That is a stupid take *
by NavyJoe (2021-01-04 21:16:13)

In reply to: Kelly has brought Notre Dame to the point where  posted by dwjm3

This user did not provide content for this post

Not it isn’t
by dwjm3  (2021-01-04 21:19:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Heading into year 12 the program shouldn’t be in position where a three star QB castoff could be starting. It is a mark of poor Qb recruitment and development.

i immediately discount posts that refer to a college senior
by vivaflanner  (2021-01-05 03:30:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

by his high school star rating. I have no idea if this kid is any good or not, but his rating 4 years ago by some recruiting site is totally irrelevant compared to what he did on the field for Wisconsin in the Big 10, as a college starter. Citing his star rating makes no point.

Yes it is.
by NDMike2001  (2021-01-04 22:02:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

An NC state castaway did OK once.

Kelly should be judged by a lot of things. But by taking a transfer that I doubt you’ve seen play (in an important position no less) shouldn’t be one.

Oh I've seen him play
by dwjm3  (2021-01-04 22:15:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My old man is a UW alum and I attend Wisconsin games from time to time. Maybe you should stay away from making assumptions about what I may have seen.

It seems like you're objecting to this more on principle...
by Kbyrnes  (2021-01-04 23:00:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...than on an evaluation of what he can contribute right now. Shoulda, coulda, woulda is quite justified with respect to Kelly, but Coan is in, so the most relevant judgement regarding him is what he can do for us, not what it's a sign of on some grander scale.

That is a fair assessment
by dwjm3  (2021-01-04 23:11:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I am thinking about more from the top down perspective than a pure bottoms up evaluation of Coan. It grinds my gears that we are in year 12 of a regime that needs to harvest QB talent from Wisconsin.

The situation is because the back up QB
by Ajax  (2021-01-04 23:18:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Left with 2 years of eligibility to be the starter at BC.

With the Covid rule he could have had 3 years at ND, doubt he would have stayed 3.

Be the starter at BC for 3 or ND at 2. He messed up.

From what I've seen, I'd rather have Coan.
by tdiddy07  (2021-01-05 09:24:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He has similar numbers but with more accuracy and a little better YPC and YPA, and he has a simpler, cleaner throw. He also looked good moving in the pocket to square up for a throw. And he stayed tall to throw over the middle. (He actually threw a seam!) And he looked like a similar runner.

The back up left because Kelly ran him off by making it
by tar  (2021-01-05 09:08:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Clear that he wasn’t going to be developed or given the coaching he needed to improve.

Kelly messed up by never playing him *
by Freight Train  (2021-01-04 23:41:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Then by all means elaborate...
by NDMike2001  (2021-01-04 22:24:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Why is he not a fit for Notre Dame? It’s your point. Help us understand.

He was Top-20 in passer rating last year
by NavyJoe  (2021-01-04 21:32:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

His star rating is immaterial...he has real games under his belt and has proven that he is a fine QB.

Do I need to point out all of the top programs that have started transfer quarterbacks in the past few years? Like the one that is about to play for the national championship? Or the one that won the national championship last year? Or the back-to-back-to-back Heisman finalists from Oklahoma?

Do I need to point out that taking a former starting QB
by dwjm3  (2021-01-04 21:38:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

from Alabama and Justin Fields may be a bit different than this guy

You think a guy that got buried on the OSU depth chart might be a bit different than thumbing through Wisconsin’s depth chart?

I guess in the end it doesn’t really matter. It is purgatory with Kelly anyways.

Depth chart? He started 18 games in 2018-2019.
by Revue Party  (2021-01-04 22:01:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Was injured this year.

We've got zero starts in the room now. I'm not sure we have 10 passes in the room now.

This is a no brainer.

All attempts to reason here are futile. He has staked claim
by dfcirish  (2021-01-05 13:06:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to a position that few agree with and is just flinging all arguments against the wall in hopes one will stick.

Some relevant circumstances at play.
by Bruno95  (2021-01-04 21:30:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He did well at Wisconsin and was the QB of their Rose Bowl team in 2019. But he got hurt, Mertz played well, and the job might not have been open. He is also a former lacrosse commit at ND and may have had some lingering affinity for the school. Whatever his star rating, that proxy isn’t as important as his actual college production.

He was in the national top 20 in passer rating and 7th in completion percentage in 2019, and he’s the taller type of QB we’ve been talking about for years. With an inexperienced line, an inexperienced and small QB is not ideal. As a bridge to Buchner, this makes sense for ND.

He's no longer a high school player
by jbrown_9999  (2021-01-04 21:27:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What his ranking was back in 2018 does not matter anymore. What type of player he is now matters.

Using your argument, Baker Mayfield should have never started since he was only a 3 star and had to walk-on at both Texas Tech and Oklahoma.

NC State forced out a former 2* QB who liked baseball too *
by athlete37  (2021-01-04 21:30:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yeah I’m sure he is going to turn into Russell Wilson under
by dwjm3  (2021-01-04 21:31:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Kelly’s mentorship.

The premise is flawed is all
by athlete37  (2021-01-04 21:39:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

LSU got Burrow, Ohio State needed Fields, Wilson won at Wisconsin, OU got Mayfield, Murray, and Hurts. Those guys are of mixed recruiting rankings.

This guy very well could suck under Kelly. Getting a transfer after one graduates, one transfers, and one has a knee injury is not an unwise move on its face alone though.

Russell Wilson wouldn't be Russell Wilson under doofus
by captaineclectic  (2021-01-04 21:38:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but these are two different issues -- whether this is a quality transfer pickup (yes) and whether we should trust Kelly to maximize this opportunity (no).

He was pretty good under O’Brien and Bielema
by JBrock18  (2021-01-04 22:03:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They aren’t exactly QB savants either.