for some things, and then things like autographs and commercials is where a given player can make more than someone else? I'm all for the players finally getting a cut. But I think they need to figure this out some more. What about walk ons? Who counts for that "pool"? I think they are all good/important questions that the players and schools need to figure out. Because if they don't follow what the other professional sports have done, and seek to blaze a new/different path, I could see it going poorly.

No, it's set up to go to the school and would remain so
by jt  (2021-01-15 18:11:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

it's completely separate, and I've gone into the reasons already several times. The schools would have nothing to do with paying the players outside of the scholarship/room and board/meal plan.

It's nonsense and a way to divert attention.

To answer your question, the athletes would not have a union or association but they would have the ability to gain representation for the purpose of generating endorsement income. The schools would maintain their own likeness/merchandise rights.

I have an 84 jersey for my class.
by 84david  (2021-01-15 16:16:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Who gets that dough? hi

the school
by jt  (2021-01-15 18:12:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How is this so hard to understand?

I tell you what, all of this information (including outlines of the NCAA proposal) is out there. These questions are not hard to answer.

the correct answer is
by 84david  (2021-01-17 16:56:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Montana.

My love for ND started with him.

Exactly. *
by Irishdog80  (2021-01-15 14:35:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As someone that has spent his entire career working in
by Irishdog80  (2021-01-15 13:24:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

trademark licensing I assure you my question is not "a nonsense question", but go ahead and keep thinking that way if it makes you feel better.

Most schools have a player's name on the back of their jersey making the issue somewhat less complicated. Trade dress also comes into play along with any "agreements" players may have signed in the past and myriad other issues depending upon the school.

Bottom line...it is a Pandora's box requiring a lot of sorting through before the legal issues are settled.